Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programmers Diff Tool (GUI) for Windows?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Programmers Diff Tool (GUI) for Windows?
Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I'm looking for a tool that will show two xml files side by side and highlight the changes for me, syntax highlighting is a must. Free would also be nice.

Also it's not as urgent, but one that does C# and other languages would be pretty badass tool.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

UltraEdit-32 can do that[1]. It's not free, but it's extremely good value at 60 USD for all the features it has. I've been using it since Windows 3.11 days.

edit: There's also UltraCompare, by the same people which does do syntax highlighting in the compare window. UltraEdit uses a cut-down version of this for it's file compare feature.

References

1. There's syntax highlighting in the main window, though not in the window where it's highlighting the differences

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

Notepad++ with compare plugin.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I'm looking for a tool that will show two xml files side by side and highlight the changes for me, syntax highlighting is a must. Free would also be nice.

Vim (vimdiff) can do that. :P
Not 100% sure about syntax highlighting, although if it doesn't by default there's probably a plugin for it.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I use WinMerge

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Sounds like you're looking for WinMerge

EDIT: Beaten, but at least I've provided a link :P

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

In case you have money, Beyond Compare 3 is by far the best diff tool on Windows I have ever used. Better than WinMerge by far.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

UltraEdit sounds like it might just be worth having. I probably won't use it a lot (Vim is still teh better), but it might come in handy as a replacement for Notepad++. Notepad++ is good, but it's slow to start up and lacks the features to make it worth the wait. I'm running the generic 32-bit Linux build right now (free trial) and it seems to start up pretty instantaneously. That might just be Linux though. ;) It's a shame that the other applications don't come in Linux varieties. Still, I think my colleague might really like UltraCompare since he's currently at the hands of the TortoiseSCM people to give him something to graphically resolve conflicts. :-X

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

X-G said:

In case you have money, Beyond Compare 3

Beyond Compare is very good. I'm not sure why X-G states that it cost money though...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Onewing said:

Beyond Compare is very good. I'm not sure why X-G states that it cost money though...

http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop.php?zz=pricing

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Ah, the guy at work who hooked it up for me must have already had the needed licenses. Still, it's a great tool.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I use notepad++ and with the compare option as noted, it'll do the job.

However, the best diff tool I have is WinMerge though I don't think it'll do syntax highlighting. It does do recursive folders though, if that makes up for it :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It does do recursive folders though, if that makes up for it :)

In this respect, the Windows users are the same as Mac users. :-/ The vendor limits the market so functionality is limited and then offers a feature that should be expected, but isn't. They are then excused of those features that they do not offer. :(

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

WinMerge does syntax highlighting, at least according to the screenshots on their site.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Will probably go with notepad++ if this comes up again, thanks for all the replies. :-)

I ended up using Microsoft's free "XML Notepad 2007", which sucks giant monkey balls, but it got the job done.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I use WinMerge and TortoiseMerge.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

(Beyond Compare, TortoiseMerge)++

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Forget what I said, I just tried X-G recommendation, BC3 is the best! the only bad thing about it is that once the evaluation time expires I'll have to buy a license.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

notepad++
{"name":"601833","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29f0eecd7649ff230c829019f01ab91a.png","w":804,"h":165,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29f0eecd7649ff230c829019f01ab91a"}601833

winmerge
{"name":"601832","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/406d8ea19222cd15fcc26383b503885b.png","w":912,"h":216,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/406d8ea19222cd15fcc26383b503885b"}601832

Both do syntax highlighting, but do the job. Winmerge gives you more features and a more detailed pane below and Notepad++ additionally gives you a programmers editor as well :)

No need to pay.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: