SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Lets hope that we can one day tell our children, "Yes, we did."

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Nobody noticed mccain conceded?

So Obama is in. Not with my support, but not with my dissupport either.

FWIW, I still think it's racist to be touting this as some huge accomplishment.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Yay for Obama :D

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Alabama for McCain according to BBC, 103-49.

No Alobama either :(. You guys have no sense of humour.

Quote:

Yes, especially when he is not that black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

For lack of a better definition I decided to write my own...

Racist: A person who follows or practices the belief of racism.

Racism: The practice or belief that the 'human race' can be segregated or subcategorized based on the color of ones skin or ones relegious or cultural beliefs or even the region or country one was born in.

I for one believe in 'Humanity' as a single race. Not always unified, but always one race no matter the region, no matter the religious or cultural beliefs and no matter the color (or colour) of ones skin...

So I can say that race was not, and is not a factor for me :P

Good night everybody..

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Congrats to Obama!::) It is a great day for America that we have finally elected an African-American as President. I just hope that this great day will not come back to haunt us. I know that every politician says one thing before getting elected and then does something else, but I hope that he is sincere in his love of America. I hope that the things I've read about his past are lies and that he will be a good president. Things DO need to change, and I hope that he focuses more on this country than sticking our noses in other people's business. Here is to America and our future! I also think that it is fitting to see the first African-American President comes from the same state, at least politically, that Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves did. To America and the great state of Illinios...my home state!8-) America has finally come full circle with the race issue!:D Now we just need a female President! I guess Palin is still an option!:-*

Edit:
And for the record, it was never a race issue for me...I feel it IS about time we have an African-American as President. I, being a former military person, would rather have a President with a military background. McCain is a good man and a great American hero...there is always next time!

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

As soon as the news came in that Obama won there was a lot of shouting outside, and then there were sirens...

Ok, so the shouting was just Obama supporters celebrating, there seem to be a lot of them for a state that went to McCain. And the sirens were because someone thought it would be funny to pull a fire alarm. But it gave me the opportunity to freak my friends out with predictions of rioting in the street;)s.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

BAF said:

It's an accomplishment for America more than for Obama. Think of what so much of the rest of the world sees when they look at the US.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596994

We've been claiming "liberty and opportunity for all" all along. Don't tell me Obama won't stand out there.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I thought Clinton was the first black president. ???

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

{"name":"2isy02.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/963f8ef959fe500b5a7c4a8074822dec.jpg","w":876,"h":971,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/963f8ef959fe500b5a7c4a8074822dec"}2isy02.jpg

Who won the state guessing game?

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Is there a reason certain presidents weren't listed in that image?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I think the biggest accomplishment in the voting is understanding how it all works. I read the rules and historical reasoning at the BBC and lost the will to live before I finished.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Quote:

Is there a reason certain presidents weren't listed in that [c-c-c-combo breaker] image?

Looking at the listed dates, the reason is probably that it's a screen capture and he didn't want to copy/ paste the rest (or make the image even larger).

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yay for you !

I hope it will be good for America. What's good for America is generally good for the rest of the world, except war and subprimes :-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Subprimes haven't helped us much either. :-/ ::) :'(

Edit: Oh and the latest war's progress hasn't been too swift.

Sol Blast
Member #9,655
April 2008

I think anyone saying that citing the election of a black president to be an achievement is a racist move really needs to take a look at it in the context of America's history.
I think seeing a person and there achievements based on the colour of their skin is indeed unnecessary, and argueably racist. However in this case of a black man being chosen as the commander in chief of a country that in relatively recent times had such a colourful and renowned battle for basic civil rights, marks that countries evolution into a much more mature and respectable part of the world.
It's not just a quirky milestone that people are choosing to make a big deal out of. It's a revelation in the countries attitudes and ideals, and it would be silly to deny that that's something worth celebrating.

In other news. I'm in work now after getting just an hour and a half of sleep, seeing as how i stayed up to 5:30am to watch the acceptance speech ;D. It was totally worth the sleepiness though. It was a beautiful speech.
I'd be really interested to hear how some McCain voters feel about his call for Americans from both sides of the vote to come together now that the election is over. Inspiring or Insulting?

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Why doesn't G.W. Bush have a painting portrait like the other presidents?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Because paint doesn't want to stay in M.Bush form. Look, you've missed something !

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596996

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

But what now for The Daily Show?

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

I suppose it is sort of racist. He'll have to work doubly hard if he wants kids 100 years from now to know him as anything other than "the first black president."

But that's just human nature. We look for concrete evidence to support our beliefs. In this case, it's that we really mean what we say about all men being equal.

Perhaps it takes something away from his own merits and accomplishments, and that's not really fair, but I think it's a good symbol of how far we've come.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Perhaps it takes something away from his own merits and accomplishments, and that's not really fair, but I think it's a good symbol of how far we've come.

I don't think it's necessarily a zero-sum game. You can point out that the positive tone of his advertising owed a debt to Reagan or that the swell of his ground force was largely thanks to Dean or that forcing McCain onto the defensive by directly campaigning in states that McCain would otherwise not even have even needed to visit was straight from the Rove rulebook, but at the end it was Obama who decided his platform, Obama who managed to stick at it all the way through that Democratic primary season against a candidate with much better recognition and a sense of inevitability, Obama who won those debates with McCain, Obama who managed to kill the Wright issue with a single speech and Obama who has been saying what people want to hear about the economy.

Oh, you know, and Bush that shredded the Republican party image and Palin that killed McCain's appearance as a centreground not-particularly-Republican candidate.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

I think the biggest accomplishment in the voting is understanding how it all works. I read the rules and historical reasoning at the BBC and lost the will to live before I finished.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to understand!

• Each state is worth X electoral votes based on its population.

• Win the state's popular vote and you win its electoral votes.

• Win a total of 270 votes and you are the President

Final vote is 364 to 173, if you give Missouri to McCain and North Carolina to Obama. Both could swing either way depending on the absentee vote.

Losing in Indiana, Ohio, Florida, Colorado, North Carolina, and New Mexico (among others) coupled with the loss of Senate and House seats makes it a very rough election for Republicans. They only won in super Republican states.

There were no surprises though—all of the polls were accurate.

I don't think race makes this race any more historic than others. In fact, just as I predicted, age was more of a factor than race (if you believe exit polls). Again, not surprising to me, the race voters favored Obama over McCain.

What makes this race stand out to me is that Obama comes from nowhere to beat Clinton and McCain—two huge names in politics. Just two years ago a head to head Obama-McCain poll had Obama losing in every state except Illinois and Hawaii!

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

XKCD made a comic about Matthew...

{"name":"election.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88a45dd480d8bfe106402a753bfb0064.png","w":740,"h":214,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88a45dd480d8bfe106402a753bfb0064"}election.png

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

So McCain still did better than either Republican candidate during the 1990s? That has to take most of the blame off Bush W, surely?

Think it would be incorrect to say that this election may have killed Atwater/Rove/Schmidt-style negative campaigning for a few years?

EDIT: Obama v Palin for 2012? For a near re-run of 1996?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I would say this election was comparable to the ones in the 1990's. McCain did slightly better than Bush Sr. and Dole, but Obama (unlike Bill Clinton) really had no chance in the deep south.

Go to: