Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Make a game in turns [monday thread]

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Make a game in turns [monday thread]
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

There is one issue I still fear may be a bit of a bikeshed.
What to name the game, repository, project...?

My best idea so far, according to myself, is Cumulate.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Lamarck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Nice suggestion. But I'll go with Cumulate for now.

I have created a repository now.
http://github.com/trezker/Cumulate

I've just put in the minimum code to create a window and close down on the display close event.

So, if you're interested in adding your own feature.

• Fork the repository and make sure you can build and run it.

• Send me a message. (github inbox preferably)

• Wait for me to tell you it's your turn.

Any feedback on how I have organised this thing is welcome.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Archon said:

Is the repository going to branch off for people whom wish to go a different direction?

I think that's generally called a fork. ;) GitHub allows you to do that right from the site and instead of actually copying the data just references it somehow. It's therefore extremely efficient.

Archon said:

The branches that become inactive could become disabled and deleted.

Forks are completely separate repositories that can just be deleted without having any effect on the original(s).

Trezker said:

One could of course use a non open source license if you really don't want branches. But that'd really put a dent in your popularity, and I'm not even sure github would like to host the project.

GitHub is happy to host proprietary repositories for a price. The free service requires that your code be open source.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

The repository has been up for almost a day now, no one has reported their interest in taking a turn yet. I'm feeling antsy.

I've thought about starting a new thread for discussing the project itself rather than its format. But there's not much to discuss before it has at least one feature in place.

So step up and make the first feature! You have the chance to make a big impact on what direction this project will go.

Just send me a message saying you'd like to add something to the Cumulate project.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Trezker said:

The repository has been up for almost a day now, no one has reported their interest in taking a turn yet. I'm feeling antsy.

I would not worry about it. It's the middle of the week and everyone is busy doing their dayjobs.

I don't have time but here's a feature request/suggestion:
The game should have a titlescreen (placeholder) with a main menu and it should initially have three entries "Start Game" / "Options" / "Exit".

Start game should just display a message "not implemented yet". Options should have an option to "reverse stereo channels" and exit should just terminate the programme displaying "Good bye." before closing the window automatically.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Building the project
You need to get
Allegro 4.9

Ouch! Haven't touched A5 yet. Anyway, would be fun to join, but at the moment I have absolutely no time.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Wasn't there this "project Monday" a few year back?
Dare I ask what happened to that in the end? :-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It died, and the SVN repo is used for the A5 version of MaSKING.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I'm still interested, not much time 'till saturday.
The point is i have no idea what type of feature should be implemented, with no idea on where the game will go, i'm a bit at a loss. :)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Good practice for your imagination then. ;)

But it is true that given complete freedom and being asked to choose just one feature to implement is too open.

I think you should just imagine a full game you'd like to make, then pick the first feature that should be implemented for that game. The game you imagine probably wont be the end result of the project, it's just a helper to get it started.

Roll some Speedhack rules if your brain fails.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I am interested in joining up, I don't have allegro 5, (haven't even touched it before,) and I am yet to use git. But I have been lurking this thread and you have at least inspired me to try my hand. :)

I am going out drinking tonight, and tomorrow is work, but I am going to get all setup to have a look on the weekend. I have been involved in quite a few group things, through uni and j0rb. All it takes is strong leadership and good documentation to make something work, I am more of a sheep than a shepherd, but if I can help keep it documented to make it simpler for people to pick up when they feel like it, it has a better chance of making something crappy and lame, than not even getting started.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Trezker said:

So it's just like the forum game where each guy posts the next sentence in the story and it just gets crazier.

Would it be against the forum rules to have that here? :o Most of the people here are quite eloquent and intelligent(for internet standards :P ). It would be an awesome story with romance, action, orcs, Dr.Who, Linus Torvald, captain Piccard, time-travel... NVM >:(
I think the 'finish-the-game-together' game would work best if there was a grid set-up beforehand f.i.

Assignment     | Assigned to
Splash screen    n/a
Level structure  n/a
* level 1        n/a
* level 2        n/a
World structure  n/a
Extra feature 1  n/a
etc.

This is mainly because IMHO a bunch of text written is always a readable story, but a game needs a lot of writing before it is playable... Just a suggestion though. But pinning down the complete game beforehand is just no fun at all IMHO.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dennis said:

It's the middle of the week and everyone is busy doing their dayjobs.

Some of us work nights[1]. :P

References

1. Though, when it's night here, it's day where you are.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Well... oh well.:)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

All I can think of doing is fixing the code formatting. :P I've also added some C-style error handling, but since it's technically C++ that really isn't the best way to do it.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

So, I have Code::Blocks installed, I have installed the correct a5 binary (4.9.21), installed git and premake4. I have retrieved the repository, created my cb project files. When I go to compile it, it attempts to link to -lalleg, which isn't quite right, but nothing to worry about.

Is there anything else I need to know/setup before I get started? or am I good to just wait for my turn?

(I will worry about learning to commit when I come to that.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

That's strange, it should link -lallegro. How can it lose the "ro"?
I guess you're ready to start developing. Send me a message on github.

I see you haven't forked the repository. Not technically a requirement to get coding, but you should push to your own fork on github and make a pull request when your feature is done.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I thought of finally take a look at A5. I guess A4 won't interfere, if I only keep them separated. But I don't really know what I should install. Any external libs I should install before even trying out anything, in general and for this Cumulate project in particular? Yeah yeah, just friendly google it! But the first I run into is this:

Quote:

Note that the 4.9 branch is unstable, and should not be used unless you are planning on helping with development.

Well, I'm not planning on helping with development of A5. Simply because I lack skills and knowledge.

I have Dev-Cpp on my machine and it works very well. I dont use it on a level, where its crappiness would disturb me.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

A5 is far enough developed that it wont change anymore, I think.
At least nothing troublesome should change anymore.

Doesn't seem like premake4 generates Dev-Cpp project files. So Code::Blocks is preferable for that reason too. But that's up to you.

So far the project doesn't use any A5 addons so minimal extra libraries are needed. But that'll probably change when people start putting features in.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Any external libs I should install before even trying out anything

They're listed in the documentation.

Quote:

Well, I'm not planning on helping with development of A5.

It's fine. That's an old statement, I think.

Trezker said:

A5 is far enough developed that it wont change anymore, I think.
At least nothing troublesome should change anymore.

Yes.

Quote:

So far the project doesn't use any A5 addons so minimal extra libraries are needed.

To make your build system robust and portable, you should always link to allegro-main. Won't do anything on Windows or Linux, but it's needed on OS X and iPhone.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Weekends over and my inbox is still empty. Are you not ready yet or is githubs messaging system broken?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I think the people here are broken ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yeah, I think the people here are broken busy ;)

Fixed.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I've been thinking about putting in the first feature myself. I wanted to give others a chance to do it since I already took the liberty of deciding to go with A5 and which build system to use. Not to mention the game rules and version control system.

But now that it's taking so long for anyone to volunteer, I'm more likely to go ahead and implement a feature myself.

Some people have expressed that they would like a starting point with more substance, something to build onto rather than conjure something from the void.

1   2   3 

Go to: