Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Selling my game on my website

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Selling my game on my website
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I got approved by one of those credit card gateways so now I can take credit cards on my website (with a whopping maximum of $5 per transaction!) Anyway I put my game up for sale (the Windows version), and I don't know how to really spread the word about it. Hopefully I can make back enough to pay the monthly fee (it's only 10.50 but still)... Anybody got any good ideas on how I can spread the word a bit? I've posted on all of my sites/accounts like my website, twitter etc...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Maybe send places like PC Mag a comp copy to review? They get swamped with stuff like this but it doesn't hurt.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've posted on all of my sites/accounts like my website, twitter etc...

Hopefully you didn't forget to post the link there too. 8-)

Anyway, selling PC games is tough. I don't know what to say other than you probably won't make many sales, but at 10.50 it's still worth it to try.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I've tried sending demos and stuff to magazines, but they make it very difficult to find contact information of any kind. You basically have to buy the magazine and even then they make it hard to find. This usually involves sending a disk to them, which you will probably not even get a response... I kind of loathe them for that...

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

This may or may not be interesting to you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You basically have to buy the magazine

It takes money to make money, in this case, spectacularly little (the price of a few magazines? Srsly?). OTOH, maybe somebody can come up with a seductive line on reddit or something.

[EDIT]

Dennis said:

This [merchant.paypal.com] may or may not be interesting to you.

I think the problem is informing people that the game exists, not getting paid.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Arthur, it's not the price of the magazine that bothers me, it's that they don't so much as send a response whatsoever that they even received a CD demo. You just don't exist to them unless they happen to try your demo, but from my experience it's not even possible to address a CD for the right person because that information isn't available anywhere.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It's because they get swamped with this stuff! It's the media equivalent of "make money fast". Be creative, be open minded, find a way! Use the force, Luke!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Well, for PC World:

PCWorld Communications
501 Second Street
San Francisco CA 94107
Main Switchboard: (415) 243-0500
Main Fax: (415) 442-1891

One down, lots to go...

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

If you don't make much money, maybe follow the example of others and give the pc game away for free but create another version for ipod/android/xbox that is chargeable and the traffic from the free version should driver the others.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

He already is selling iPod / OS X versions.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I've got two addressed to PC World (though I don't think they do many/any games) and PC Gamer. Anyone else I could send a CD to?

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well I don't know if you want to sell your game just in your web page, otherwise you could use RegNow (Digital River), I don't know how it works but you set the price and your percentage, something like that, and then a lot of webpages can sell your game (obviously they'll also take a commission).

I already registered but I'm targeting Softonic

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Try mailing Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They're my favorite PC website and they spread the word about various indie games. :-* (They got some exclusive interviews with Notch too!)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Steam.

Send the game to Valve through their business portal and have it approved. They approve everything that they think is "fun". It doesn't even have to have polished graphics or anything.

Do this.

It must be done.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Thanks. For a long time I considered our game to be not up to Steam standards, but I think with all of the updates we've done it may be there, so I created an account for them and sent them an email. Wish me luck!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Good luck!

I will just wait until Steam's standards drop to my level before submitting things. It seems easier that way. 8-)

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Marketeers/promoters won't tell you this on a public forum, because they like to maintain the mistique of their profession, and it borders on illegal/immoral depending where you are in the world.
But knowing the industry from the inside, most "people" do this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Just do it "creatively" as marketing types say, i.e. create a layer of plausible deniability incase you are caught at it, or similar be smart and don't get caught.

www.justanotherturn.com

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Yodhe23 said:

it borders on illegal/immoral depending where you are in the world.

That depends on how deeply the politicians are indebted to the shills.

{"name":"jYblv.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2ad6f7a714fbf289558a22042a6f8bb0.jpg","w":1588,"h":2125,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2ad6f7a714fbf289558a22042a6f8bb0"}jYblv.jpg

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Could you upload a demo to miniclip.com?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

miniclip looks to be all online (flash) games, or did I miss a whole section? It even says "Welcome to Miniclip.com, the leading online games site, where you can play a large range of free online games".

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

To be honest, get your website "sorted", make it more friendly to use. Make it more simpler to navigate. For example group the different os version of the game together on the same page.

Add a PayPal option, I wouldn't expect people to be happy to give their credit card details to an "unknown" site like yours. At least give people more payment options.

www.justanotherturn.com

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I know it's not much help here, but if you consider doing an html5 game, here's a link to an online store.

What about the forum scene? Have you made posts in forums that you regularly visit that are game-centric? Word-of-mouth is a great tool...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Thanks for the advice. This is the only forum I visit regularly. The others I go to once in a blue moon. It would feel too much like spam to show up there only to post ads for my game. Part of the reason I didn't link to it here. Was more looking for marketing tips than anything. I'll send these cds out to the magazines, and hope to hear from Valve. I'm not really upset if I don't make any money (though I'm making some from the Apple stores)... though I'd like to make enough to live on eventually (I'm eating the government cheese right now, disability benefits). I don't need a lot.

1   2 

Go to: