Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Terraria to be released 16.5 on Steam

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Terraria to be released 16.5 on Steam
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I know there were a couple of you interested in Terraria, so in case you stopped following it or didn't notice, Terraria will be available on steam on the 16th of May, and will cost 9.99$ (at least for the first week).

I'm not sure if I'll get it because:
1) It's on Steam.
2) I've seen almost all of the game content on PBat's + the developers' LP on Youtube :X

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

And what is the problem with Steam?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Too much moisture is bad for electronics.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

DRM. Ridiculously expensive DRM, to boot.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

gnolam said:

DRM. Ridiculously expensive DRM, to boot

Oh noooo, sooo scarryyyy; we actually have to sometimes pay for things we want.

::)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

So you enjoy paying a 40% overprice for a clunky, buggy, and completely unnecessary DRM system? ???

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

gnolam said:

So you enjoy paying a 40% overprice for a clunky, buggy, and completely unnecessary DRM system?

Prices are standard retail, except during Steam sales which are very often. Doesn't feel clunky; subjective. I've never had any problems with buggy ownership. All content is tied to my account, not the hardware.

Steam is great 8-)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

gnolam said:

So you enjoy paying a 40% overprice for a clunky, buggy, and completely unnecessary DRM system?

Where I live, (Australia), steam prices are typically less than retail prices. I've never had problems with the steam DRM system. It has always worked first time every time online and offline, whenever I want to play. The "unnecessary" claim is highly questionable too, do you think piracy doesn't exist, or isn't a problem?

The only thing I don't like about Steam is that sometimes it starts automatically downloading an update for a game that I want to play right away.

-----------

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

My experience with steam matches Karadoc's. The larger Australian ISP have access to Australian steam servers that we generally don't have to pay for the downloads associated with it.

When you live in the EU and they decide that 1 euro = 1 usd and you end up paying $99 for a game that costs $70 usd everywhere else, (giving a 30% markup). I would be raged and refuse to use steam too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Look on the bright side: that markup goes straight to reinforcing the EU's economy for next time.

... I think.

[EDIT]
Unless Steam themselves do the conversion using particularly stingy exchange rates, in which case I agree.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

This:

Quote:

DRM.

Especially one that relies on the good fortune of someone else's servers and their temperaments, one that can force you to update your game even if you don't want to, one that installs your games wherever it wants.
Feel free to come up with more ways that Steam knows how to annoy you.

Timorg said:

When you live in the EU and they decide that 1 euro = 1 usd and you end up paying $99 for a game that costs $70 usd everywhere else, (giving a 30% markup). I would be raged and refuse to use steam too.

This is also damn annoying. Luckily they apparently charge USD, but MMOs for example (been a long while since I played one of those) usually pull that shit off.

I'd probably cave in and get it anyway, but I'll do it begrudgingly :(

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Especially one that relies on the good fortune of someone else's servers and their temperaments

You can play in offline mode.

Quote:

one that can force you to update your game even if you don't want to

You can configure if you want automatic updates, on a per game basis.

Quote:

one that installs your games wherever it wants.

It installs all the games inside the Steam folder.

I don't mind Steam itself, but I do mind their prices. That's why I only buy throuth them some indie games (specially when there's a discount). Other than that I buy retail since it's cheaper and I get a physical copy (importing from UK is nice too :P).

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Steam is a program, it goes in Program Files. (C:\Program Files\)
Terraria is a game, it goes in Games. (D:\Games\)

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

No it doesn't.

Some games run their own installer.

---

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

For me Steam is a gaming platform, so it goes in D:\Juegos (games in Spanish) :P. But I agree that having the option to install to a custom folder woudl be nice.

No it doesn't.

Some games run their own installer.

I've never come across a game that does that (and I have 50+ games in Steam). Even Eve Online, which doesn't use Steam for anything (not even for DRM, and you can launch it without needing to launch Steam) installs inside Steam.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For me:

• Steam is usually the same price or (more often) cheaper than retail.

• Saves me the trouble of swapping disks and slowly copying each game to the hard drive. While the network is probably slower, it is automated.

• Grants me easy access to games on multiple computers, and offers a network to keep track of game saves and friends, etc.

• Secures the games somewhat in a friendly manner so that game developers can feel safe without forcing abusive protection on me (though some still do >:().

Steam is great. I love it. The only annoyance that comes to mind is that I can't pin some games to the start menu or task bar, but that feels like a Microsoft Windows failure; not Steam's.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I believe Steam does have the second best DRM I have ever seen. Telltale's model I like better though. Main issue I have with Steam is you can get in a catch 22 with the off-line mode. Happened to me at least once.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

To be honest I haven't use steam, but I thought when you said that steam is bad, you had more important stuff to mention... Being a Indi game developer the more open markets out there the better..

I would like to know the process of uploading a game to the steam, since they have only a contact page... Well, that it's what I saw someday...

Timorg said:

Yes that's nothing, I have never understood why the hell a Mac Mini in the US cost 699$ and in the EU cost 699€.

699€ are ~975$... With what I buy a Mac Mini here I could buy a MacBook Air in the US.

And all the prices are the same int the AppStore...

Can someone explain me that?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I would like to know the process of uploading a game to the steam, since they have only a contact page... Well, that it's what I saw someday...

You don't just upload a game to Steam. VALVe is basically a publisher with Steam. You have to make an agreement with VALVe.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Steam DRM does not seem that bad compared to the DRM in some other AAA games. I've only been bitten by it twice (once was when Half-Life 2 came out and their authentication server went down) and once a couple of months ago when I was not able to play a game in offline mode (my internet connection was down).

The biggest problem I usually face is that I always forget my damn password since I always have the client auto-remember it...

Apparently Terraria should be release sometime around 2:00PM EST...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

To be honest I haven't use steam, but I thought when you said that steam is bad, you had more important stuff to mention...

I said it was a consideration against purchasing the game, and it is.
You know what works better IMO? The way the humble indie bundle is distributed. (and I don't mean the pay what you want thing)

Also, game is available: http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You know what works better IMO? The way the humble indie bundle is distributed.

Most Humble games have the option of being distributed over Steam and that's how I opt to get them in Windows. :) Otherwise, it's just a simple hash that gets you unlimited access to the downloads. I don't think that technique would be sufficient to deter piracy of big publisher games. :P

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

1) It's on Steam.

Yep, won't be getting it.

The "unnecessary" claim is highly questionable too, do you think piracy doesn't exist, or isn't a problem?

DRM does not lower the rate of piracy. In fact, having DRM, makes it more likely that your game WILL be pirated -- sometimes by would-be buyers who just don't want to put up with it.

:P

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

DRM does not lower the rate of piracy.

The article they link to is far more informative. Once nice quote being

Quote:

Put another way, for every 1,000 pirated copies we eliminated, we created 1 additional sale.

This is also an interesting view on things (and it also links to the 1000:1 article)

bamccaig said:

Most Humble games have the option of being distributed over Steam and that's how I opt to get them in Windows.

I just used the regular download link and found it much simpler :)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

DRM does not lower the rate of piracy. In fact, having DRM, makes it more likely that your game WILL be pirated -- sometimes by would-be buyers who just don't want to put up with it.

DRM isn't intended to prevent piracy. It's intended to prevent first-day piracy because apparently most sales are first day. That is, if you can't pirate it first day, but really want to play it ASAP, then you just might buy it instead of pirating it.

The effectiveness or ineffectiveness is nearly impossible to truly measure. You can't compare indie game success with major game publishers. There are a lot of variables that can affect the sales. For example, big publishers are viewed as big, bad, rich corporations (i.e., your lost sale "won't hurt them") and indie shops are seen as the guy next door that is struggling to survive (i.e., needs every sale). The big publishers are also spending a LOT more on games than indie shops can likely afford (hundreds of millions), which means they need to recover much more money. :)

In any case, Steam's form of DRM is pretty painless most of the time. Some people will always get stung, but it's a pretty good compromise. :)

1   2   3 

Go to: