Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Why is the MinGW Install Always a Hassle?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Why is the MinGW Install Always a Hassle?
Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I want to try out Allegro 5, and to do so I went off to download and install MinGW.

The last time I installed MinGW, and every time before that, it has been a hassle. Well, here I am doing it again, and nothing has gotten any better.

1. Go to MinGW.

2. Stare at the website trying to find the download link (It's a small sub-link on the left side).

3. Notice that installation documentation is only on the main page because it's "popular content" :-/ and it's not even visible unless you scroll down.

4. Find that the download page is just a link to SourceForge with 6 different folders ???

5. Feel dumb, go back, click on install docs.

6. Install doc says I've gone to the wrong page >:( and sends me along to Getting Started.

7. Notice it must be installed in a folder without spaces >:(

8. Sift through the wall of text to find the tiny link to mingw-get-inst.

9. Download latest installer from SourceForge.

10. Wait 5 minutes for the install to finish.

11. Edit my PATH variable manually, which is a pain, because the Automated installer didn't do it or give an option for it.

12. Notice that make is still called mingw32-make for reasons I cannot even fathom.

13. Complain on Allegro.cc, because I can't think of anyway to help MinGW.

What it should have been:

1. Go to MinGW.

2. Click GIANT green button that says "Install Now".

3. Instantly takes me to the download, not some intermediate page on Sourceforge.

4. Save, Run, all the default options are sensible, install finishes a minute later. DONE!

Someone please buy mingw.com so we can setup a sensible website and then SEO the heck out of it to out-rank mingw.org. Then developers across the globe will rejoice and get back to working instead of fumbling around on useless Drupal and SourceForge pages.

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't obvious, I respect the MinGW and GCC developers for putting out a great compiler. I just think it's a shame that there is barrier like this that prevents people from using their wonderful product.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The solution is obvious: fork the project and make your own version.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well if you want to install Allegro 5 you can check this site
C.S. I did it since I had the same problem.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The solution is obvious:

• register downloadmingw.com

• place a giant green button on that page that links directly to the download

• ???

• profit

Your website would receive more hits than the official one in very little time.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob said:

...instead of fumbling around on useless Drupal and SourceForge pages.

That is what I hate about SourceForge. Most projects do that (Allegro too, IIRC). It's ugly and it's not user-friendly. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

SF is irrelevant. It's about the official web site providing an obvious link to the download that the majority of the visitors are looking for.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

bamccaig said:

Most projects do that (Allegro too, IIRC).

With Allegro the whole website is in SVN, anyone can modify it by sending a patch.

And if you can make a completely new and better website we'd even be happy to replace the current one. But the current system is rather simple to use, just plain text files (using pandoc markup) which are easy to modify and easy to test locally.

There is no official web maintainer though so about the only changes are made by all those people sending patches I just mentioned - complain to them if you don't like something :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Compared to MinGW, Allegro's site is great!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I completely agree with Billybob. These days I go here instead. It just seems completely crazy to me that the MinGW homepage doesn't provide something so easy to download and install.

-----------

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Solution. Select your language from the dropdown and you'll immediately be freed from the crap that is MinGW.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't have any problems with it. Takes max 15 minutes to install everything.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

Solution. Select your language from the dropdown and you'll immediately be freed from the crap that is MinGW.

Your solution is to trade a nightmare install with a nightmare of use? :-/ The real solutions are here, here, and here (and a few hundred other sites).

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

bamccaig said:

Your solution is to trade a nightmare install with a nightmare of use? The real solutions are here [fedoraproject.org], here [debian.org], and here [gentoo.org] (and a few hundred other sites).

</thread>

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

So your proposal in light of me proposing trading a nightmare for a nightmare is to swap in a nightmare that will give you insomnia (literally) for the next 5 years?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

BAF said:

Solution [www.microsoft.com]. Select your language from the dropdown and you'll immediately be freed from the crap that is MinGW.

Quoted for Truth.

bamccaig said:

Nightmare!! Real solution is here, here, here, and here, then you'll need to go here... and install this thing here...

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Well if you were already using Linux from the start like any licensed Internet user should be doing, then you wouldn't be in this conundrum, would you?

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh, but yea. Billybob, I am totally sympathetic. That sucks. :-/

It's like trying to drive somewhere without any maps or street signs.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I drive places without maps and street signs all the time. ???

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You're too young to drive. :'(

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

BAF said:

I drive places without maps and street signs all the time. ???

To a destination you've never been to before?

Quote:

You're too young to drive. :'(

This meme is hilarious.

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I never have a problem with mingw except some silly gdb crashes.
Editing your path is something you should be used to, at least since the gcc for dos.

Haaa, I remember the real satisfaction that came out when for the first time I had a working DJGPP / Rhide install working and compiling allegro ^^

Adding MINGDIR and mingw/bin path to your environment variable isn't THAT hard.

That said, I must admit that the download link and install docs aren't that evident.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: