Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » name your favorite LCD monitor

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
name your favorite LCD monitor
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If you had, say, $200 to $300 to spend on an LCD monitor for programming (web) applications and watching movies (i.e., gaming is irrelevant), which one would you buy?

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I bought this one on January for $1189 (around USD 339 with importing taxes and shipping included, the US site has it for $199). It should arrive in a week or so. That will be my first LCD and while the contrast is 1:1000 instead of 1:2000, I doubt I will notice any difference since I am still using a 17'' CRT one. It is 1080p but not HDMI (DVI/VGA, I will be using it via VGA since I still have an AGP video card).

Anyways, guess I could recommend it because, even though I still don't have it with me, it is the one I chose as my first LCD.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

ks
Member #1,086
March 2001

HP LP2065 (S-IPS)

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

that price range is to low for any quality screens.

i remember buying a view-sonic 13in lcd screen for $450. and thats with the display item discount.

i want 52in duelys
and a bigger desk until then im stick with my 2 hp 1502s i got for $50 each from a yard sale

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I haven't tested a wide range of lcds, just a few laptop lcds and my two samsung 720n's. I'd probably go with another samsung since these two are working out so well for me. I use one as a tv half the time (with a tuner) and watch movies on it and even though it's only 17" I don't mind the picture from 10' away at all.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

My Dell 2001FP has served me well for as long as I've had it (a few years at least). It's 1600x1200 :-*

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

I'd buy a 22 inch wide screen monitor. My dad and I have 19 inch veiwsonic VA1912wb monitors (no bad pixels and they still work great after a few years) but that is because the bigger ones were still around 400-500 dollars at the time. I like wide screen better because I use unusually long variable names when programming.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Any PVA or S-IPS monitor.
I got one of these, http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/28/dell-2007wfp-20-inch-lcd-reviewed/ and it blows away my Samsung 226BW (my Samsung is one of the first generation S panels, so it's the good model) in terms of colour. Movies, games and pictures just look some much better on the monitor. It also is extremely customizable and has very sturdy construction. Also the viewing angles are excellent. So if you want to lean back further away from the monitor, you don't have to worry about half the colours fading out.

I can't find it on Dell's website, but for second hand these should be in your price range. I would recommend them.

If you have the extra money to spend, going for the 24 inch or 27 inch of the same model is also worth it.

I don't have any recommendations for cheaper monitors since except for a few rare cases, they are usually TN (I think Asus shipped a 20inch PVA for $240 or so not too long ago).

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

If you had, say, $200 to $300 to spend on an LCD monitor for programming (web) applications and watching movies (i.e., gaming is irrelevant), which one would you buy?

If that's all you're going to do with it, any brand name LCD will work.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

If that's all you're going to do with it, any brand name LCD will work.

High action movies will give you similar ghosting to fast games... So not just any brand name lcd will work. Unless they all sell LCDs with little to no ghosting all of a sudden.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I would buy the one I did buy. As I don't buy per my gaming needs so I bought the Acer 19" Widescreen LCD (V193w).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I bought a Samsung 2343BW around New Years for about CDN$300, IIRC. 23", 2048x1148 native resolution,... :-/ It seems pretty nice to me, but we all know I'm not really a hardware expert. :-X

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Quote:

Unless they all sell LCDs with little to no ghosting all of a sudden.

Looking at the selection of TN monitors, I can't find one with a greater then 5ms reaction time. I tested my 8ms (Non TN though, don't know if its measured differently), I can only manage to get it to ghost in a few very rare cases (I remember it doing it a little in UT2K4 in some parts, but I tried it right now, and it looks fine to me). Considering movies run at 24 fps you would need a pretty bad monitor to get it to ghost.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I got nothin.

The last monitor I bought was the SyncMaster 213T, about $850. Had it for about 3 years.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Quote:

name your favorite LCD monitor

Susan!

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

I'm using two Samsung Syncmasters (940BW) ... 19" widescreen with 1440x900 resolution each.
Works alright for me at least, rather cheap too. Haven't seen any ghosting :)

[Edit]
Oh, and I don't watch movies on my monitors. Thats what I got a 42" LG HDTV for :P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I was really impressed with my Dell 22" E228WFP when I got it. It's the best low price monitor (~240USD) I've come across.

We use it for watching movies in bed from about 15' away and find it easily big enough (widescreen monitors are great!), even when trying to read subtitles. The upodate speed is very good, but the resolution is a little low (1680x1050).

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I think my model at home is a Samsung 2253BW. Great monitor. I paid $350 for it, but they have dropped in price and been superceded by a newer model by now. I've always gone with Samsung and loved them, never a dead or lit pixel, never any problems at all.

Acer monitors are decent for the price as well. They sell for between $150-$230 CAD here for a 22" screen. I can't say whether they are durable or not.

Quote:

Unless they all sell LCDs with little to no ghosting all of a sudden.

That is more or less true these days. Most panels are 5ms or 2ms with very little ghosting.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

madpenguin
Member #2,201
April 2002

I have had good luck with a Samsung SyncMaster 206bw (it seems to have been superseded by a newer and even nicer model). Inexpensive ($229 USD), excellent colour quality, good contrast ratio, snappy refresh times.

---------------------------------------------
Cynicism field generator is enabled and operating at 97% of capacity

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Acer is an anagram for crap.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I mostly agree ;D

A friend bought a 22" acer though and it does look great.. I would be worried about it dying if it were mine, though.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I ended up ordering an HP w2408h (1920x1200, 24") for $199. No taxes or shipping costs, yay Internet.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I got the monitor yesterday. Still trying to get used to it. Tried it at 1360x768, since I am used at 1024x768. But some fonts were rendered really awful. Now I am at 1680x1050, the fonts is somewhat better but some images appear somewhat broken. 1920x1080 makes everything really small. Didn't try 1920x1200, it can only be worse.

Of course, I am using it via VGA, so that may be the problem.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

1920x1080 is the native res, so that is what you will want to set it at. Change font sizes, or DPI (or whatever) to make stuff bigger.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It will only look good at the native 1920 x 1080 resolution. If fonts are too small, then enlarge them.

1   2 

Go to: