Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5.0.0 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5.0.0 released!
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Tinted bitmap drawing is probably "free" enough that it might be faster to just use that, rather than trying to preload images.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It may be something you're not interested in, but Allegro 5.1 (SVN) has a shader addon that could easily do this sort of thing and basically any type of palette effect. It's not as well supported or as easy as just tinting a bitmap, but it does offer more flexibility. But again, if you're sticking to 5.0 it's not in there.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Elias's suggestion was the missing piece to go with shaders, which I'm sure is what he had in mind.

For interest's sake, assuming we didn't have that, what would be the best way to implement the pixel shader? I can think of a couple of ways (e.g. exclusively use the red value as the colour index; or remapping only pixels which are pure green) but they don't seem satisfactory in general.

Mike Farrell
Member #248
April 2000

I owe my learning of C and programming over 10 years ago to the allegro library. I'm glad to see it evolve. Being that I was never one of the proponents of the API change, I never did learn the new version, but I wish you guys lots of luck getting it out there.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Have noticed an issue when you toggle the fullscreen mode on/off...It goes to fullscreen fine, but when it comes back then window looks like this:
The screen size is 800x600. Actually, I noticed that the fullscreen mode is not actually 800x600 either, it's the desktop resolution. :-/

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Actually, I noticed that the fullscreen mode is not actually 800x600 either, it's the desktop resolution.

Are you using ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW? That's how it works.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Yeah, how do I actually get a fullscreen mode and then switch back to windowed mode correctly then? Also, is there a way to do something with the second display when in fullscreen mode? It get's all jacked up too...I know this is a driver issue, just wondering. Oh, and how to get the actually desktop's resolution like pre-A5's get_desktop_resolution() function?

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yeah, how do I actually get a fullscreen mode and then switch back to windowed mode correctly then?

Create an ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN, destroy it, and create an ALLEGRO_WINDOWED.

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/605953

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

That was my first guess, but I thought there was a better way...oh well.

--

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

Congrats!

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

I get a forbidden error message from the link to the pre-compiled window's versions at Michał Cichoń's site. I've downloaded it before, but not on this computer. :-/

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The same files are here.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

My first impressions of A5 is "woah, the (Windows) build seems much more complicated now". Is there an existing step-by-step installation guide for getting Allegro configured and running on Windows, including builds of the examples & demos, for dummies like me?

I have failed to get a working x64 build in MSVC 10 Express. Will retry tomorrow with MSVC 9 Pro.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Install all dependencies, set paths, etc.

cd allegro
mkdir build
cmake ..
nmake

A while ago I got a 4.9 x64 build working by building regular 32-bit MSVC project files, and then upgrading the build to x64 from in the IDE.

kingcools
Member #11,882
April 2010

sadly this does not work for me :/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The Express version of MSVC (May have changed with 2010) doesn't support 64-bit natively, and require some work just to have it compile 64 bit (Maybe to the point that running Linux is easier ::) )

I do not know the process if it is possible to enable 64 bit on Express editions.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Why would you need to compile a Windows game in 64 bit mode?

OnurGumus
Member #9,333
December 2007

I just wondered my member number ;D

KaBlammyman
Member #455
June 2000

I leave the forums for years, and when I come back, there's a NEW Allegro? whats is the world coming to??

Seriously, great work guys 8-)

->Insert clever quote here<-
http:my website

Go to: