Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does this sound like a scam to you?

Credits go to bamccaig, Matthew Leverton, Ron Novy, Slartibartfast, type568, and Vanneto for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does this sound like a scam to you?
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've been checking Craig's list for jobs in hope of a better tomorrow. I sent a resume yesterday and got this reply:

Dear Applicant,

Congratulations, this is a tentative offer of employment for the available position with GNC Health, Inc.

As you know, this position pays a generous hourly wage, with benefits, and also provides potential to earn significant overtime income if you choose to take advantage of that, when the opportunity arises. You are also provided with a full lunch every day, which is provided by a local catering company. We are hiring rapidly at this time, and are fully prepared to make you employment offer, provided that you comply with the rest of the recruitment terms.

This is a full-time position. Depending on your experience and physical ability, you will be working either inside the warehouse in packing and shipping, outside on the truck-loading team, or operating a forklift. These jobs vary in pay as well as physical and mental demands. Your starting wage will be based on your preferred department, your physical ability, and experience level. Some experience working in a warehouse setting is preferred, but not required. Full paid training will be provided.

To accept these terms and move on to the final stage of the recruitment process, you must provide us with a current copy of your credit report to go in your employment file. GNC Health, Inc has a zero-tolerance policy in regards to theft of company property. Your credit scores or payment history are not important to us; rather it is a means of verifying your identity, and will also serve as your acceptance of the position. Once you fill out the report, an email is automatically generated that notifies us of your acceptance, that in turn will email you new hire paperwork and give you times for orientation and uniform fitting. Be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you to the orientation.

Your free report can be obtained here: http://instant-reports.com/basiccreditreport/

This tentative offer will expire in 72 hours from the time sent. If you choose not to accept it, or have any questions, please email me directly.

We appreciate your interest in joining the team at GNC Health, Inc, and hope you decide to come aboard!

Tina Peters

Human Resources Director
GNC Health, Inc.

Typically a company reviews your resume and asks you to come in for an interview. What worries me is they are asking for a credit report, I don't want to go to the site and give personal information for someone to steal. I know a lot of companies ask for one as a condition of employment, but they get it after the interview. Any thoughts?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Erm.. Gratz?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The person is getting referral money by having you buy a credit report. His hope is that you sign up for a free credit report and forget to cancel before thirty days. Then he'll get a nice little referral bonus.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Typical blackhat CPA email. A rather nice one, really. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Usually you need to be hired and working before they would ask you for anything more than a simple form of identification. If they want a credit report through an email then it's definitely a scam. Never give any information out through the internet or over the phone...

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Oh well. Maybe one of the others will work out. :(

What does this symbol mean?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Go to: