Credits go to miran for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
installing fedora 12 from windows xp
verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Hello again,

Now I'm trying to install fedora 12 live cd or fedora 12 dvd from windows xp onto a second disk that windows sees from the OS. I was wondering why doesnt fedora have an installer like windows or if there is such a thing? I tried to boot the live cd from startup with only the cd-rom as the boot option and no luck, so I figured the windows install would make my life easier.

8-)

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

verthex said:

I was wondering why doesnt fedora have an installer like windows or if there is such a thing?

Of course there is. I don't know how the Fedora live CDs work, but if you download the regular install DVD, you just boot from it and you get a nice graphical installer. With a live CD you probably get an icon on the desktop that says "Install to hard drive" or something along those lines. Most distributions of Linux, including Fedora, aren't meant to be installed from within Windows.

Quote:

I tried to boot the live cd from startup with only the cd-rom as the boot option and no luck

Maybe you didn't burn the CD properly? You have to burn the ISO image that you downloaded, not a normal CD with one file (the iso image) in the file system. If you look at the contents of the CD while you're in Windows, what do you see?

--
sig used to be here

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

miran said:

Maybe you didn't burn the CD properly? You have to burn the ISO image that you downloaded, not a normal CD with one file (the iso image) in the file system. If you look at the contents of the CD while you're in Windows, what do you see?

Nope, used Nero and burned an image, also checked the sha256 checksum used Hashcalc. I was wondering if there was a utility outside of linux that does the install, not linux itself.

miran said:

Most distributions of Linux, including Fedora, aren't meant to be installed from within Windows.

Of course I did not expect the dvd or cd to load up in windows although I'm surprised the boot disk didn't work. I dunno.

EDIT: The live cd did boot on my laptop but as soon as I tried any of the 4 options, my computer froze. fuck the live cd.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Well, as I said, I have no experience with live CDs, only normal installation CDs/DVDs. On my laptop (HP ProBook) Fedora 12 installed OK, but then Grub (the boot loader) didn't work. Apparently there are problems with the new version of Grub and some computers. On my main desktop PC I had no problems upgrading from Fedora 11 (using the same DVD) other than a few broken things which were fixed with the first updates. So if you're just experimenting with Linux to see what it looks like, perhaps consider a different distro?

--
sig used to be here

Martin Kalbfuß
Member #9,131
October 2007

There a free CD burning apps for windows.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

You better get a normal install CD. Live CDs have sometimes problems with detecting the correct settings. But that your CD is booting into windows is strange. This sounds like a problem with this fuckin nero or your bios settings, not with the iso image.

http://remote-lisp.spdns.de -- my server side lisp interpreter
http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/ -- Modula-2 alias Pascal++

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It's not nero's fault, I can assure you that. If you burn an iso in Nero, it just burns the iso. I blame Linus, he's a douchebag.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I'm gonna try using a crossover cable to install debian (net install) on my local machine which has a HDD but no direct internet. Then I'll download the rest of debian on my laptop(with a network wifi).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

bamccaig said:

Are you sure you're using the right architecture?[1]

???

shit! ;D

edit: oh no, I checked, I was using the i686 live cd. I have an AMD 64 clawhammer.

Martin Kalbfuß
Member #9,131
October 2007

Do you have more then 4 gigs of RAM? If not, you can use 686.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Do you have more then 4 gigs of RAM? If not, you can['t] use 686.

You still can, but the system will only see what is addressable in 32-bit address space, which is somewhere around 4GB. That's not even necessarily correct though because PAE, which Linux apparently fully supports, allows up to 36-bits (64GB) on supported processors. The memory isn't as addressable as it would be in a larger address space (they need to do magic to allocate it with the still limited address size), but the system can still make use of some of it. I've never knowingly used PAE, however, and I don't know whether popular distros ship kernels with built in support by default or not.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

I've never knowingly used PAE, however, and I don't know whether popular distros ship kernels with built in support by default or not.

Debian will make you install a -bigmem kernel to get > 3G ram. actually installing 64G ram in an ia32 system is stupid. The performance is rather abysmal. Basically all of the "LOWMEM" (fast stuff) is filled with page tables for the rest of the memory, so all memory accesses have to go through a large triple (or more) indirect page table. I think the most you want to put in an ia32 system is 16G, if not 8G. After that you start to get serious performance issues.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

BAF said:

It's not nero's fault, I can assure you that. If you burn an iso in Nero, it just burns the iso. I blame Linus, he's a douchebag.

Linux is the "karma" of OS's. Not only does it take good fortune to run and operate, but it returns the favor to the end user when it doesn't operate and forces them to buy windows 7.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I warn those who use the latest debian kernel: ipv6 is now activated by default, and isn't running as a module anymore.

It lead to some dns problems (just disable ipv6 in firefox) and in any java applet trying to connect throught the network (it's trying to use ipv6 with my ipv4 address, like 22:23:24:25:0:...)

To bypass that when calling a java program, use this:

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true myjava.jar

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Out of all my use of linux, none of it has come down to luck or fortune, but understanding how the operating system works and actually reading documentation. Something that casual users don't want to do, they just want to click and have things happen.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For the most part, Linux just works for me most of the time. Usually better than Windows. When it doesn't, it's usually a matter of either using unstable software or not reading the documentation and not understanding how it works. If I have time to go through the documentation and make sense of it, I can usually get things working. For things that are more complicated and would require too much time to build an understanding of at the time, I'll just ask Google for half an hour and then give up and move on. It's no different from Windows in that respect. The difference is that the openness of a FOSS platform means that it's usually much easier to find help on a particular problem compared to a proprietary platform where everybody thinks their experience and knowledge is worth a fee.

To bypass that when calling a java program, use this:

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true myjava.jar

echo 'alias java="java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"' >> ~/.bashrc

???

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Blah blah blah garbage. See, thiy is why Linux can never best Windows. Users should not have to Google anything. They should not have to spend even one minute to get anything to work. It shoud just work (tm).

If it doesn't, the OS has failed. Now, this isnt bad for Linux distributions since they never hope to take a large share of the market...

In capitalist America bank robs you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

You know, people do need to Google stuff with Windows as well. The common Joe may not even be able to find the answer, unless he pays.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I don't need to Google for how to get suspend/hibernate to work, and then spend more time trying to hack it into working, unloading USB drivers, etc. Granted that was a year and a half ago, so it may work now. I know Ubuntu Netbook Remix just worked in that regard on my netbook, but then again, its hardware that Dell gives the option of buying with Linux anyway.

Martin Kalbfuß
Member #9,131
October 2007

There are tree problems with Linux.

1. Drivers.
2. Law.
3. Unstable Software in stable releases.

There's not much anyone can do about the first two as long as there's only a small group of users and the law doesn't change.

But the third one really sucks. If I download a stable release I want a stable release. Things like this give newbies the impression that Linux is an unstable system. This is really bad. Especially if everyone is talking about Linux as a stable system.

That's why I suggest debian stable. Even if it's a bit outdated.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Martin Kalbfuß
Member #9,131
October 2007

things like

libdvdcss and
lame

Maybe it's not the same in all countries. But for me the legal status isn't clear. So they aren't shiped with the distributions and I maybe do something illegal when downloading them. But they are important.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I got the fedora 12 live cd to work, it turns out that after a 10 second countdown, the boot process takes like 5 minutes. Now I cant seem to figure out how to partition my external hard drive and configure my wireless network card. Its not an embedded mobo card.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Are you familiar with Linux device files and their naming conventions? What specifically are you getting that you don't understand?

I don't expect to be able to help much with your wireless connection, but if you can be more specific about your problems it would at least give it context. You might want to try searching for related guides. Whenever installing a distribution for the first time, be sure to read the intallation guides on the distribution's Web site. I assume you're attempting a network install with wireless. See if you can find a guide on network installs that supports wireless. I'm not even sure it would be supported (though I don't see why not). If you have one, a wired connection would probably be a lot easier to use, at least until you get up and running.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Well, basically, I tried to install the live disk to my external drive and the error said that it "did not find sufficient space to install". Its NTFS and has nothing on it. I also tried to partition the drive but I'm worried that I might run across my main drive because the options menu for it pulled up both my internal and external drive. What format should I use for fedora. I also want to encrypt my files system.

1   2 

Go to: