Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Alarm Clocks

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Alarm Clocks
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

gnolam said:

The sound from a clock I had for ~6 years occasionally pops up in movies and TV series, and every time I hear it it still causes me actual physical discomfort.

I have the same thing from my cell phone ringing (not physical discomfort, but my senses perk up if I hear the slightest sound that resembles my cell phone ringer in the background).

To wake up, tell yourself before you go to sleep that when your alarm goes off, you will get up. When your alarm goes off, stand up with both feet squarely on the floor and wait for your head to clear. Remember, waking up and turning off your alarm is something that you can control because it literally is all in your head.

If you are actually sleeping through your alarms, then set multiples. But remember to tell yourself to actually wake up when the alarm goes off. And this is the important part: actually mean it when you say it.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Marry someone you can't stand. Then you'll be so glad to get away from him/her you'll run out of bed.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm not sleeping through alarms. They just aren't waking me up on a conscious level. If I toss my phone in a random place before I go to bed, it'll ring, and I'll find it.

and then I'll go to bed.

And sleeping 10-12 hours still doesn't result in me wanting to get out of bed.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you have a shitty bed, try getting a new one. Its helped me quite a bit.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

When this sort of thing happens, the alarm clocks need to be set away from the bed so you have to get up to turn them off. It sucks, but at least you'll get up in time.

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

The smell of coffee wakes me up in the morning. That.....and napalm.

Really though, I have such an addiction to coffee in the morning, that no promise of sleep could keep me from it. Plus, I really enjoy drinking coffee and reading the news every morning. The thought of it pulls me out of bed.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Who needs an alarm clock when you don't sleep? Seriously I've been know not to sleep for about 2 days, crash for 8 hours and then repeat, no alarm clock needed, mostly only do that during school though.

When I do need to wake up though I usually set my iPhone to some random ungodly sound that scares me awake.

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I was having a problem with my alarm clock not getting me up. I tried setting my phone alarm as well, placing the phone across the room. That didn't work. I tried setting the alarm clock across the room and on top of a large wardrobe where I had to stretch to reach it. That didn't work.

I even tried having a friend give me a wake up call. I woke up three hours late, with my phone on the floor with the battery out, and an angry friend.

I think my problems were based more around not being able to get to sleep at night than not being able to get up in the morning. But I understand what you mean when you say your alarm clock doesn't get you up.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Have you tried one of those alarm clocks for deaf people, that physically shakes your head when it is time to get up?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Have you tried one of those alarm clocks for deaf people, that physically shakes your head when it is time to get up?

How violently does it shake? I've had people shake me so hard I fell out of the bed before, without waking me up.

I'm nearly impossible to wake up if I've been asleep for between two and four hours. Except when suddenly I'm not.*

* Any type of emergency will wake me up. Also, something will invariably wake me up if I'm having a dirty dream.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you had something to live for, it wouldn't be so hard to get up.

IMHO, this is a serious part of it. For me, I dream basically every night and often I'm seeing people that I don't get to see in real life anymore. I don't want to leave that world in the morning and I have a hard time forcing myself to. Conversely, when those people were in my life, it was much easier to get up knowing I would see them. At one time I got so used to it I would wake up automatically on time and turn off my alarm before it had a chance to go off.

jhuuskon said:

Reorganise your bedroom so all noise-making equipment require getting up to reach.

This is irrelevant. I have my alarm on the other side of my room. I need to get up to turn it off. And I usually do so in an insomniac state where I'm thinking of which combination of UNIX commands will shut the goddamn thing off. And my alarm is an ordinary clock radio.

jhuuskon said:

Go to bed at a reasonable time. :)

This is something I never do anymore because I can't shut my brain off and don't like what I'm stuck thinking about anymore. During the day, I distract myself with computers, cars, music, and occasionally a basketball. During the night, there's nothing to distract me anymore. So I avoid going to bed as long as I possibly can. It really doesn't feel good, but I guess it still feels better than thinking about it that much more...

No, honestly, what wakes me up best is someone taking my blanket away.

That would probably work for me as well. I'm not comfortable without covers. Which is a problem when the room is too hot... :-X

Goalie Ca said:

My alarm is set so that it is quite mentally disruptive. It makes this beeping sound that is quite harsh and pisses me off all to hell. It's got all the wrong harmonics :-) When I really need to get up I set it on that instead of the radio mode.

The radio would never wake me up. I never even bother with it. Usually when I'm visiting my brother, he'll turn on his entertainment center crazy loud in the same room as me with rap music blazing and I can sleep through it no problem (unless I'm hung over... :-X). Music won't wake me. And radio DJs would probably just entertain me. Both would find their way into my dream.

gnolam said:

I find it more disturbing that I eventually get a Pavlovian conditioning to my alarm clocks - the adrenaline rush from being brutally awakened eventually gets associated with the sound itself. The sound from a clock I had for ~6 years occasionally pops up in movies and TV series, and every time I hear it it still causes me actual physical discomfort.

The Wendy's fast food joint where my colleagues and I go for lunch once or twice per week has the exact same alarm as me and it drives me crazy... :'( And it's right on the other side of the counter so customers are bothered by it too... It is not a pleasant sound (it makes you want to kill things) so I wouldn't be surprised if enough people complained for them to get rid of it because I don't remember hearing it in a few weeks.

If I'm really tired but need to get up, my mind tries to play tricks on me to get me to sleep. I start to imagine/dream that I'm getting up and getting ready or that I'm doing work until I either notice that this is happening or am back asleep.

Yeah, this happens to me too. Often many times in a morning if nothing stops me. There have been times when I've dreamed the whole day had gone by (and believed it completely) and then I wake up only to realize that I haven't even woken up yet...

Onewing said:

I wish there was an alarm clock that asked you a math question that you have to get right to be able to turn it off. I need something to force me to think just a little to help me wake up. Even if the alarm clock is on the other side of the room, I can get up, turn it off and get back in bed without ever waking up. :-/

I don't have a problem thinking. My brain never seems to go into power saving mode... It's hard to let my conscious mind give in. Even when I'm asleep I'm dreaming and often have lucid dreams. In the morning, my brain is doing a lot of thinking, but unfortunately all it's capable of doing is this kind of thinking:

{"name":"insomnia.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8bfeaf343ab5eae80e79455bad64387c.png","w":740,"h":237,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8bfeaf343ab5eae80e79455bad64387c"}insomnia.png[1]

What you need is motivation, find something productive to do, obviously, try staying away from the computer as sitting your ass down is not good for your health. Go to bed on time, and wake up early. Eat good healthy foods and treat yourself well :)

The things that motivate me are gone and my hands are tied. :-/

When your alarm goes off, stand up with both feet squarely on the floor and wait for your head to clear. Remember, waking up and turning off your alarm is something that you can control because it literally is all in your head.

This would work well, but unfortunately in the time it took my head to clear everybody else would be awake and furious... :-X If I was living alone I would do this[2].

To wake up, tell yourself before you go to sleep that when your alarm goes off, you will get up.

Again, this goes back to the motivation argument. If there's something to look forward to then you'll have a much easier time getting up. The problem is that the world doesn't necessarily have to cooperate.

decepto said:

The smell of coffee wakes me up in the morning.

I don't really like the taste of coffee. I also don't like the idea of it. It seems to make everybody a mindless zombie and I like my mind... :(

I think my problems were based more around not being able to get to sleep at night than not being able to get up in the morning.

This is my main problem. I dream regularly and love to sleep, but I have a hard time getting there. My mind is very active and I can't just shut it down... So I lie in bed thinking about things and it keeps me awake. And lately all I have to think about are bad things so I don't even like to go to bed knowing I'll be up for hours thinking about it. So I postpone even getting to that step. By the time morning comes, I've had at most 6 hours of sleep and I'm still exhausted so I don't want to get up.

What I usually do is set my alarm an hour early. I set it for 7 and then when that goes off I set it for a more correct time when I have to wake up, which is anywhere from 7:30 to 8:00, depending on how close to or over the wire I'm willing to be for the sleep. The hardest part is trying to figure out how to set my alarm while in an insomniac state... Like I said, everything in my life/dreams merge together to form an incomprehensible puzzle and my brain simply can't solve it. I'll be lying there thinking of all kinds of crazy things trying to figure it out and I just can't... I've been trying to figure out which vim command will do what I need... :-/

References

1. http://xkcd.com/313/
  2. Possibly after soundproofing the house/apartment if the neighbors are too near.
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

My mind is very active and I can't just shut it down... So I lay in bed thinking about things and it keeps me awake.

This is the same thing that happens with me (although I usually don't think of bad things). In fact, 90% of my ideas for games come during these hours of tossing and turning when my mind won't stop going.

In the last few months stress has worsened this to the point that I'm awake until four or five in the morning. In the last week I've gone completely around the clock and now I'm on a normal sleep schedule (I literally couldn't get to sleep until almost 6pm the other day, despite being exhausted). Fortunately I've thought of ways to deal with all the little stresses, and the big stress of classes is over for the summer.

Of course, now I have the new stress that this lack of sleep caused me to fail every class, so now I'm worried if I'll even be in college next semester.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You need a serious heart-to-heart talk with the man in the mirror as to why you're pushing yourself so hard. What do you hope to accomplish?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

(although I usually don't think of bad things)

I don't always think of bad things... I'm just trying to sort through all of the things that I can't seem to resolve... I used to do the same thing with wonderful thoughts and I used to love lying there thinking about them.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

I don't always think of bad things... I'm just trying to sort through all of the things that I can't seem to resolve... I used to do the same thing with wonderful thoughts and I used to love laying there thinking about them.

My mind just kind of wanders, despite my best efforts to not think of anything.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You guys are probably the largest collection of complete losers all gathered in one place. :o

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And we gladly bow down to our Supreme Loser overlord ;D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

You guys are probably the largest collection of complete losers all gathered in one place.

Lead us, oh Supreme Loser!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

As soon as you wake up, put on some shorts, go outside, and jog / walk for an hour. If you cannot do that, then go find some corner to curl up and die in.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

I've had the same problem since highschool. These things have helped me:

Don't set the alarm clock, and then snooze it up a hundred times till you get up. Just set it to the last possible minute you could sleep and then force your self to wake up when it goes off. You'll get used to waking up at that time. If you snooze it, your body thinks it's okay to go back to sleep when the alarm has gone off.

Secondly, I've been changing my diet lately, drinking more water, and I find that it's easier to get up in the morning when I'm better hydrated and less full of carbon dioxide. I read somewhere that your body needs more rest if you're full of co2 cause the blood will bind to that instead of oxygen. Could be BS, or placebo, but I think it works.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Blood prefers carbon monoxide (CO) not dioxide.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

As soon as you wake up, put on some shorts, go outside, and jog / walk for an hour.

The problem is with going back to sleep before one is awake enough to do something like that. I like the idea mentioned earlier of having to do some sort of math or logic problem to turn off the alarm. If something can make me take conscious action before I get the alarm turned off, then I will be awake enough to not get back into bed.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

No, the problem is that you are a complete loser if you cannot get out of bed. An alarm clock will in no way change that.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

No, the problem is that you are a complete loser if you cannot get out of bed. An alarm clock will in no way change that.

Fine. I'm a complete loser.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I always wake up before the alarm rings and I switch it off (and it's always within my arm's reach), then I just lie in bed for 5-10 minutes to clear my head and I get up. I never had any problems with it.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

1   2   3 

Go to: