Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » the rent is too damn high

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
the rent is too damn high
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yodhe23 said:

Looks like one of those "wooden" houses, which just seem like an overgrown shed from my English perspective.

I tried to get a straw house but they were all sold out.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Congrats! I just bought a house two months ago and it's a great relief (except for the fact that I feel further chained to an area that I want to leave).

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I heard from the bank today, and they've verbally accepted. But it's a short sale, so they have to check out several other things to make sure they are in the position to make the sale.

I'm not worried about being stuck in the area because the only reason I'd move is if I had a great job offer in Chicago. And in that case, I'd just be renting an apartment in some high-rise downtown. I'd keep the house and use it as a weekend get-away. I could also rent out a room to a friend or relative to keep it from sitting empty the whole week.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Onewing said:

I just bought a house two months ago and it's a great relief

Does that mean that your home crisis is finally solved? If so, then congratulations Steven.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

When I saw your title I thought about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

But it's a short sale

Sweet, you probably got a good deal then. How long did the whole process take?

OICW said:

Does that mean that your home crisis is finally solved?

Thankfully, yes. That's one crisis I can check off.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

When I saw your title I thought about this

ORLY? How astute!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Lool :P ;D ;)

I live in my own world you know, you should visit me sometime, life in good in this dimension.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Onewing said:

Sweet, you probably got a good deal then. How long did the whole process take?

I only offered about 45% of what they owe on the house. But they owe more than the house was ever worth. Given that and the updates I will do before moving in, the offer is probably closer to 75% of what the house is actually worth. So I wouldn't call it a steal, but I shouldn't lose any money on it.

Normally short sales take a long time, but given the high number of bank owned properties, they are motivated to dump things as fast as they can. If everything clears, I'll probably close within 20 days of the offer.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Onewing said:

Thankfully, yes. That's one crisis I can check off.

As I said above, congratulations. And for the rest - fingers crossed :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

piccolo said:

then I'm going to invent a new type of palpation.

A new way of examining people's organs? Why?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I was going some coding and this error message popped up:

{"name":"UxtQI.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b9c8467cc63f3b57b7fbf4253b1b902.png","w":248,"h":150,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b9c8467cc63f3b57b7fbf4253b1b902"}UxtQI.png

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Congratulations Matthew!

Welcome to home ownership. Feels nice doesn't it? ;)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

So thats the overflow error you got?

I took an IQ test and the told me your IQ is too D_ _ _ high.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

We have something called "homesteader's insurance" in Ma. If you fall into financial trouble, it helps. You should look into it. http://www.sec.state.ma.us/rod/rodhom/homidx.htm

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

I don't want a large lawn. It just means more grass to mow.

That's why instead of having a large lawn, you get some farm land and let somebody farm it for you. Depending on the location and the price of the crop, the amount of money you get should just cover the property taxes. Or you can get a house somewhere where there isn't some silly local ordinance saying you have to mow your lawn, then you can just let part of your yard grow up.

Also, if had seen that house in Saginaw, I'd say you were getting closer to the bad part of town.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

On a related note, it seems that an apartment has finally opened up for me. I saw it yesterday and it looks good. It's a small one-bedroom, but the layout is nice. My brother has the adjacent apartment and when you walk in his door you're looking at the kitchen, which is little more than a row of cupboards and such. The entrance is little more than a thin "hallway". In [soon to be] my apartment, when you walk in the door you are looking at the living area. The kitchen is to the left in a corner.

Approximately mine:

|   _          |  _   |
|    |         |  _|__|
| K      ___       WR |
|____|  /   |__|_|____|

(Imagine the counters/appliances because there's no space to draw them)

Approximately his:

|   _  |        | | | |
|__|_           | |K| |
| WR            |_| |_|
|____|_|__________   _|

I'm rather satisfied with it. It will be the first place of my own.

They're just fixing it up now. They're going to try to get the carpets cleaned. If that works out then I should be in in about two weeks. If the carpets can't be cleaned then they'll be tearing them out and putting in hardwood floors (I think). Additionally, they'd redo the tiling in the bathroom and kitchen, so I wouldn't mind if they took that approach, but I'm not going to explicitly ask for it. Rent seems reasonable at CAD$650 (CAD$675 if they redo the floors).

Expect a number of threads in the near future to help pick out things to fill it up. :P Early must haves will be a computer desk, entertainment stand, and bed. :-/

I've been looking into Tempur-Pedic beds because I want to be comfortable (and not suffer from an inability to sleep or soreness, etc.). They are unfortunately rather expensive. It seems Sears has queen-sized bed for $CAD2200 ish. :-X It seems like a lot, but then everybody else I know that has bought a bed say they can't sleep and they hate it... A queen-sized bed barely fits in the small bedroom in these places, but it seems having a double would be awkward to share with someone else. :D

I'm also interested in getting some exercise equipment. I'm leaning towards a bow-flex, but those are quite expensive too. It seems Sears has one model on sale for CAD$1000, but I'm not sure how much it's capable of doing, let alone whether they actually work yet. I would love to work on muscle mass and toning and such. That said, it would also be nice to work on cardio and stamina... I just can't afford two machines to handle everything and even if I could I wouldn't have space for them. Already, I'm going to have to be careful about what I do get to make sure there's space for it.

Months ago I was going to get a pool table, but it seems that there just won't be space. Besides, if I actually manage to buff up then I'd be more comfortable spending all night at a bar and playing pool there. :P

I'd like to get a gaming PC that is capable of running anything modern easily so eventually I'll probably buy a liquid cooled Falcon-Northwest. It looks like it'll be between CAD$2500 and CAD$3500 for that. I'll have to try to hold off on that to see how much savings I still have left. I'll probably wait until Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and/or Portal 2 are released, but I doubt that I'll be able to wait any longer (unless I find myself terribly afraid of affording to live on my own by then). :P

I'm planning to get a Roomba robot vaccuum so that I don't have to physically make time to vacuum the apartment. One that can run automatically on a schedule, perhaps when I'm away at j0rb, would be nice. They're not cheap though either. It seems you can get cheaper models for USD$300 ish, but their capabilities are very limited, forcing you to still do some of the work. It seems the USD$600-700 ones can pretty much do it all by themselves.

Advices/experiences with these specific items/brands and/or life itself appreciated. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

$675 for one bedroom! I could rent an entire five bedroom house for that price, and I think that's too damn high. :o

$700 for a vacuum cleaner is hilarious. I spend about 5 minutes a month vacuuming.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I spend about 5 minutes a month vacuuming.

You must never go outside to get your shoes dirty.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

meh its all nothing compared to the house prices over here.

This is why i am getting a boat so i can went until the cost of houses goes down like it did in the
USA.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You must never go outside to get your shoes dirty.

I don't wear dirty shoes in the house...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I don't wear dirty shoes in the house...

If they're obviously dirty you bang them together outside, but ordinary sand from the driveway builds up after a while too.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

If they're obviously dirty you bang them together outside, but ordinary sand from the driveway builds up after a while too.

Or leave them in the entry.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

$675 for one bedroom! I could rent an entire five bedroom house for that price, and I think that's too damn high. :o

That's cheap around here. The only thing cheaper is renting a room in an actual crack house. Fortunately, the place that I'm renting from is actually pretty nice.

$700 for a vacuum cleaner is hilarious. I spend about 5 minutes a month vacuuming.

It's not just a vacuum! It's also a robot! I seem to remember reading about the more advanced models actually being remote controllable too. ;D

I think you pretty much have to vacuum about once a week around here to keep the place free of lint and dust build up and such. Besides, I wear baggy clothes, so I do track dirt in pretty regularly. It would be a pain to have to remember to take time out every week to vacuum. If a robot just automatically did it for me when I was away that would be great.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

On a related note, it seems that an apartment has finally opened up for me.

I have literally just finished moving all our stuff to our new apartment. We're now in a two-bedroom apartment configured like this:

_______ __________
|                  |
|                  |
|  LR         DR   |
|                   
|______            |
|     |            |
|     |      ______|
| BR  |            |
|     |            |
|             K    |
|______            |
|        __________|
| BR  |  |    |    |
|     |  |    |    |
|_____|  |    | L  |
|             |    |
|     WR           |
|_____________|____|

The wall between the kitchen and the dining room is only half height, so the whole lounge/dining/kitchen area is pretty open-plan. The bathroom is huge, as is the laundry area, which is going to double as storage.

It's going for $370 (USD 280) p/w, fully furnished. We're in the same building we were already in, so we're still right in the centre of the city.

Go to: