1   2 
Annoying BSOD
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Update all your drivers.

Update your system.

Clean up your heat sinks.

If you still have random bsod analysis results, then TEST YOUR FSCKING MEMORY.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

If you still have random bsod analysis results, then TEST YOUR FSCKING MEMORY.

It's not God damn random. It's only when I'm playing OLD(or old wannabe, well, low res, low color depth etc') games.

And not BSODs, but FREEZEs!
BSODs come from buffer overflows(looks like).

And jeez "test your hardware" which can run stress tests, but can't run game running on a Pentium 1?!

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

{"name":"601439","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/8512c689be63fa3ee88f1ddf550764a9.jpg","w":1712,"h":2560,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/8512c689be63fa3ee88f1ddf550764a9"}601439
Pretty annoying BSOD if you want a cold drink :D Took this picture today at the mall, thought it was pretty damn funny.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

In this case it's damn clear driver error, although I've no idea wtf does tbupddwd.sys do..

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

TBUPDDWD.sys ===> UPDD Driver

Freezes could be caused by some overheating, perhaps some dust make your computer keep running too hot.

Old games are perhaps not using the video memory, but the system memory, or the contrary.

Have you run memtest86 ? AFAIK, it run even on a pentium 1.

Edit: and those stress tests are filling your memory or just stress the CPU ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Prime95 Blend test. They claim this test tests both, and it has a proper reputation among overclockers.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If you're not going to follow any suggestions, maybe we should just stop posting in this thread then.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Prime95 Blend will stress the memory controller, but not the memory itself (not the full memory at least, only the memory it uses :P). As you said, it's used to check if an OC is stable, but not to check if all memory chips are ok (that's what memtest is for).

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I don't think I can run memtest, nor will it help- as some of the system settings are adjusted at windows startup with software..

Furthermore, I don't have any reasonable explanation for a potential memory or CPU error, as.. These games are lighter than this browser!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You can get memtest on live CD's, such as The Ultimate Boot CD. Note that you can boot it from a flash drive as well.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Oh well, after a number crashes even with these reduced clocks & 8-10hrs stability with Prime95 Blend Test I found some Fedora12 Beta distro, which happened to have Memtest86. It ran for about 35 minutes, then it said something about a complete pass and no errors found(duh).

However.. There's one more thing: some of my memory timings are adjusted during runtime. I'll save the settings and turn it back to it's defaults and see if there will be anymore errors, which sounds silly due to the fact it carries out hot heavy loads without issues, but if so many people say it's likely to be memory problem..

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

, then it said something about a complete pass and no errors found(duh).

I have some stability problems with my older machine, I ran memtest on it a few times. Sometimes it'd register memory issues, sometimes it would. Probably means it isn't ram failing, but more likely power, or worse, the motherboard has had it.

In most cases, it is the ram though. Even if it takes a couple passes of memtest86+ to see an error.

You really don't want it to not be the memory. Otherwise you have a much more expensive fix, the mobo or the cpu might be failing. Or possibly the psu, but then you have to find a new psu that isn't a cheap piece of crap (otherwise it isn't a valid test).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I have some stability problems with my older machine, I ran memtest on it a few times. Sometimes it'd register memory issues, sometimes it would. Probably means it isn't ram failing, but more likely power, or worse, the motherboard has had it.

All of these failures are likely to occur under a load, not during the lightest of imaginable tasks.

Append:
"Read to Write Delay"(tRTW) increased from 4 to it's default 5, it was all of the software changes.

Append1(reply to Thomas's unspecified edit :P):

Quote:

In most cases, it is the ram though. Even if it takes a couple passes of memtest86+ to see an error.

You really don't want it to not be the memory. Otherwise you have a much more expensive fix, the mobo or the cpu might be failing. Or possibly the psu, but then you have to find a new psu that isn't a cheap piece of crap (otherwise it isn't a valid test).

I think it's software related.. It's anyways has some glitch with colors when I enter it in it's menus. But still, I don't get how does it get to crash whole system.

Out of it being RAM- it's overclocked a bit still, I can decrease the clocks.
Or replace the ram, not so big deal either.. If it is it at fault.

1   2 

Go to: