Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Age++;

Credits go to Arvidsson, Arthur Kalliokoski, CursedTyrant, deps, Goalie Ca, GullRaDriel, ImLeftFooted, ixilom, Johan Halmén, Jonatan Hedborg, LennyLen, Michael Faerber, MiquelFire, OICW, and type568 for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Age++;
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff said:

Can't you just tell your supervisor to do a clean install of Windows? I'm sure the system just became bloated. Wait, so that means you'll be wasting your whole Tuesday here? :o

Installing Linux is my choice. I've wanted to be running Linux at j0rb for a couple of years now (pretty much since I started). I generally hate Windows and have to install third party tools to make it tolerable, but everything is still GUI oriented and overly slow. I'm hoping to move most of my operations into Linux and only do what is absolutely Windows specific (Visual Studio, SQL Server) in a Windows VM. Hopefully, they perform adequately in the VM so that I can keep that setup. If that fails, I'll have to revert back to Windows on the metal. :(

Fortunately, today Windows was sitting at the logo for 5 minutes without moving so my supervisor caved and told me to start installing Linux now. :D

OICW said:

One question I want to ask you for quite some time. Why you always use j0rb instead of job just like I saw someone typing in pr0n?

Just one of those paranoid not-really-accomplishing-anything tactics. It's more obscure and also you can always defend that it means something else, like ... like ... I don't know. :(

Well, here I go... I hope this works. :P

** EDIT **

Ubuntu has failed me! >:( When the disk loads up the video output is all garbage (this after a perfectly clear loading screen). I can't say I'm surprised. I only chose Ubuntu because others said they got Windows working happily in a VM with little fuss. I guess I'm going to have to try Fedora instead. :)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Couple issues might cause delay, ipv6 not working properly, or DNS not setup properly.

Turns out, it was the IPV6 causing the delay. I wouldn't have thought it would do the same delay as Windows, but it turns out it was the cause.

vmware seems to have kind of a low performance with OpenGL. I only need to compile the program, but it would be nice to be able to test it well. (ex_draw_bitmap dies at > 15 bitmaps). I'll have to yet install it again on the other VM and compare.

EDIT: Also, this gotta be the longest birthday thread ever. :o

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've seen upwards of 50% of native performance with GL in linux guests. Mind you the host was linux too, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Well, Fedora is giving me a lot of trouble as well. There appears to be some bug(s) somewhere that causes X to crash rather easily. For example, clicking the NoScript icon in Firefox. :'( I updated the system and still experience the problem. Hopefully, that is eventually resolved. I'm assuming it's a video driver issue... After a little bit of fuss, I got VirtualBox installed and presumably working so I'm going to go ahead and try to install Windows 7. I'm doubtful that it will perform well (especially with the alleged video issues), but we'll see. The installer is running snappy, at least. :-/ I might try to install an up-to-date Nvidia driver after too, but I won't hold my breath as that failed when I tried at home...

It seems Ubuntu suffers (ed?) from the same problem because searching for "firefox noscript x crash" returns results for Ubuntu and Fedora both. :-X I wonder how these things slip through. I guess I can't know unless I learn to develop kernel modules... :-/

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Did you use the latest versions of Ubuntu/Fedora?
If so, don't. Usually it takes some time for support for a new version to become stable, though Virtualbox does claim to fully support both.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Well so far it's actually working pretty smoothly as far as VirtualBox goes. It's Fedora that's having issues, but it seems if I tip toe around them then it's OK. :-/ I have yet to see how Windows will perform, mind you, because I'm just finishing the installation now.

While you may be right about stability and Linux distributions, you pretty much need bleeding edge if you want leading edge features. :P It's a shame, but it's true. I'm amazed that Fedora 13 has Firefox 3.6.4 installed. :o It is actually more up-to-date than my colleague's Windows box. Fedora 12 is probably running Firefox 3.0.1 (or Hell, maybe 2.x still) or something for all eternity. :P

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Well, I've been using Ubuntu for a while now, and my first impressions... Windows is horrible for a coder IMO. :P I can't believe you Linux folks just typed some crap on the console and you got your libraries and programs updated automatically.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

bamccaig said:

(or Hell, maybe 2.x still)

3 if I'm quite sure, I had Fedora 12 on my parent's box, unless they got fed up with office & managed to brake the internet connection somehow(that's without root password!).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff said:

I can't believe you Linux folks just typed some crap on the console and you got your libraries and programs updated automatically.

That's one option, although many distributions have daemons running that automatically check back with the repositories and either update automatically or prompt the user to authorize the system to update. The command line is still more powerful, but often you don't actually care about what's being updated and just say "Go ahead" from the GUI (i.e., an icon typically appears in the "system tray", the same as Windows, but it updates everything, not just the operating system). ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Windows 8 is supposed to be getting a "Store" that will support automatic and probably paid updates. IMO its LONG overdue.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Keep in mind the last time I used a Linux OS was when I had no internet connection, so I was quite skeptic about it; I didn't really know its potential. But I installed A5 in what, 10 minutes? You wouldn't believe how much time I spent to get it working on Windows in the first place.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

/me bets Microsoft will it up royally.

Certainly.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

type568, what's the deal with the quote? Don't you have censorship turned off?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Dario ff said:

what's the deal with the quote? Don't you have censorship turned off?

It can be turned off? Cool thanks, I'll do it now :D

Append: Where is it? :( ???

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Why'd you want to turn it off? It's already insufficiently strict... :-/

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

type568 said:

Where is it?

I don't really remember which part of my custom CSS was, but here's the part I think is important.

span.cuss {
background: transparent !important;
background-position: middle center;
background-image: none;
top: 0px;
min-width: 0px;
display: inline;
}

span.cuss span {
visibility: visible;
font-style: italic;
}

Just copy this and add it to your custom CSS here. Then go to the forums, and you'll probably have to do a full refresh(CTRL+F5 on FF). If this doesn't work, just search for it here, I suppose that was the relevant part of it.

SiegeLord said:

Why'd you want to turn it off?

It conflicts with the quoting system. (EDIT: As pointed below by bamccaig, probably type568 just copied around the censorship, because if you copy/paste normally it works.)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

SiegeLord said:

Why'd you want to turn it off? It's already insufficiently strict... :-/

Some of our ears eyes have grown up and don't mind hearing seeing profanity. :-X I actually leave the censorship there. In part, because the graphics can actually add to the hilarity at times! It does force me to copy/paste the text to find out exactly what people said some times. IDEA! I should add a mouseover feature with acc.js. ;D Edit: Updated!

That said, I can copy/paste right through the censorship... :-/ So I imagine type568 explicitly removed or copied around the profanity. ;)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Dario ff said:

It conflicts with the quoting system. (EDIT: As pointed below by bamccaig, probably type568 just copied around the censorship, because if you copy/paste normally it works.)

Well, I added your script it works. Thanks..
Yet now I really don't know if I want it. About the quoting, I've no idea why it didn't appear, and no it wasn't copied around purposefully..

bamccaig said:

So I imagine type568 explicitly removed or copied around the profanity.

Or maybe I have? No idea :s
It's hot, and I'm gone to sleep to think about what Evert says about mass & energy here.

P.S:
Though these !@#$% really add some.. "Colour" to these fucks & shits.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

Though these !@#$% really add some.. "Colour" to these fucks & shits.

I just see italic swears ;) have for years.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I just see italic swears

Mine are red.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Someone should write a js helper to make swears bold, red and <blink>y.

--

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

LennyLen said:

Mine are red.

Same here :D

(I've also removed all signatures)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Someone should write a js helper to make swears bold, red and <blink>y.

You don't necessarily need JavaScript for that...

/* This should work in your custom CSS (untested). */
span.cuss { color: red; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: blink; }

Due to the hatred of blinking text, not all browsers support that, so you may need jQuery:

jQuery("span.cuss").blink();

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I didn't think CSS had blink support. I thought it was stuck in an old tag.

--

Go to: