Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programmers Diff Tool (GUI) for Windows?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Programmers Diff Tool (GUI) for Windows?
Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I'm looking for a tool that will show two xml files side by side and highlight the changes for me, syntax highlighting is a must. Free would also be nice.

Also it's not as urgent, but one that does C# and other languages would be pretty badass tool.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

UltraEdit-32 can do that[1]. It's not free, but it's extremely good value at 60 USD for all the features it has. I've been using it since Windows 3.11 days.

edit: There's also UltraCompare, by the same people which does do syntax highlighting in the compare window. UltraEdit uses a cut-down version of this for it's file compare feature.

References

1. There's syntax highlighting in the main window, though not in the window where it's highlighting the differences

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

Notepad++ with compare plugin.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I'm looking for a tool that will show two xml files side by side and highlight the changes for me, syntax highlighting is a must. Free would also be nice.

Vim (vimdiff) can do that. :P
Not 100% sure about syntax highlighting, although if it doesn't by default there's probably a plugin for it.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I use WinMerge

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red | +Me
Windows 8 is a toned, stylish, polished professional athlete. But it’s wearing clown makeup, and that creates a serious image problem. ~PCWorld Article

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Sounds like you're looking for WinMerge

EDIT: Beaten, but at least I've provided a link :P

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

In case you have money, Beyond Compare 3 is by far the best diff tool on Windows I have ever used. Better than WinMerge by far.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

UltraEdit sounds like it might just be worth having. I probably won't use it a lot (Vim is still teh better), but it might come in handy as a replacement for Notepad++. Notepad++ is good, but it's slow to start up and lacks the features to make it worth the wait. I'm running the generic 32-bit Linux build right now (free trial) and it seems to start up pretty instantaneously. That might just be Linux though. ;) It's a shame that the other applications don't come in Linux varieties. Still, I think my colleague might really like UltraCompare since he's currently at the hands of the TortoiseSCM people to give him something to graphically resolve conflicts. :-X

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

X-G said:

In case you have money, Beyond Compare 3

Beyond Compare is very good. I'm not sure why X-G states that it cost money though...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Onewing said:

Beyond Compare is very good. I'm not sure why X-G states that it cost money though...

http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop.php?zz=pricing

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Ah, the guy at work who hooked it up for me must have already had the needed licenses. Still, it's a great tool.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I use notepad++ and with the compare option as noted, it'll do the job.

However, the best diff tool I have is WinMerge though I don't think it'll do syntax highlighting. It does do recursive folders though, if that makes up for it :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It does do recursive folders though, if that makes up for it :)

In this respect, the Windows users are the same as Mac users. :-/ The vendor limits the market so functionality is limited and then offers a feature that should be expected, but isn't. They are then excused of those features that they do not offer. :(

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

WinMerge does syntax highlighting, at least according to the screenshots on their site.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Will probably go with notepad++ if this comes up again, thanks for all the replies. :-)

I ended up using Microsoft's free "XML Notepad 2007", which sucks giant monkey balls, but it got the job done.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I use WinMerge and TortoiseMerge.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

(Beyond Compare, TortoiseMerge)++

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Forget what I said, I just tried X-G recommendation, BC3 is the best! the only bad thing about it is that once the evaluation time expires I'll have to buy a license.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

notepad++
{"name":"601833","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29f0eecd7649ff230c829019f01ab91a.png","w":804,"h":165,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29f0eecd7649ff230c829019f01ab91a"}601833

winmerge
{"name":"601832","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/406d8ea19222cd15fcc26383b503885b.png","w":912,"h":216,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/406d8ea19222cd15fcc26383b503885b"}601832

Both do syntax highlighting, but do the job. Winmerge gives you more features and a more detailed pane below and Notepad++ additionally gives you a programmers editor as well :)

No need to pay.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: