Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Age++;

Credits go to Arvidsson, Arthur Kalliokoski, CursedTyrant, deps, Goalie Ca, GullRaDriel, ImLeftFooted, ixilom, Johan Halmén, Jonatan Hedborg, LennyLen, Michael Faerber, MiquelFire, OICW, and type568 for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Age++;
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Dario ff said:

If I get the 1TB HD(not really cheap for me), I'll just use the old disk as a system drive. The rest will be used for data.

I would not suggest you to do that. It is most likely, that a new hard drive will be a lot faster than an old one, and having your system on a fast drives gives various performance gains e.g. boot time, applications launch delay etc'..

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Meh, have fun managing that nightmare.

Why not get the 1TB drive, toss everything on it, and use your old drive for backing up important stuff?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

BAF said:

Meh, have fun managing that nightmare.

I will.

At least until I have a computer I can call of my OWN. It's kind of hard managing data when you've got brothers who're incredibily worried that it's not corrupted. I've been wanting to erase these partitions and back up, but the paranoids in my home will kill me if I do something like that. :P

Translation win

Stupid Win XP uses "Archivos de programa" instead of "Program Files". Expect to see a LOT of name clashes if you decide to switch to another language. I haven't seen this happen with 7 or Vista.

EDIT:

BAF said:

Why not get the 1TB drive, toss everything on it, and use your old drive for backing up important stuff?

Because I didn't want to do anymore partitions. But you're right, I just should take out the old HDs if I get the 1TB one.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

{"name":"601625","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71f86dec07174fda04e60f0384961992.png","w":857,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71f86dec07174fda04e60f0384961992"}601625

And I wanted to make one more in Mirror array (as C,D,E are hardware stripe raid), but I couldn't do that with windows 7, it's grayed out for some reason :(

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You don't need the Broodwar disk anymore IIRC.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

IIRC? Uh?
The game won't launch without that disk..

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Just copy the MPQ to the Starcraft folder.

EDIT: Here's the patch note:

Quote:

---------------------
- patch 1.15.2
---------------------
Feature Changes

- StarCraft and StarCraft: BroodWar no longer require the CD while playing the game. To play without the CD, please follow the following instructions:

Windows Users:
- Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked. To do this please use the following steps:
- Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer
- Click on Tools -> Folder options (Windows Vista users may have to press the Alt key to see the tools option at the top of the window)
- Click on the View Tab In the list, look for the "Hide extensions for known file types" option, and make sure that it is unchecked.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now you will need to copy some files from the Game CDs

- If you own only StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".

- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq". If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy and rename the install file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.

Mac users:
- If you own only StarCraft, copy "StarCraft Archive" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft/StarCraft Files/ folder.
- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "Brood War Archive" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft/StarCraft Files/ folder. If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy the Starcraft Archive file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

My setup is much simpler:

{"name":"601626","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b78b185f9fe6a66bbf2f9e540c6832d5.png","w":1280,"h":739,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b78b185f9fe6a66bbf2f9e540c6832d5"}601626

Seems my Y-drive is on the fritz again. I'm expecting it to fail at some point. If so, that would only be my second hard drive failure ever. X is a local cache of some old data, and Y has some crap on it, but it's backed up anyhow, so I'm not too worried.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I like your S & Z..
What's that glitch with total space & free space though?
And does anyone has any idea how to mirror software mirror a partition in Windows 7(some "power tool" when it's normally grayed out for some reason)? :P

Append:

Dario ff said:

EDIT: Here's the patch note:

Cool.. I never knew ;D.
Not like the auto-mounted CD bothered me much, but anyways :)
ty :)

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

BAF said:

My setup is much simpler:

And that's exactly what I would like to do.

I would also like to have Ubuntu, but I think I'll just use it with Sun Virtual Box and stop the deal with the partitions. :P

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It's just a bug with drive extender. Free space is correct, total space is only the size of the system partition. Actual total space is 7.5 TB.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

BAF said:

drive extender

I don't know such words.
Append:
The install.exe copying works :D

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It's a Windows Home Server thing.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Well, since this is like my personal thread for asking, I'll just resurrect it.

I finally got the money for buying the 1TB HD with a Cache of 64 MB. The only problem I forgot, is that I think my motherboard doesn't support SATA2 connections actually, but rather SATA. Just wondering, will there be a very noticeable difference in speed by using the standard SATA connection? I suppose the HD might just autodetect it or I will have to switch it to SATA speed manually.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I think you should find out what are the copy & read speeds of the HDD you're willing to buy, and to see how high are they above SATA1. As far as I know, SATA2 HDD will work fine on SATA1, although slower.. Same thing as USB 1 & 2..

P.S: I wanna 1TB HDD too :(
Or better SSD..

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It'll work fine, and most hard drives can't even exceed SATA1's speeds, so you won't have any issues.

Though some combinations of hard drives and sata controllers need you to set a jumper on the HD to set SATA1 mode, if the drive doesn't work out of the box, try that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

It'll work fine, and most hard drives can't even exceed SATA1's speeds, so you won't have any issues.

Heh, that was my guess. A mechanical HD copying faster than 1.5 GB/s? Kind of impossible.

Woot, so I guess I'll just buy it outright. Finally! I'm going to love the transition from having 8GB left to 800GB. \o/ Hope I don't fill it too quickly.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dario ff said:

Heh, that was my guess. A mechanical HD copying faster than 1.5 GB/s? Kind of impossible.

Bandwidth is generally measured in Bits per second, its 1.5Gbps not 1.5GBps ;)

It basically comes down to 150MB/s, and most hds are 80-120MB/s. Of course not all controllers are capable of running at full speed, so who knows really. All it'll effect is Peak transfer speeds from the disk's cache.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Bandwidth is generally measured in Bits per second, its 1.5Gbps not 1.5GBps

:-[ Damn it!

Phone call to Store said:

We don't have one in stock right now, come back at the afternoon. It'll definitely arrive by Monday.

Double damn it! :-/ The weekend would've been ideal. It might be available at the afternoon, but still...

EDIT: Finally I got it, after having to wait over 3 hours for a full format. Now I'm copying all the content of my old disks to it. It's going to take a BIG TIME, but it'll be worth it.

Now I'm wondering whether the new disk is writing faster than the reading speed of the old disk. ;D I guess I'll note a big difference when I put the OS on it.

Also, I'm wondering whether I should keep an Ubuntu VM or take the chance and install Ubuntu(or any other Linux OS) in one of the other HDs. If I can manage to dual boot it correctly. I just want to try out A5 and cross-compile to both Linux and Windows.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dario ff said:

Also, I'm wondering whether I should keep an Ubuntu VM or take the chance and install Ubuntu(or any other Linux OS) in one of the other HDs. If I can manage to dual boot it correctly. I just want to try out A5 and cross-compile to both Linux and Windows.

dual booting off separate disks is easier, and safer.

I dunno though if you think a VM is enough.. Just make sure to use one that supports GL passthrough, or A5 won't work at all.

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I think I'll just try first with a VM. I have my doubts that the 3D Hardware acceleration will work fine, but there's nothing wrong in trying. I don't really need it anyway for compiling an A5 program for a Linux OS right? (I can test it later)

Also, I find ridiculous how the new disk is copying and I can browse it just fine and read from it like if it were doing little effort at all. :P I think my last HD had only an 8MB Cache.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dario ff said:

Also, I find ridiculous how the new disk is copying and I can browse it just fine and read from it like if it were doing little effort at all.

When I updated to my 320SATA disk I was blown away. Before that my desktop was using multiple 80G PATA disks from like 5 years ago. The difference was AMAZING.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It's almost like there is no hard drive - at least in the sense that it never gets in the way. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

It's almost like there is no hard drive - at least in the sense that it never gets in the way.

It's the bottleneck to so many things.. Although I suppose the largest slowdown is various Microsoft timeouts..

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Here I am! I just did a clean install, and copied all of the contents of my old HD. Jesus, the boot up speed is amazing, though that might be just because it's a fresh install.

I'm downloading the NVidia driver ATM, but browsing the new HD seems like a breeze. It feels so comfortable. I might try installing MSVC now that I have enough space on my system drive.

But an Ubuntu VM will come first. ;)

Go to: