Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » How much time do you spend in front of the computer?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
How much time do you spend in front of the computer?
alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I don't think that's one of the symptoms. Nearsightedness and/or cataracts, maybe.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Or maybe a large BMI. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

ML: That'll depend on your base Metabolic Rate. if its high, you won't get fat no matter what you do. Especially if your system is programmed to generate muscle instead of fat. Then as you sit and eat, you get more muscle, which burns more calories...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yes, but all other things constant, the less exercise you get, the higher your BMI will be. It's hard to change those constants, but you can change the amount of time spent sitting down watching the tubes.

Plus, even if you have a low BMI thanks to your genes, without regular exercise you'll still be unhealthy. Personally, I'm becoming a terror on the basketball courts. 8-)

Oh, and before anybody claims he cannot lose weight, watch The Biggest Loser show. (Actually don't, it's gross.) But after three months of getting their butts kicked by trainers they can drop up to 150 pounds ... and keep it off.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

While I'm not disputing the fact that no-one can't loose weight, a BBC special I watched a little while back found that people's systems are programmed to keep a certain amount of fat, some people its programmed super low, some super high. So even if you do loose the weight, your system will complain and say you're hungry, even when you don't need the food to stay at your current weight. It'll try to force you back up to the pre-programmed level.

Of course that's not really an excuse to be 450lbs, or even 260lbs (if you're under 6 feet tall), but it does make staying at a lower healthier weight much harder than if you weren't stuck with a higher than necessary programmed fat level. I have found I can "get used" to feeling hungry sometimes, of course I learned how to do that by living well under the poverty level in this country ($40-80 for food a month, including cat supplies :o). Damn hard, but it is possible. Whats funny about that though, is I didn't loose that much weight. but I didn't have a scale, so I can't tell you exactly how much I did or didn't loose. I can tell you it made my stomach (not my belly) shrink. I still can't eat any where near as much as I used to be able to before that stage in my life.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

At 260 pounds you can lose a LOT and not really notice it. I don't feel any slimmer but I've lost 20 lbs in 2-3 months. Think of how heavy 20 lbs is. It's hard for me to believe I lost that much weight.

Darizel
Member #10,585
January 2009

Exercise is healthy in more ways than just burning calories. It makes endorphins, whatever those are.

----------
struthersgames.com - fun games for free download ;)
I am not an idiot.*
*in my opinion.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Exercise is healthy in more ways than just burning calories. It makes endorphins

So does cutting. :P

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Usually around 12 hours per day on weekdays, and 4 hours on weekends. Luckily I still can see the bus letters at a distance of 200 meters, I think it helped that my father and grandfather were great at shooting!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

At 260 pounds you can lose a LOT and not really notice it. I don't feel any slimmer but I've lost 20 lbs in 2-3 months. Think of how heavy 20 lbs is. It's hard for me to believe I lost that much weight.

I never said I couldn't ;D I've been up near this weight, and lost it before, for a fairly long period. TBH i was down to 205 a few years ago. I was SO close to hitting 200 I could taste it, but I just couldn't seem to get down the rest of the way. Then my life got flipped turned upside down and I gained it back after a long bout of more "blah"*. (hah! tricked you, I didn't really "Fresh Prince" on you :P)

• how I refer to my dissociative episodes :o

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

$40-80 a month is madness. The hell were you eating?

I'm skinny naturally (6'1" @ 120lbs) but lately I've been eating about 1 1/2 meals a day cause I'm so poor. But $40-80 a month, I have no idea how to do that.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

120 pounds? That's anorexic!

My food bill is less than $50 a month, not counting the few times I go out for a pizza.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm sorry 130lbs. Not anorexic, just skinny.

How do you do $50 a month?! That's like, one can of green beans and a pack of ramen noodles per day!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

About 10-12 hours per day: 8-9 hours of work, 2-3 hours of surfing, chatting, watching videos and generally relaxing. Please note that I don't watch TV anymore. TV has become extremely stupid (or I got older, whatever).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I shop at ALDI. Breakfast is cereal or eggs. Lunch/snack are sandwiches. Dinner is generally something with chicken, hamburger, or tuna. I drink water and milk. I don't buy any junk food or snacks.

I save about $10/month getting free hamburger from the family cow.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

If I am at home and not sleeping or doing other things required to not live in squalor, I am in front of the computer, half the time when I am sleeping my laptop will be on from watching movies, so even then I am in front of a computer.

As for biggest losers keeping it off, its not true.
http://www.popeater.com/television/article/biggest-loser-champ-gains-back-122-lbs/308362
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1626795_1627112_1626456,00.html

There is 2 ex-contestants of the Australian series that are advertising weight loss products at the moment, going on about how they didn't keep it off, and then going on about how whatever product will.

I know a contestant from the show, they were given no support when they left, and she says it was inevitable that it was going to happen. The only reason that they have such dramatic weight loss from the 1st week of effort is that they water load, then on the day of every weigh-in after that they are not allowed to have any water, and then go do strenuous exercise, which really isn't good for the body.

It is a game-show, it's purpose is to make money by selling the program to TV networks, sell weight loss products, and get people to use their online programs, and entertain the viewing masses. Helping people is secondary to their goals.

The only reason that I am not a fat arse is that I can't drive, (yet another lovely side effect of my meds.) So my life involves quite a bit of walking. Being tall also doesn't hurt letting me be 86kg and still be on the ideal weight range.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

$40-80 a month is madness. The hell were you eating?

Not a whole heck of a lot.

Quote:

My food bill is less than $50 a month, not counting the few times I go out for a pizza.

$40-$80 wasn't just my food bill. It was Everything except Rent (which included utilities and internet).

--

paulia
Member #10,789
March 2009

Usually 4 hours a day. If I'm facing the computer more than 2 hours, I'll take a 5 minutes break before continuing the work.

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

That 5 minutes away thing reminded me of something. In an update, GuildWars included a thing that would say

Quote:

You have been playing for X hours. Maybe take a break.

and one day, I mean yeah, there were food breaks, but that got up to 14. I don't think I was doing anything else that day.

Other days it got up to 11, 12. Sigh, Prophecies. I knew you well. Then your filthy brethren had to sully the glory that was GuildWars with their...lame. Seriously. Factions: it was okay. Story was meh, maps got annoying, but 'sin and ritualist were cool. Nightfall: good story, good...overall. But no Prophecies. And final missions that could be run in minutes with one build (55 monk) but were nigh impossible with a PUG. EotN was fun, but seemed kind of...gimmicky. Not sure why, but I adored Prophecies. Even though the others were still good games, I thought Prophecies was the best. The rest made there be too much to do, too much to master...

1   2 

Go to: