Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Killed over Halo 3

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Killed over Halo 3
HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Wonder what Jack Thompson will say.

I can imagine what a dysfunctional family that must have been. 16 year old boys can be very unstable.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Would be interesting to know more about the boy, his parents, his environment. I can't believe that he shot at them just for taking away that game from him. He must have hated them deeply for other reasons and things that have happened before throughout his life.

Seriously, news like that, stating only the facts of one very short moment of someones life, completely out of context, are worth a crap.

Needless to say that of course video games are going to get all the blame for this.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I agree with Dennis. Taking the game away from him was probably just the final straw that pushed him over the edge. And video games are actually one of the best ways to vent... Besides, the kid was 16 or 17 years old. Plenty old enough for a game like Halo (can't say much for his taste though...).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Petric later took the game and handgun out of the lockbox. He came into the room where his parents were and asked them to close their eyes because he had a surprise for them, his father testified at the trial.

Prosecutor said he then tried to make it look like a murder suicide, AP reported.

He obviously didn't do a good job at it if his father is still talking...

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

What kind of father testifies against his own son in a way that makes his son look like the root of the problem? That's disgusting.

If my son shot my wife in her head I'd probably blame myself.
But I wouldn't deny the fact he shot her.

It's obvious his parents wasen't exacly the best, or, he had some sort of "problem".

EDIT: yeah.. isn't that strange? Why did he try to make it look like "murder suicide" before he killed his dad?.. sound very fishy to me.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

What kind of father testifies against his own son in a way that makes his son look like the root of the problem? That's disgusting.

If your wife was killed by your son, I'm sure you would defend him with ALL your heart. ::)

Truth is, sure, people would like to blame it all on the parents, its getting more and more popular. Ultimately, everything that happens to the child is indirectly/directly the parents fault.

Now that kind of thinking makes me sick. Get real, you cant protect kids from everything in this world, you can try, do your best, but some just have problems. Some parents see the problems before their kids shoot them, some don't, they are only human.

We could debate that the parents are lousy because of their parents, and their parents lousy because of theirs. Maybe society is lousy. I say the root of all problems is God himself!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Wow.

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

He wasn't much of a gamer either, if he was he would have done a melee attack with the gun first and then shot them.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Some times people get angry and go berserk. It is more common for children than adults. If he didn't have access to a gun, he may have had time to cool down without doing any serious damage. Why did he have access to a gun?

-----------

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

As far as I can tell, he snuck into his father's/parent's locked box where the gun was and where they stashed the game.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Some times people get angry and go berserk. It is more common for children than adults. If he didn't have access to a key, he may have had time to cool down without doing any serious damage. Why did he have access to a key?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I can feel an argument over guns will be starting soon ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Shit happens all the time. Like my father uses to say: "this can happen only in America."

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Some times people get angry and go berserk. It is more common for children than adults. If he didn't have access to a key, he may have had time to cool down without doing any serious damage. Why did he have access to a key?

Indeed, Kudos to the parents for locking the gun up, -2 kudos for keeping the gun loaded and near ammo, and keeping the key some place the kid had access to it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Quote:

Shit happens all the time. Like my father uses to say: "this can happen only in America."

2nd

usa flawed system upbringing at its best.

when you think for people they for get how to think.

in usa the systems thinks for you "protecting you ".

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

this can happen only in America

Why? Don't other countries have Halo? ???

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Why? Don't other countries have Halo?

We have Halo, but we just throw all our kids into a communal pot, meaning that we don't really have parents.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

If he didn't have access to a key, he may have had time to cool down without doing any serious damage.

Maybe.. depends if he actually set out to kill them, or if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision/temporary insanity. Either way, the next time he got pissed like that, it'd likely be worse.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Matthew Leverton said:

If he didn't have access to a key, he may have had time to cool down without doing any serious damage. Why did he have access to a key?

Yes Matthew, very good. But I think it is important to keep in mind that key isn't the weapon. The kid didn't use the key to kill his mum, he used the gun. Maybe the gun was locked up and hidden and guarded by a small army of monkeys - regardless, he was able to get the gun and he used it to murder his mother. If he was unable to get the gun, he would have been unable to shoot anyone. In this case he used a key to get the gun, but I feel that's beside the point.

Apparently the owners of this gun felt that the benefits of owning the gun (whatever they might be) outweighed the risk of this kind of event. I don't feel the same way.

Matthew, do you own a gun?

-----------

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

They won the darwin awards in any case.

Too many stupid people and overpopulation, let's take off all the warning labels and safety guards and let the problem solve itself.

I love America -- I love the rights we used to have
George Carlin

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Guns make killing a lot of people easy, but they don't really help if you want to kill someone in his sleep. This kid had a gun, and he could only kill one of his two targets at point blank range. Fail.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Quote:

They won the darwin awards in any case.

They forfeited the right to win the Darwin Awards 17 years ago actually.

I really don't have much to say.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

and keeping the key some place the kid had access to it.

Unless they kept the key on their person at all times, trying to keep something hidden from a determined teenager with enough time on his hands is impossible.

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Unless you hide it in your secret lunar space base.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

1   2   3   4 

Go to: