Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Terraria (2D minecraft like game)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Terraria (2D minecraft like game)
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

video

Has anyone seen this yet? It reminds me of Minecraft except it's 2D and it seems like there is waaay more enemy types and gear you can make. It's supposedly comming out in a few months. It may be worth a purchase depending on how much it costs...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Yep, I've watched all the developers Let's Play (check their youtube channel), and it looks like it is going to be awesome.
Also, not too much like minecraft.

It's supposedly comming out in a few months. It may be worth a purchase depending on how much it costs...

From the FAQ:

Quote:

When will Terraria be available to purchase?

You can expect to get your hands on Terraria in less than a few months.

Quote:

How much will Terraria cost?

We have not determined the price for Terraria, but we want to make sure that the game is affordable to everyone.

We should probably set up an Allegro server when the game comes out :)

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

That looks sooo much better than Shitecraft.

gonzoMD
Member #9,881
June 2008

looks great, the principe is great but minecraft causes eye cancer so this is a good alternative

Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

Could be interesting, but I'm not sure. The thing that makes Minecraft fun is that you can make some pretty cool stuff. I'm not sure how in-depth this will be. Looks like it is mostly just exploring and killing stuff.

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Elverion said:

Could be interesting, but I'm not sure. The thing that makes Minecraft fun is that you can make some pretty cool stuff. I'm not sure how in-depth this will be. Looks like it is mostly just exploring and killing stuff.

I've been watching the developer and tester 'Lets Play' videos and right now, there are more craftable objects to make than in Minecraft. I don't think there will be the equivalent of redstone circuitry though.

The worlds in Terraria are definitely not 'infinite' like in Minecraft.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Also, not too much like minecraft.

Really? Based on the video in the OP I'd say it's a blatant 2D rip-off (with understandable enhancements and modifications given the different perspective and relative ease of development).

Append: Not that that's a bad thing necessarily. It does look quite polished and fun. :)

Append: It also seems they went well above and beyond what Minecraft currently is. :)

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

bamccaig said:

Append: It also seems they went well above and beyond what Minecraft currently is. :)

Which is why they are not too much alike.
Terraria is focused around exploration, crafting and fighting enemies, whereas Minecraft is about building cool megastructures and cute little project.
Just because games share a few mechanics (in this case destructible\constructable environments and crafting) does not mean that the games are very similar. Just see what the developers playing Terraria spend most of their time on in the LPs (exploration and fighting) and compare that to what you spend most of your time on in Minecraft (Digging for iron and building cool stuff).
And just because I like crappy analogies:
Red Faction: 3D real time action game with destructible terrain.
Liero: 2D real time action game with destructible terrain and grappling hooks.

Quote:

Based on the video in the OP I'd say it's a blatant 2D rip-off

The trailer makes it look nothing like Minecraft because it looks like an action game, whereas Minecraft is not an action game.
I'd say they are less similar than AudioSurf and Those rhythm based shmups that began surfacing a while ago.

But this is really too long a post for such small a subject, so I'll stop here and resume anxiously waiting for Terraria.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

Really? Based on the video in the OP I'd say it's a blatant 2D rip-off (with understandable enhancements and modifications given the different perspective and relative ease of development).

I agree that both games start remarkably similar. In both your first priorities are getting wood, making a crafting table, building your shelter, making tools, and finally making torches...

After that though the games start diverging quite a bit. Terraria seems to get progressively more 'action' oriented the more you play & explore.

There's also NPCs that sell stuff you can't craft that move in over time after completing certain conditions (the merchant for example moves in when your house has a table, chair, light source, door and a player has at least 20 silver coins).

Terraria is also very anachronistic, typically your first weapons are a wooden sword and bow and arrow... and then a short while (maybe a few hours) later you are using a light sabre phase-blade and a minishark

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I heard the water mechanics for this game were much more in-depth. Supposed to have water pressure and pipes and such...

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I heard the water mechanics for this game were much more in-depth. Supposed to have water pressure and pipes and such...

I don't know about pressure and pipes, but the water definitely seems to act more naturally in Terraria.

There doesn't appear to be 'spring/source' water blocks either.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Which is why they are not too much alike.
Terraria is focused around exploration, crafting and fighting enemies, whereas Minecraft is about building cool megastructures and cute little project.
Just because games share a few mechanics (in this case destructible\constructable environments and crafting) does not mean that the games are very similar. Just see what the developers playing Terraria spend most of their time on in the LPs (exploration and fighting) and compare that to what you spend most of your time on in Minecraft (Digging for iron and building cool stuff).

I would argue that the differences are natural, however. In 2D, it's much more difficult to build interesting things in-game. In 3D, you can create pretty much anything with enough "pixels" AKA blocks. So traditionally Minecraft players have focused on the creativity side because the combat and [non-existent] story elements haven't really matured yet (probably because 3D adds a lot of complexity to everything). In Terraria I think it would have been an epic failure if they took that approach with development. Instead, it looks to me like they started out with a Minecraft base, translated to 2D, and built a 2D gaming experience on top of that. Not only is it fair to compare to Minecraft, but I think it's fair to call it a ripoff, albeit one that inevitably moved in a completely different direction (though I don't think I saw anything particularly original).

To me, Terraria looks like what expeienced 2D gamers (with programming and graphic experience) would come up with if they attempted to duplicate Minecraft in 2D, simply because a lot of things that Minecraft achieves are much more difficult (or impossible) to mimick in 2D, requiring you to change things around. The grappling hook, for example, looks to me like a necessary deviation. I would imagine that they started out with Minecraft in mind and the project naturally deviated. I think it's great, but I don't think it would be fair to say that Terraria wasn't greatly influenced by Minecraft.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I think it's safe to say that Terraria is a hybrid of games... I've seen it labeled 'Minecraft + Castlevania + Zelda' and 'Minecraft + Maplestory' which I think are pretty accurate descriptions. When asked in an interview what inspired Terraria, Redigit said that him and his team just really wanted to make a fun game that they would like o play. They weren't intentionally trying to make a 2D minecraft clone, but rather borrow ideas from it and several other games they loved.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Fuck, lost a whole post... lets try this again...

I don't know about pressure and pipes, but the water definitely seems to act more naturally in Terraria.

Yeah, so I saw the video above, and sent it to my office mate who I play Minecraft a bit with, and he goes, "yeah that's the game I was talking about!" He had just got done reading an article on Gamasutra on Cellular Automation... I haven't read the article yet, but from the first couple of paragraphs, I think he may have been confusing the titles of the games...

Redigit said that him and his team just really wanted to make a fun game

Just having watched the video above I can see that... It also made me realize, Notch (possibly unknowingly) is definitely lying when he says he just wants to make Minecraft fun... He's pushing a couple of different things, and fun is not at the top of the list... mostly he's pushing for theme, and I think also difficulty... he pushes the theme a bit here and there, but not by much -- just look at this video these guys are like "laser guns? those are fun, throw them in. who cares if they don't fit." This game is going to rock. 8-)

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

bamccaig said:

I think it's great, but I don't think it would be fair to say that Terraria wasn't greatly influenced by Minecraft.

Yeah, it is possible it is greatly influenced by Minecraft, however it is clear that it is its own game and definitely not a rip-off :P

I think it's safe to say that Terraria is a hybrid of games...

I think that's the fairest description of the relationship between Minecraft and Terraria.

Go to: