Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post some good ones (Pics of ...)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Post some good ones (Pics of ...)
Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Counter-clockwise. The shadow gives it away.

no. The shadow works fine for clockwise as well.

-----------

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

We discussed the silhouette lady already. I can make her turn both ways at will.

Arthur: what?

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Not really. The shadow shows up when her foot is behind her. But if she's moving clockwise, that foot should be in front of her at that time. It doesn't fit.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I would expect the reflection of the foot to be more visible on the backside of a cw spin, as the counter-clockwise shadow does. Either that, or it's a trick mirror, or possibly weird angle.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I don't care about shadows. I just said that I can make her spin any way I want. Regardless if it seems right or not. :P

Ah, here it is.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It's not true about the shadow anyway. It shows up when her foot is in front of her too.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

It can be either way.

I saw it spinning clockwise at first, then I closed one eye looked away looked back and I saw it spinning in the opposite direction, You can make your brain percieve it to be spinning in both directions(not at the same time obviously), or should I say your brain can make you perceive it.

cool trick to make it change directions
look at it and you'll see it spinning in one direction.
Cover up the girl with your hand/paper,etc and just look at the shadow.
Imagine the shadow spinning in the opposite direction and
look back at the girl (uncover her image) and it should change directions.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It's not true about the shadow anyway. It shows up when her foot is in front of her too.

If you imagine her rotating clockwise, then you see the shadow when you perceive her foot to be in front of her. But the shadow should only show up when her foot is behind her.

When the foot is in front of her the shadow will be further forward (and out of view) than when the foot is behind her. When the shadow is furthest back (and thus in view) then the raised foot is behind her.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You're just making up gibberish. It can be either.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

What he said, it can be either

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It seems pretty obvious to me that the further forward her foot is, the further forward the shadow of her foot would be.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That depends where the light source is.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I don't see where you could put a light source that would make the shadow be further back when the foot is further forward.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm guessing you just don't see it because what you're saying doesn't make sense. When she's spinning one way the shadow is correct if the light source is further toward the viewer and correct if she's spinning the other way and the light source is deeper into the screen.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I made a diagram!

{"name":"602962","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fe5f333881151499fb19a91491ffc98.png","w":620,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fe5f333881151499fb19a91491ffc98"}602962

Also, I feel it's obligatory to link this: XKCD

The angle of the light source doesn't matter. The shadow of the foot will still be further back when the foot is behind her. When the shadow drops out of the bottom of the frame, the foot is moving forward.

Also, I think in the image the light source would be behind her, since the shadow of the raised foot doesn't go behind the shadow of the lowered foot. But that's irrelevant.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ya I guess that makes sense now.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

No wonder you guys can't figure out 3d if a simple normal reflection is beyond you!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

People talk about a shadow. But I can only see it as a reflexion. She dances on a mirror. I guess the reflexion/shadow was added there to support the ccw feel, because ccw would be the only way the foot would naturally appear in the reflexion/shadow (no matter which it is), while without the reflexion/shadow the lady seems to rotate cw! Cw, because it's natural to assume that the viewer is standing and eyes are somewhat in same level as the lady's eyes. And that the lady keeps her foot on constant height from the floor during the rotation, meaning the foot tip draws a circle on a plane parallel to the floor. If she rotates ccw, the foot draws an unnaturally tilted circle, far from parallel to the floor. The foot tip would be at its lowest point when it is behind her, and that's when the other leg is in the air, a straight leg.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

By focusing only on her pivot foot, I can easily change which direction she appears to be spinning. But my first impression is always clockwise.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Clockwise while observing from the top down, or from the bottom up? ??? :(
She looks to me clockwise while observing from the top. Regardless anything I do, look, refresh and come back to the thread after hours..

Append:
It comes from the perspective, which looks to be present.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Just concentrate on the pivot foot. When it is horizontal exactly, you should be able to convince yourself that the toes will start moving either toward you or away from you. What you decide will affect how she spins.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I made a diagram!

I think your diagram is accurate, but let me put forward another idea...

When the girl spins clockwise, the foot is higher when it is at the back; when she spins counter-clockwise, the foot is higher at the front. In this context the shadows are possible both ways.

-----------

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I agree with Johan, I think it's a reflection, not a shadow. This makes Karadoc's theory work better as well, as when the foot is higher at the back when rotating CW, the reflection would be further away, and thus off the bottom of the diagram, hence why it can't be seen.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I can't make her spin CCW(ACW). Perhaps I should get some tool to grab all the slides outta the gif, and and hypnotize myself slowly.. ? ??? :-/

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think the rotating foot tip is crucial here. If an image has so called real perspective, it can't be "turned around" in your mind without making some elements out of proportion. A simple example:
{"name":"602968","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8be9a3588093cfa1c737d5fc0ce75957.png","w":400,"h":358,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8be9a3588093cfa1c737d5fc0ce75957"}602968
If you think the image above is a room, you can imagine every right angle there. But if you think it's a pyramid with its top cut away, you get other angles there, too. With the rotating lady it's the same. At least for me. When she turns CW, not only the foot tip remains on constant height from the floor (except for the slight variation due to the jumping), but the length of the leg remains constant. And probably other proportions in her body look natural, too, details I notice on a sub-concious level, which makes the CCW viewing difficult (but not impossible). If you look at her rotating leg while she's rotating CCW, you might notice the unnatural variation of the length of the leg.

For me it's more natural to assume right angles in an image, if it's possible. And also legs that don't vary in length.

type568 said:

I can't make her spin CCW(ACW).

Mask the image with your hands so that you only see both feet. And imagine she's jumping on a glass floor and you're underneath the floor. If you get that, reveal slowly the rest of the image.

<edit /> :P
Now when I look at her rotating CCW, I imagine her on the glass floor all the time. And the varying length of the leg starts to make sense. But in that case I have to cover the disturbing reflection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

1   2   3 

Go to: