Player (const char &name , int WalkFrames);
BITMAP *WalkImages [12];
};

// Player.cpp
#include <allegro>
#include "Player.h"

Player::Player (const char &name , int WalkFrames) {

for (int i = 0 ; i < WalkFrames ; i++) {
WalkImages [i] = load_bitmap (name + "Walk" + i + ".bmp",NULL); // heres the problem

}

}

whenever I do this, the code won't compile. and it keeps on saying
expression must have integral or enum type what can I do to fix this?

kingcools
Member #11,882
April 2010

try one thing please:

combine this expression: "name + "Walk" + i + ".bmp"" to one string before using it in the function and then try to use that string for loading the bitmap.
As far as i remember i had a similar problem doing this and i fixed it by using strings.

edit:
strings have the method "c_str()" which returns the string as a char* type, which allows using it in functions that only take that type as a parameter(which is the case with loadbitmap as far as i remember)

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

To elaborate on kingcools' post, C and C++ don't have an integral string type. C++ uses std::string and C uses a char array (sometimes called a C-style string).

So, when you surround something with double quotes, it's actually an array of `char`s, so the operator+ is not going to do what you want. You want to use C++'s std::string class instead of const char& (which isn't even a C-style string, it's a constant reference to a char).

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I posted this in the original thread the OP made on this topic (DrummaBoyFB: Making two threads about the same problem is a good way of getting yourself ostracized, so don't do it.), but here it is for this one...

The problem is that the first parameter of load_bitmap() is supposed to be a const char * (also known as a string in C, which is different from a C++ string) and what you're passing to it isn't. If you want to dynamically load a bitmap, you will need to construct the string yourself, then pass that to the load_bitmap() function.

Here's an example of how you can do that in C++:

std::stringstream str;
str << name << "Walk" << i << ".bmp";

WalkImage[i] = load_bitmap((str.str()).c_str(), NULL);
if(!WalkImage [i]) {

allegro_message("Error loading %s.", (str.str()).c_str());
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);

}

The C method of doing this is actually simpler, IMO:

char filename[256];
sprintf(filename, "%sWalk%d.bmp", name, i);
WalkImage[i] = load_bitmap(filename, NULL);
if(!WalkImage [i]) {

allegro_message("Error loading %s.", (filename);
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);

}

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

The C method of doing this is actually simpler, IMO...

Using Boost's Format library can even the score a little bit:

#SelectExpand
1#include <allegro.h> 2#include <boost/format.hpp> 3#include <stdexcept> 4 5... 6 7std::string filename = boost::format("%sWalk%d.bmp") % name % i; 8 9WalkImage[i] = load_bitmap(filename.c_str(), 0); 10 11if(!WalkImage[i]) 12{ 13 throw std::runtime_error(boost::format( 14 "Failed to load '%s'!" % filename); 15}

On the one hand, the C is perhaps easier to read (at least, for a C programmer), but the C++ is safer and not much worse (if not better). Note that I used the printf style of format, but Boost supports a few others (one of them being its own format, which is safer than the printf-style, but I'm most familiar with that so it's more likely to be used correctly[1]).

The OP shouldn't be worrying about all of this yet. He should be following some simple C or C++ tutorials that cover strings, which can be a pretty difficult subject in both languages, especially coming from higher-level languages (and his use of + as a concatenation operator suggests just that). You'll get to Allegro in no time, but first you need to understand C and/or C++. If nothing else, look into a C string tutorial (you'll need this to use Allegro because it's a C library). Then, if you want, find a C++ std::string tutorial, preferably one that covers std::stringstream also.

References

1. Though untested.
Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Overloading mod like that looks weird.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Overloading mod like that looks weird.

Yes, but so does overloading bit shift operators for IO and the addition operator for concatenation. :) As long as the meaning is clear (I'm sure they chose % because it's used for placeholders in format strings) I think that it works fine. And it's even a little bit more 1337 than a plain old method call. ;)

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

I don't think overloading plus for concatenation looks weird. I want to make a new string that is string one plus string two. std::string newStr = str1+str2, it makes perfect sense. I think it makes more sense than that boost alternative, which is basically printf style, because it's inline from left to right.

I do agree that the bitshift operator overloading is weird. I guess they just wanted something that was like an arrow.

--

Go to: