Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Welcome back, 1998

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Welcome back, 1998
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I received Matthew's old motherboard yesterday, put the machine together in about 45 minutes, then spent all night getting wifi, graphics, and sound drivers installed. It works great though, I'm running Windows 98 right now... Pretty much all of the hardware is now working. I have to edit system.ini to get rid of some annoying error messages next. I'm running with the case off right now and can hear a thing, even though there's a case fan on the back set to low (I could unplug it for complete silence). These old machines are a lot of fun... Here's a pic, had to install a usb mas storage driver to read it from my android pmp, unfortunately I'm not able to read from my iphone yet.

{"name":"604144","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c5f2d210f6f68c75dadde116a7b7be2.jpg","w":1600,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c5f2d210f6f68c75dadde116a7b7be2"}604144

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd suggest backing up an image to another hard drive, much easier to restore than reinstall every two months.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Everything feels snappy until you try to watch a YouTube video... then you realize how slow computers used to be. :-X

I remember going from a 386 to a 486 SX 25MHz and being amazed at the speed difference. :o

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I have fond memories of our 486-DXII, running at 66 MHz. It had a huge 420 MB harddrive and a whopping 4 MB RAM. I later added a 16 bit SoundBlaster, a 6 speed CD-ROM player and another 4 MB of RAM for a total of 8 MB.
Good times...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Good freaking luck to get a via mini-itx board to play h264. Mine can barely do Divx/Xvid. I've got the EPIA M10KN. 1ghz Nemiah processor.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't need to play any video with it.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Wow. In 98' I was still in school. I remember showing friends how to bring up taskman without logging in and run iexplore. No wonder the administrator never liked me.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I graduated from high school in 1998. :'(

That was the year BAF was born. Now he's all grown up. :-/

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I could have retired with a pension in '96 if I'd stayed in the marine corps. You kids get off my lawn!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Part of me wants to add back directinput (optional) and whatever else so A5 will run on Windows 98 again...

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I graduated from high school in 1998.

So did I! :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Part of me wants to add back directinput (optional) and whatever else so A5 will run on Windows 98 again...

Would take some work. The standard path stuff would need new code for 9x. Its api is XP+ only. As are some other functions used in the windows port (some are 2k+, some are xp+ iirc).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I feel pretty much the same nostalgia whenever I fire up IE 6 in a VM for testing purposes.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Nostalgia? then hear this: media player

Isn't quantized so you can cry even more. :)

It's almost done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

That sounds suspiciously like the gay song.

media player

>:(

But there is very little time left for nostalgia. Judgment day is coming to New Zealand in less than eight hours. :o

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yes you're right, I said I was trying to finish it. And as you can see hear, it's longer than the previous one.

who do you think I am, MTV?

Stop singing gay songs and rap this!! if you can muhahaha!

media player

PS: be careful with the basses I haven't equalized...

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

In 1998 I actually had a 286 and now I also own a PC running Windows 98. How's that for making you cry? ;)
Why do I have the notion that, if you change the lightlevels on that pic in the OP, it will turn into something indiscreet?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

weapon_S said:

Why do I have the notion that, if you change the lightlevels on that pic in the OP, it will turn into something indiscreet?

Now that you mention it... ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I graduated in 1999.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

So, I'm having second thoughts/reconsidering what I'm going to do with this computer. I already have a lot of projects on the go, and adding 4.4 development is starting to seem more and more like it would be too much for me to bare. So what I'm thinking of doing is sticking to the original plan of giving this sucker away. I'll install ubuntu on it (much more useful than Windows 98) and put it in kijiji.ca. Some poor kid without a computer might get their very own and that would be better than leaving it to collect dust in hopes I might actually use it some day.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I think I got married in 1998.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: