Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » [A5] dinput random crashes

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo and Matthew Leverton for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[A5] dinput random crashes
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Something I'm getting a lot is random crashes in dinput8.dll now that I'm using Allegro 5. Should I be using some other version? My game crashes in 5 - 30 seconds from startup and says it happened at dinput8.dll!6ce25738(). Usually (but not always) happens during a keypress. This is a port from Allegro 4; can anyone think of any gotchas I should be watching for? It's not crashing inside al_key_down() and that's all I'm really doing; just populating an array based off that and then using my own code ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Have you tried running the debug build of Allegro?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I've tried linking with monolith-mt-debug; it's a little more reliable but ultimately no change.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

There's a kernel32.dll, 5 allegro dll calls and then 10 dinput8.dll calls. It won't show me symbols or source though. It shows this in the disassembly though ...

6CE25738  cmp         dword ptr [edx+ecx*4],0FFFFFFFFh  

And it's always that address ... dunno how much that helps. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Does it list any allegro functions with line numbers?

Does it crash if you unplug your mouse?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

No allegro functions or lines or anything; just references to the dll. I'd try the mouse, but it's started being stubborn about crashing. :P

EDIT: It's intermittent, so it's tough to say, but it doesn't appear to crash at all with the mouse unplugged. Odd ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

A Google search revealed people with Microsoft Sidewinder mice reporting that dinput8.dll crashes in that same spot, with people then claiming it doesn't work with DirectInput 8. Don't know if your problem is related to something like that or not.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Huh. A Microsoft Sidewinder is what I'm using. Well, that sucks. I guess I'll start looking into that tomorrow but it sounds like there won't be an easy solution. :(

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I knew I should have just replied with "Unplug your Sidewinder mouse" from the very beginning. >:(

Go to: