Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Accidentally uninstalled built-in webcam

Credits go to Desmond Taylor for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Accidentally uninstalled built-in webcam
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've accidentally uninstalled the built-in webcam on my laptop (an Asus k501, according to the bottom of it). And I'm not sure how to re-install it.

I was trying to hit the "disable" button to turn it off, as I don't like leaving it on. But I just woke up, so I was tired and not watching what I was doing and must have hit "uninstall" instead.

So yeah, I don't know how to get my webcam working again. Any help would be appreciated.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

You can either look for the drivers and re-install it or go to the device manager and hopefully the drivers are still lurking around the system :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It no longer even appears in the device manager. And looking for the drivers is worrisome, because I don't know which websites I can trust, and the official website was maddeningly unhelpful. They wanted me to go to the device manager to view the webcam, which as I said I can no longer do.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Try restarting your laptop or pressing the key to enable/disable the cam

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Restarting fixed in entirely somehow. Why didn't I think of that before posting? Dunno, I'm gonna go crawl away into the stupid-people corner now.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Shh. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. :-/

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Shh. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Nothing to see? But I thought you did get it working!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Well, I was going to say the famous saying from "The IT Crowd".

"Have you turned it off and back on again?"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Just as a follow up, typically uninstalling a driver doesn't remove the actual driver from the OS's driver cache. It just un-registers the device itself. Once you restart, or do a manual "refresh devices" in the device manager, Windows will then attempt to install drivers for devices that aren't installed yet.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: