Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I love America

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
I love America
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm getting this canvas print: http://www.icanvasart.com/gunsandywarholposter.html

and it's half the price of anywhere in the UK and given my wife is going to Canada next month the shipping is free too :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

my wife is going to Canada

When did Canada become part of the US?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

When was the US all of America?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

When was the US all of America?

I think he meant The America's. That would include north, central, and south America.

Bob Keane said:

When did Canada become part of the US?

He didn't say it was.

It should be: "I love the America's".

That doesn't include Hawaii though which is a bummer cause I love Hawaii and I'd hate to live anywhere on that continent. ;D

Hawaii is part of the US although that might change with how things are moving forward in terms of the natives around here. Most of them are calling for a succession -> secession.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction. Although succession actually means that Hawaiians want a constitution that is recognized by the international community, that's how I learned it in class.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I didn't know Hawaii had a monarchy.

I think you mean secession, which is what the governor of Texas wanted not that long ago

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And apparently we're losing land to Mexico in Arizona, with signs telling people not to enter the area.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I like to think of that as land repatriation 8)

If the cultural and demographic of the border areas change enough then it would be both morally and politically expedient to just give the land to Mexico.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

If the cultural and demographic of the border areas change enough then it would be both morally and politically expedient to just give the land to Mexico.

So the best way to take over a country is to immigrate the crap out of them? Also, it sucks for all those people who finally managed to move out of Mexico, and then suddenly they're back in Mexico! :o And all the people who want to remain American citizens would have to move. :-/ Also, we never should have fought the civil war. Those people obviously didn't want to be American, so we should have just let them take our land. Should taxes from Chinatown go to Beijing?

I could go on.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Immigration is just the peaceful form of a conquering horde.

And no, we shouldn't have fought the civil war. Every state and every community reserves the right to seccede if they feel their interests are no longer being represented by the greater union. It wasn't "our" land, it was their land regardless if they were in the Union or not. But that discussion is for another time as it involves a lot more issues then mere land.

The concepts of self-determination and sovereignty mean nothing if both outside and traditional forces determine when it can be applied. I.e. if the present white population is pushed out by an outside cultural group of people but yet still determine the political and social fabric.

Keeping them in the fold does nothing but add fuel to the fire which is already starting to burn in this country; a community is not a community if the people within are not the same and have the same general interests in mind

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

America is what most people refer to as North America or U.S.A. Get over it.

I never said Canada was part of US, only they delivered free there TOO.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

From what I see, it's mostly US people who call America to US. Here certainly we don't do it, when someone says America it's referring to the entire continent for sure. What we sometimes do, though, is calling American to US people (nothing wrong, since someone from US is an American), but that's basically because "Americano" is so much easier to pronounce than "Estadounidense".

[edit]
Now that I think about it... how is called a person from US, in English? Google translator translates "estadounidense" as just U.S. :/

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Most people here resort to calling them "Yankis" for some reason. Just wondering, is it offensive?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Yeah, we call them Yankis too, and at least here it has a negative connotation (usually), so yeah it's a bit offensive. It's like when we call "guiri" to foreigners.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

America is what most people refer to as North America or U.S.A. Get over it.

Over here América means the entire continent.

Dario ff said:

Most people here resort to calling them "Yankis" for some reason.

Same here. Yes, I think it has a slightly negative connotation, as the term "estadounidense" or "norteamericano" is used in when they are around. :o

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Yes, I think it has a slightly negative connotation, as the term "estadounidense" or "norteamericano" is used in when they are around.

Ha, that's right, the same happens over here as well. Wikipedia[1] says it's a slang term for anyone who isn't from the US, even a popular term among the British. It's just too comfortable for not using it.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Now that I think about it... how is called a person from US, in English?

We call ourselves American.

Dario ff said:

Most people here resort to calling them "Yankis" for some reason. Just wondering, is it offensive?

The term Yankee or Yank means somebody specifically from New England.

200px-New_England_USA.svg.png

We don't think it's offensive.* (After all, we have a baseball team named The Yankees.) It just sounds archaic to us, and slightly humorous that you would pick a name that doesn't represent the entire nation. You might as well call us all Californians!

* I should add: We understand it's meant to be slightly offensive, but it's like a five year old trying to insult an adult by calling him "poopy pants." It's meant to be an insult, but the usage ends up just being funny.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

We don't think it's offensive.* (After all, we have a baseball team named The Yankees.) It just sounds archaic to us, and slightly humorous that you would pick a name that doesn't represent the entire nation. You might as well call us all Californians!

* I should add: We understand it's meant to be slightly offensive, but it's like a five year old trying to insult an adult by calling him "poopy pants." It's meant to be an insult, but the usage ends up just being funny.

Give it a rest yankee.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

In Finland we call all U.S. citizens yankees. A U.S. national team in ice-hockey or soccer is commonly called jenkit (the yankees). A car made in USA would be jenkkiauto.

The New England thing makes sense from a Finnish point of view. We've named our nearest neighbours according to some small region that happens to be nearest ourselves. Estonia is called Viro, after Virumaa, a part of Estonia. And Sweden is called Ruotsi, most probably after Roslagen, the coastline and archipelago, which is nearest to Finland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

New England

That's what the U.S. is.. Immigrants from England :D

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

We call ourselves American.

This greatly upsets some of the Candanish (that pun works better in Dutch, unfortunately).

Quote:

slightly humorous that you would pick a name that doesn't represent the entire nation. You might as well call us all Californians!

Don't worry, everyone refer to Holland when they mean the Netherlands too.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Evert said:

This greatly upsets some of the Candanish (that pun works better in Dutch, unfortunately).

Are the Spanish upset when you call yourself European?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Are the Spanish upset when you call yourself European?

I'm sure you know what I meant, but just to be absoluetely clear: it upsets some Canadians that there is a word for people from Canada, but no single word to describe people from the US. And frankly, I can see where they're coming from (even if they're a bit loud).
Now, the Spanish actually have a word for themselves ("Spanish"). It would be pretty odd if they referred to themselves solely as "Europeans", and a little bit insulting to everyone else.
It also makes for awkward grammatical constructs when you want to contrast people from the US with other Americans.

Not that we don't call people from the USA "Amerikanen" in Dutch either; there generally doesn't seem to be another word for people from the USA.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Well, we do have a word for people from U.S. Sooo, U.S. people who speak Spanish actually have a word for themselves :P

So Spanish is one of the rare languages with a word for U.S people? :o

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Evert said:

it upsets some Canadians that there is a word for people from Canada, but no single word to describe people from the US

Sounds like you've met some silly, over sensitive people!

When I've been in Canada, people have happily referred to me as "from the States." But maybe that would equally offend those same people you are talking about, since surely we cannot claim ownership of the word "states"!

Quote:

It also makes for awkward grammatical constructs when you want to contrast people from the US with other Americans.

Of course. But I don't really see how it matters much. We don't identify or group ourselves with Central or South America; they are very different from North Americans (USA & Canada). It's much like complaining that there isn't a good word to group Canada with the Republic of the Sudan.

So I would say the problem here is thinking that just because we share the same longitude as another country, that we should be grouped together in some meaningful way.

So Spanish is one of the rare languages with a word for U.S people?

I hereby declare Spanish as the world's official language!

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

I hereby declare Spanish as the world's official language!

Does that mean we get to post in Spanish? ;)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

1   2   3 

Go to: