Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Twitter, an explaination, please?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Twitter, an explaination, please?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm gonna be very concise: What the hell is so special about Twitter? Moreover, why would ANYONE who isn't retarded want or need it?

My understanding of it is this: it's a blog without the content. You type in one liners (just like your facebook or myspace status) that inform people what's going on in your life. And then you can read updates of everyone around you--or even famous people!

So why would anyone care? What use does it provide that warrants another website you have to check daily?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

You obviously lack a certain sense of imagination.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

kazzmir said:

You obviously lack a certain sense of imagination.

I wouldn't say that. I actually understand Twitter, but I still don't see the point

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

video

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

If a girl you had the hots for had a Twitter account, I'm sure you'd check it every 15 seconds.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It's public IM, basically.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

why would ANYONE who isn't retarded want or need it?

Anyone who does want it is retarded.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yeah, it is a way to send a SMS to nobody in particular. So, suppose you are happy, and you have nobody (or too many) that may want to know that, you just send a tweet saying "I am happy".

It is one of those Web 2.0 things, you don't understand it, just know everyone uses it and you either use it or be left behind.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its like IRC channel where everyone talks at once about mundane crap, but you have to subcribe to PEOPLE instead of channels

ReyBrujo said:

It is one of those Web 2.0 things, you don't understand it, just know everyone uses it and you either use it or be left behind.

Thats a little melodramatic, been Twittering much? Twitter still isnt making money, eventually the investors are going to cut off all funding

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Twitter's good for time-sensitive stuff too. In one of the recent Penny Arcade podcasts, Gabe said he uses it to announce things like those live drawings he broadcasts, and he has 11 thousand people following his Tweets (not just for that I'm sure). It has its uses. Not that I ever tried it.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Its like IRC channel where everyone talks at once about mundane crap, but you have to subcribe to PEOPLE instead of channels

The only thing Social Networking has accomplished is showing how boring most people really are.

ReyBrujo said:

On the contrary. It provides no life-progressing purpose, and very limited entertainment. So the less time I waste with that (and things like it), the more productive my life is going to be.

The more time you spend online keeping up with other people (and discussing other people), the less time you spend actually improving and enjoying yourself, or actually socializing with your real friends.

torhu said:

If a girl you had the hots for had a Twitter account, I'm sure you'd check it every 15 seconds.

No. For the same reason I don't check girls MySpace or Facebook accounts. It doesn't yield fruition. If I'm not gonna ask them out--then I don't care. If I am, then it's only going to last one conversation before I have (or don't have) their number. At which point social networking once again becomes useless.

[Yeah... I'm an appendwhore...]

Ahahahahhahah! Yes!

One extra question: Do I always come off as a philosophizing a-hole in every post?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

ReyBrujo
January 2001

The only difference between Twitter and others is that you can send and receive from mobile phones.

(Edited: Easily)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I once said:

Twitter is for the people who mistakenly think their lives have significance.
People post stuff because they sorely need somebody to validate what they are doing.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

My goooodness,that video you posted is freaaaking funnny as heeeck.

Wow , lOLLL, wow, thatss funnny

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

What the hell is so special about Twitter?

Twitter is an effect form of communication for certain time sensitive situations: national disasters, minute-to-minute news coverage, etc.

However, I don't really see the point of Joe Everyman using it to actually create content.

The only thing Social Networking has accomplished is showing how boring most people really are.

...and how narcissistic we are.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Subscribe to the RSS feed of a news station.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

ah... y'all are Twitter haters 'cause you lack social skills.

Twitter is about being more in touch with your friends and being able to anonymously broadcast or keep up with things that are more personal to you. A friend needs help and asks everybody through twitter, someone bites and it's all good. I believe the reason it has caught on is because it's mobile, brief, and relatively anonymous. It gives you an opportunity to find things to do socially and coordinate with friends more easily.

If you don't have friends, then yes, it is stupid.

This is fine and dandy as long as you don't allow your twitter to get out of hand, eg. subscribe to some company's feed who only uses it for advertising. Keep it in the friend circle and it's great.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

It gives you an opportunity to find things to do socially and coordinate with friends more easily.

That's something that was never difficult in the first place.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I understand why people are doing it. Our society has degenerated into the internet one and everybody now feels lonely, so people feel the urge to share their random thoughts to everyone. Something you can easilly do with your friends over the beer.

For me, it's a waste of time and bandwidth. Not to mention that everybody voluntarily gives away his privacy. That's the same with Facebook statuses, why the hell should anyone know what am I doing or how I'm feeling. Or why those so called friends should have it served on a silver plate. That's the way how to know your friends, if somebody calls/texts you from time to time asking how are you doing etc. that means they haven't forgot you and they do care, otherwise, well I guess there's something wrong.

As a sidenote I don't have Facebook account nor I do plan to obtain one. Even if somebody insisted on me to create it I'd hesitate and probably opt out. Reasons are simple - why the hell should I use something that does know "better" than me who is my friend. If they want to keep in touch with me (or vice versa) they have my phone number, my e-mail or my IM, so be my guest.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

A long time high school friend of mine just had her first baby. I haven't seen this friend in a long time because, like most high school friends, we moved away and found new college friends, jobs, etc.

It's not like she's going to call or email me after she's had a baby to tell me all about it. So it's better for her to post some baby pictures on her facebook page and it makes me really happy to see her and her new family. I get to tell her "yay" and see my other friends sending notes of goodwill and so fourth.

OICW said:

Our society has degenerated into the internet one and everybody now feels lonely, so people feel the urge to share their random thoughts to everyone.

That's the /b/ section of facebook. I don't advise going there.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

ReyBrujo said:

The only difference between Twitter and others is that you can send and receive from mobile phones.

(Edited: Easily)

Twitter still isnt making money, eventually the investors are going to cut off all funding

The second comment explains why the first isn't entirely accurate; owing to Twitter's failure to generate profit, Twitter no longer sends SMSs in the vast majority of the world. In fact, it might now just be the US and India? It certainly doesn't look good when the service provided is contracting, no matter how excited media commentators remain about Twitter.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I just realized Facebook's group discussion boards only allow members (i.e., supporters) to post... That's not a discussion. It's a support meeting. A bunch of Canadians with no sense of humor are joining an anti-Fox News group because of the jokes made... Ridiculous. All I fucking hear in Canada is American stereotypes. At least Fox's jokes were funny (and based on truth).

ReyBrujo
January 2001

They have raised quite a lot of money, and will now open pay accounts.

I am pretty agnostic about Facebook. If you had a friend and were really friends, you should have not lost contact with him.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Although that's true, I do often find that when I'm with my friends it transpires that it is assumed I know something which I do not because it has been posted on Facebook.

I was on Facebook, but quit. Now I'm seriously considering going back, since I have the iPhone from work and am often on buses or trains.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I don't like the fact that, in order to discuss, you need to be a member for most of the groups. I would use it if I were to want others to contact me, but I am not sure that is a good idea. I mean, why would I want them to contact me?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

1   2   3 

Go to: