Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I Guess My Parachute Opened?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I Guess My Parachute Opened?
weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

bamccaig said:

So the general consensus seems to be that it was an ill-advised attempt to let me down gently and that I should just ignore it. That part's simple. The hard part though is, do I stop going to the sub shop, or if I do go back and run into her, do I just pretend there is an elephant in the room (i.e., not talk about it unless she brings it up)?

I don't have much experience with following through, but I've got a heck of a experience with backing down. You're doing it. You've got a chance. You've got nothing to lose. Go for broke! Why shouldn't she be the one who feels awkward when you come into that shop again?</bad advice>
She gave you her phone number! You should at least give her one call (to check it wasn't fake :P) to ask to go have a drink or tag along with her friends or something (is there something wrong with the latter ??? ).
P.S. the way your head works, it's the stuff what soap-opera's are made of :')

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

weapon_S said:

Why shouldn't she be the one who feels awkward when you come into that shop again?

She probably doesn't have a panel of geeks backing her, so that's at least one advantage you have :P

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

She probably doesn't have a panel of geeks backing her, so that's at least one advantage you have

And if she does have a panel of geeks backing her, she's perfect for you!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

She has a boyfriend. She gave you her number. What kind of girl is that. And are you honestly interested in a girl that has a boyfriend at the moment? How far would you go with her while she still has a boyfriend? Will you be enjoying the time when she is figuring out whether to dump the old boyfriend or to just stick with both him and you? My advice is to move on to the next one that doesn't have a boyfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

She probably doesn't have a panel of geeks backing her, so that's at least one advantage you have :P

You were faster than me, I was going to quote CGamesPlay:

Remember: when an Allegro.cc member asks you out, he has a whole panel of geek analysts behind him.

And one more that came to my mind:

jhuuskon said:

On such threads on allegro.cc forums, for every post analysing human female behaviour the probability of a terminal male error approaches one.

That said, you're thinking too much, but if you insist stop going for sandwiches, stay inside your cave, let your meal driven to home. Pay under your door in order to stay out of contact and so on :P

bamccaig said:

In this context a sub is a submarine sandwich. :)

Allright, so I got that almost right. I thought it's sandwich from Subway. But anyway without a context and with a bit of sick humour, one could think something else ;D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

She has a boyfriend. She gave you her number. What kind of girl is that.

Maybe her boyfriend beats her up worse than bambam would. Why shouldn't she upgrade? There's no long term commitment at that stage.

Or maybe she is getting tired of bambam stalking her, so she is giving him her number in the hopes he calls her so that her boyfriend will find out and subsequently seek out and destroy bambam.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Are you sure you didn't mean to say disadvantage? :P

She has a boyfriend. She gave you her number. What kind of girl is that.

I think she's just a very nice person. That's certainly the impression I've gotten chatting with her while she made sandwiches. She's very friendly with everybody that comes in. That is, instead of just outright saying no, she offered to be friends instead.

And are you honestly interested in a girl that has a boyfriend at the moment? How far would you go with her while she still has a boyfriend? Will you be enjoying the time when she is figuring out whether to dump the old boyfriend or to just stick with both him and you?

It more or less comes down to accepting friendship and just being friends or else refusing that. I don't even know her at this point so it really doesn't matter to me either way. Maybe she's the contradiction to my generalizations that I've been looking for. ;) Or maybe not. ;D

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

First apologize for not giving her your name. Second, give her your phone number and email address. Third, ask her what she likes to do, sports, books, games whatever. Fourth, tell her some of the things you like to do. Fifth, do some of those things together. Sixth, stop analyzing.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I thought people just stalked each other on Facebook these days.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Bob Keane said:

Fourth, tell her some of the things you like to do.

FTFY

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

Fuck being nice to people. They'll just exploit you for it. [..]. Now I'm enraged that my kindness is being taken advantage of. I hate people.

Quick, kill her while you still have a chance and before she can exploit and take advantage of your friendliness. You hate people.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Bob Keane said:

Fourth, tell her some of the things you like to do.

FTFY

TWIS. Or did you mean the bold for emphasis?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Bob Keane said:

TWIS. Or did you mean the bold for emphasis?

I meant the emphasis to be very selective about what he said he liked to do.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Thing is, you want love, she wants friendship. You'll pain every time you go out. Then her boyfriend will get jealous and beat you up with a baseball bat.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thing is, you want love, she wants friendship. You'll pain every time you go out. Then her boyfriend will get jealous and beat you up with a baseball bat.

I don't even know her. I just wanted to maybe get to know her. That's all. :-X I'm not invested in her at all. :P

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

bamccaig said:

I'm not invested in her at all.

The fact that you took the time to ask people on the internet for advice about her and what to do says otherwise.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I think we need a photo of the lovely lady, taken by stealth naturally, so we can offer more accurate advice.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

I don't even know her. I just wanted to maybe get to know her. That's all. :-X

Then what the heck are you still doing in here? Go, get it right and stop thinking too much.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm waiting for the day when both sides are a.cc members but they don't realize that. And both people create threads that describe the same situation. However, both sides have such a different view that it isn't obvious until 100 posts later when they are both giving each other terrible advice.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW said:

Then what the heck are you still doing in here? Go, get it right and stop thinking too much.

That would be a lot easier if I met women regularly. I never meet women. That's why I had to ask this one at work... :-/ I was asking more for ideas of what to do with her (i.e., go bowling, see a movie, ...). Nothing I can think of seems like a non-date. Of course, there was a pretty unanimous NOTHING, so that settles that. :P

I'm waiting for the day when both sides are a.cc members but they don't realize that. And both people create threads that describe the same situation. However, both sides have such a different view that it isn't obvious until 100 posts later when they are both giving each other terrible advice.

You mean when they start complaining about the other person doing the things they told them to do? ;D

I don't see this happening because women are very rare here and women that would value our opinions on relationships are even moreso. As for giving each other terrible advice, I expect that would be one-sided. That is, the woman would be giving stupid encoded messages, whereas the man would likely just outright say exactly what to do (sadly, she would probably not take this advice). :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

Nothing I can think of seems like a non-date.

Hint: The term "date" refers to the calendar date you're supposed to go do something. So if you have an appointment to get audited by that ugly old woman at the IRS, you have a date with her. :o

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

bamccaig said:

Nothing I can think of seems like a non-date

If you arrange a time and place to meet a woman, you can be sure she thinks it is a date. Of course, in this case it would be since you are clearly interested in her. :P

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Or a rendez vous as the french say :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

I was asking more for ideas of what to do with her (i.e., go bowling, see a movie, ...). Nothing I can think of seems like a non-date. Of course, there was a pretty unanimous NOTHING, so that settles that.

--bamccaig.reading_comprehension;

Edgar said:

Take her out to somewhere neutral, like a musuem or art gallery. If she still likes you, try going to a concert or a show together somewhere.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This is all silliness! Just proceed as normal, as if nothing happened. When she asks you why you never called, pretend you don't understand. She will think she is making it all up. Then she will want you very badly. :o

Go to: