Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Terraria to be released 16.5 on Steam

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Terraria to be released 16.5 on Steam
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm going to try summoning the 'Eye of Cthulu' tonight with a coworker (who is in the same boat as you as far as progressing through the game). You should join us. It will be fun!

Sounds like fun. :D I'm there!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Yeah, I ended up buying the game :X
I'm having fun with it, but I agree that the beginning can be a bit annoying, especially if you are having trouble finding ores :\
Steam is still the suck though, I'm getting "Windows cannot find 'bin\SteamService.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." whenever I run Terraria; The game still runs anyway. (Also, SteamService.exe is indeed in the Steam\Bin\ directory)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

^ that's why I tried a free game before parting with any cash

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm having fun with it, but I agree that the beginning can be a bit annoying, especially if you are having trouble finding ores :\

I find the beginning quite a bit harder than Minecraft. Once you find some life crystals and make / get some potions it gets much easier.

Quote:

Steam is still the suck though, I'm getting "Windows cannot find 'bin\SteamService.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." whenever I run Terraria; The game still runs anyway.

What version of Windows are you running? Have you checked the Steam forums?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

that's why I tried a free game before parting with any cash

I tried it before I bought it :X

What version of Windows are you running? Have you checked the Steam forums?

Win 7 64bit and no. I'd rather play Terraria than put the effort into fixing Steam.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I might buy this in a few weeks, once money starts coming in from my new job.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

are you living on the streets or something, it's the cost of a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps :P

but waiting is a good idea as they're still working on all the bugs and features they didn't get time to add (that, or they're off to Barbados with the cash).

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

are you living on the streets or something, it's the cost of a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps

I went grocery shopping yesterday. I have >counts< $3.01 to get me from now until the 31st, when I get my first paycheck from this job.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Don't say that, you make me feel bad ;)

Sell some of your bandwidth to your neighbours.

Neil.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If you're with AT&T, charge at least $15 per 50GB. Even if you're well under your limit.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

So, is anyone here going to host a server? :) I get the feeling it's more of a multiplayer game, so I'm not buying it unless somebody can host a server.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Currently the only available server is built into the game. Somebody has to log into Steam, start Terraria, and then create a server (which takes over that instance of the game). To connect yourself you then have to launch a second instance of Terraria (which Steam lets you do).

I ran a server instance on my desktop for Samuel Henderson and I. :) Of course, I don't trust Windows in a DMZ permanently (and unattended) so I'm afraid I won't be hosting one 24 hours a day... :P If they develop a Linux-compatible server (Mono should be able to run a .NET application sans XNA) then I can probably host it on my VPS, assuming it's headless.

There are public servers, but at least some of them have secret passwords and I'm sure most of them will suffer from griefers or PVP bullying. :P A private server is preferred.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

IIRC servers are limited to like 5 people, so that's why only a private server is feasible in the first place :X
I'd host one if I could, but my internet connection setup prevents me from doing so.

I get the feeling it's more of a multiplayer game

Some things look like they are a bit easier in a group, but some things are more fun singleplayer (like no fighting for items/ores).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Never heard of it until I looked at the trailer just now. Sooooo .... 2D MineCraft with better combat, essentially?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Not really. Terraria feels more like a game one can win, rather than just play.

I beat it a few hours ago.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I beat it a few hours ago.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this comment.

So what do you meant by "beat"?

Never heard of it until I looked at the trailer just now. Sooooo .... 2D MineCraft with better combat, essentially?

Not really, since the world building aspect is much less important, try watching the developers' Lets Play, or PBat's Lets Play.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

So what do you meant by "beat"?

The worlds are not infinite (generated on creation) and building is so much less valuable and worthwhile in Terraria it may as well not exist other than making NPC houses.

I've maxed out my gear, played through all content, fully explored a small, medium, and large map, so I've beaten the game.

In minecraft, exploration and building is the game, so in an infinite world is has a very high replay value. Terraria's worlds are actually quite small, so there isn't really much exploration. Even if there were, since gear doesn't degrade, there would be absolutely no challenge in it.

Not to say it wasn't the best game I've ever played--I played it for almost three days solid--but it certainly feels like it can be beaten. It isn't at all the "create your own fun" game Minecraft is.

That being said. If we could get a server up and have to opposing teams doing PVP, I would be VERY interested. I can see a reason to build in Terraria when someone else is trying to tear it down.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hey guys, you still losing the time talking about steam and bla bla bla while...

Gamasutra.com said:

Re-Logic's exploration-based 2D online game Terraria passed its 200,000 sales milestone Tuesday, the company said.

Not bad at all, eh?

1   2   3 

Go to: