Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » BowFlex PR3000

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
BowFlex PR3000
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

BAF said:

You're so self conscious that you can't go excercise at a gym where everyone else is exercising?

It makes me uncomfortable, too. Although it doesn't bother me if I have someone else exercising with me.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

{"name":"149.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/1462079a2cbbbb25fc6617c4b6d72264.png","w":760,"h":378,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/1462079a2cbbbb25fc6617c4b6d72264"}149.png

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

@23yrold3yrold:

;D
;D
;D

It's a little uncomfortable because you don't know what you're doing, and you're going to be doing it wrong, and people are going to be judging you every which way. It's a gym. The whole point is vanity and health. So if you aren't in good shape/health then you're pretty much judged already.

Nevermind the exercising though. The worst part of the gym experience is the men's locker room. :-X

Anyway, I decided to just skip past the smaller rods and jump up really high. I put the 50 lb rod on both sides of the BowFlex and did some "bench press" exercises. That worked well. I would barely do 10 reps and my arms felt tired after. I did 4 sets of those nonchalantly today and think that it's probably close to the right resistance level for me to see results. I hope. I had to reduce it to 30 lbs on each side to do crunches (I only weight 120 lbs, so pulling "100 lbs" with my abs is pretty unrealistic :P). The "60 lbs" was not bad, but perhaps a little too easy. Maybe I'll try "80 lbs" next time. I also did some "leg extension" exercises with the "60 lbs" on there. It was pretty easy, but my legs aren't very flexible and I can feel pulling in my muscles, which makes me nervous. I'm somebody that used to wake up 3 times a week in the middle of the night with charley horses in high school. :-X If you know what that feels like, and have had it happen enough, then feeling a pulling sensation in your muscle (which is what it feels like) should probably make you nervous too. :P The worst thing about a charley horse is that it has to get worse before it gets better. You basically have to hop up on it and try to walk around... Ugh. I was apparently pretty good at it though not waking anybody up. :P Hopefully with some regular stretching and exercising that feeling will go away. :-/

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Try watching some videos on youtube to get tips on correct form. You might feel utterly gay watching topless monsters, but it's necessary. If you're not willing to put aside stupid feelings such as self-consciousness / fear of locker rooms for the sake of getting in shape then you may as well give up now because you're going to fail.

[edit]

Oh, and you won't be judged for being out of shape or lifting small weights, but you will be judged for bad form.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

bamccaig: you mean to tell us you are having muscle aches? Don't worry, there will be a lot more of those in your future.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Stop caring what people you don't even know think about you then?

So what if you're doing it wrong. If they say something to you, then ask them to show you the proper way. I just can't imagine why you would get intimidated over going to the gym. :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Stop caring what people you don't even know think about you then?

Would you say that to a person with Arachnophobia or Agoraphobia? It is not that easy.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Would you say that to a person with Arachnophobia or Agoraphobia?

I would, but this isn't on that level anyway. "Self-consciousness" isn't a phobia, it's a "you need to get over yourself; people can tell you're a skinny stick man even when you're not at the gym so deal."

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I would, but this isn't on that level anyway. "Self-consciousness" isn't a phobia, it's a "you need to get over yourself; people can tell you're a skinny stick man even when you're not at the gym so deal."

You don't know that. And I find it very insensitive when people tell me to "buck up" and shit like that.

People like that can suck it.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

The way I see it, you can either get over it and live life, or stay home and be scared of everything all the time. You'll never get over it if you don't confront it.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

You don't know that.

I don't know what? That people can tell he's skinny anyway? He's 120 lbs; he probably carries FFVII strategy guides in his backpack just so a stiff wind doesn't blow him to Oz. Or that self-consciousness isn't a phobia, considering everyone's self-centered to at least some degree?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto said:

bamccaig: you mean to tell us you are having muscle aches? Don't worry, there will be a lot more of those in your future.

I never said anything about having muscle aches... :-/ That doesn't bother me. I consider that normal. What feels abnormal is my leg muscles pulling tightly when I'm doing leg extensions. Which is probably also normal, but my muscles aren't used to it. It also greatly resembles the feel of a charley horse, and I'm afraid to get one while doing the exercise because it hurts like a bastard and there isn't much you can do about it once it happens.

...it's a "you need to get over yourself; people can tell you're a skinny stick man even when you're not at the gym so deal."

I don't mind people calling me skinny. That's hardly an insult. ::) Though I wear such baggy clothes that people probably can't tell that I'm skinny normally (except people say that I have an abnormally small head :(). :P I'm not very comfortable around people in general, and it's even worse when I'm doing something that I'm new to and not very good at. And as I said, locker rooms can be incredibly uncomfortable places too for many reasons. People are fucked. :P It isn't so much the exercising as the locker room that I would find uncomfortable. :-/ And just the need to find extra time to travel to and from the gym. I don't have that time. A 30 minute workout would turn into a 90 minute allotment between traveling, changing, showering, ... showering, changing, traveling. It's a lot easier to find 30 minutes of free time in your schedule than it is to find 90.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I don't know what?

That its not a phobia? An actual disability? Don't tell me, you tell people with horrible disabilities to "suck it up" all the time right?

Seems baf does.

BAF said:

The way I see it, you can either get over it and live life, or stay home and be scared of everything all the time. You'll never get over it if you don't confront it.

Indeed. But that does not make it EASY. As you seem to think. "oh just do it, I don't see how it can be so hard". Bite me.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

People with physical disabilities can't "suck it up." But when the limitation is all in your head, you can get over it. I didn't say it wouldn't be hard for you to do, I just said that the only way to do it is to... actually do it.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

People who don't have these kind of psicological problems tend to not understand them (that's ok, what pisses me is the ones that try to judge you too). If it were that easy psycologists woudl be unemployed :P Even with the help of a psicologyst it can take a lot of time.

[edit]

BAF said:

But when the limitation is all in your head, you can get over it

And the head is also psychical. Lot's of chemist reactions and stuff. A lot of psiquick disabilities come from a physical malfunction in your brain (lack or excess of a certain substance for example).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

But when the limitation is all in your head, you can get over it.

Fuck you. Seriously.

--

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

And I find it very insensitive when people tell me to "buck up" and shit like that.

People like that can suck it.

I tend to appreciate that sort of advice (when delivered tactfully), and then promptly ignore it in the face of my insecurity.

But then, I don't get all that worried over stuff like going to the gym. I really do just need to "buck up" and do it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm not judging. Physical ailments can be gotten over too, but it aught to be less painful to overcome a mental limitation.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Physical ailments can be gotten over too, but it aught to be less painful to overcome a mental limitation.

When was the last time you were truly terrified? Quaking in your boots, unable to move, or only able to run, as fast as you could?

Probably never I would guess.

Quote:

I'm not judging.

Except thats what you just did.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I've been terrified plenty of times, and run away from plenty of situations. But I've also been terrified and conquered the situation. It's a choice you make while you're in that situation.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

I've been terrified plenty of times, and run away from plenty of situations. But I've also been terrified and conquered the situation.

Now imagine having to do that every single time you need to make a phone call, or even think about going places with people? Every time. Not just once in a while, but every single day, your entire life?

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If you force yourself to proceed, after doing it several times, you'll realize it's not as bad as you're thinking it will be, and eventually you feel more at ease doing it. You just have to condition yourself to do it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

If you force yourself to proceed, after doing it several times, you'll realize it's not as bad as you're thinking it will be, and eventually you feel more at ease doing it. You just have to condition yourself to do it.

Bullshit. If it were that easy, no one would have this problem. I'd have had it licked years ago. Sadly I don't, and I still can't reach for the phone without getting extremely nervous. Actual physical symptoms I can't control no matter how hard I try.

And I've been trying for years to conquer them.

Tell me how easy this should be oh great master of the mind ::)

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Well, the first step is to identify why a phone call makes you nervous.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Well, the first step is to identify why a phone call makes you nervous.

I already know why ::) Look I'm not a n00b. I've been working on the problem for a decade now. Still not gone. Go figure. Many of the active mental limitations are gone, those are somewhat easy to work through, only took a few years. The physical symptoms that were created by the mental blockages early on however are not easy to condition away. And from what I hear, never fully go away.

--

Go to: