Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Why phishing works

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Why phishing works
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

It kind of makes you want to start searching for Facebook on Google to vote up ReadWriteWeb's post... :-/

;D

On a sidenote, how many people go to Facebook via google search? On the other hand how many of them just type "facebook" in their browser and hit enter without filling in ".com"?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

OICW said:

On a sidenote, how many people go to Facebook via google search? On the other hand how many of them just type "facebook" in their browser and hit enter without filling in ".com"?

Doing that seems to redirect me to FB, so I see no problem there. I guess it'd be a different matter for Chrome users.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well I have google search available via address bar in Firefox, so if you would be able to devise such a google bomb to get something else in the first place of the list of answer on the "facebook" query...

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

... type "facebook login" in your browser URL field. It takes you somewhere. Where, exactly? Why, the top result of a Google search for "facebook login", of course. That's what people have been doing.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

People laugh at me when I bother to type the url exactly, right down to the trailing slash.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

All you really need is a Web page with a <frame> that loads the ReadWriteWeb's post and uses JavaScript to hide the this is not Facebook disclaimer and you could keep it going indefinitely[1]... Send the link to a couple of friends, they'll get to the comments and freak out, and send it to all of their friends. We could actually slay the beast that is Facebook!

References

1. Edit: This was assuming JavaScript can manipulate the DOM of a framed document. It doesn't seem to be able to, at least in Firefox 3.6 (for all I know, IE might be another story though).
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

When I was doing tech support and I'd tell people to test their connection by going to red.com or something, you'd be amazed how many went to Google first, or did it via a Google toolbar. I still think most of those comments are taking the piss though.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've never seen a novice (i.e., any non-tech) user type a fully qualified domain into the address bar. Most of the time they enter something into whatever search field appears on their start page or click a bookmarked link.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

My yolk is starting to boil...surely those comments can't be real...although there is a lot to be said for technological ignorance among general public.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

OICW said:

"facebook" in their browser and hit enter without filling in ".com"?

I do that with every site I visit. In fact, I usually only type the first 3 or 4 letters and hit enter.
:P
Google Chrome auto completes what you type. Hitting enter indicates that what it guessed was correct. So "face<enter>" goes right to facebook.com.

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

In the middle of a sea of comments about not being able to log in: "The new facebook is ok".

It's funny in a sad kind of way.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Nvm.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It took me a minute to realize that page is just a gag.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Speaking of phishing, look who left a voice message on my cell. I don't think I'll waste the minutes listening to it.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I had the same experience a week back from some 808 number, did a lookup but I didnt get one of these sites.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I wish I'd known about that who's calling page when something associated with congresscritter Walter Jones was calling my pre-paid cell with recorded messages about why I should vote for him.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

On my pre-paid, I was getting international calls for some reason. Most annoying about it was I didn't have time to actually pick my phone up when they called.

Current cell, people text me. Latest one being from my "sugar momma".

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I got calls from this number 234-809-053800, google can't find anything. Anyone know if its an international call?
I checked my vm from that earlier number, it was for someone else. My outgoig message does not specify my name so people can't get any info on me.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Dudeson
Member #11,689
February 2010

seriously guys..

wtf?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Dudeson, if you're lost, click here to log in to Facebook. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I want the 30 seconds of my life and 400,000 braincells I lost on this thread back. >:(

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

BAF said:

I want the 30 seconds of my life and 400,000 braincells I lost on this thread back. >:(

I'm sure all the people who responded to this may agree with you! ;)

1   2   3 

Go to: