Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Multiple motherboards in one case under a single OS.

Credits go to deps and jhuuskon for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Multiple motherboards in one case under a single OS.
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

verthex said:

Numerical computation is all CPU, so I would only need one GPU

What mathmatics deals with strictly non floating point integers? GPUs are insane at floating point. The new Nvidia chip is supposedly a monster at number crunching in double floating point calculations.

Quote:

and AMD's are supposedly more easy to overclock than intel???

What does overclocking matter when a 4Ghz intel i7 or Xeon is faster than even many overclocked AMD models? Can't wait to see if AMD's new family of chips will manage to close the gap with the i7's but right now its no contest. The i7 platform wins hands down.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

BAF said:

No it's not. I take it you've never heard of CUDA. If you're looking for quick and cheap box with lots of calculation power, I'd say grab some powerful video cards.

I guess, although I still wonder what the point of Xeons are, since only I need one fast network card, not 8 network chips.

What does overclocking matter when a 4Ghz intel i7 or Xeon is faster than even many overclocked AMD models? Can't wait to see if AMD's new family of chips will manage to close the gap with the i7's but right now its no contest. The i7 platform wins hands down.

I was hoping to get into the 5.5 GHz range with Phenom II by cooling the CPU down to -40 C range. I heard that's possible with methane and special phase cooling systems, a regular condenser unit from a fridge would also work...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Xeons are CPUs......

And what exactly is the point of this system? Overclocking a Phenom II to 5.5GHz hardly sounds like it is of the utmost reliability. It also sounds like a big power waster - good luck running handfuls of such setups on one PSU. :P

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I'm actually thinking of buying this now. It just doesn't say how fast it is? 250X what PC?

edit: according this article, the equivalence of flops to ghz is "1 TFLOPS at 3.13 GHz" (although I assume this is possible because the CPU is 3.13 and allows the GPU to run as fast). But is every calculation in an executable a FLOP????

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why do you want to build this again?

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Making grids of finite elements for PDE's. I guess they use a lot of FP calcs anyways, so CUDA would be helpful, I just can't get over the fact that I need a CPU to have a GPU, what is the reason for that and why do they even bother then if GPU is fast in the first place.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Because the GPU isn't as general purpose nor as easily programmable? You need a CPU to have a hard drive too, what's your point? :P

1   2   3 

Go to: