Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Spore

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Spore
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Spore comes out tomorrow.

I don't really have anything else to say. Unfortunately, I don't really have the money to buy it, so once again I miss the initial fresh wave. :-/ Plus, I really need to stay focused for the next ten days for the upcoming gdc.

At least I can enjoy the first post here. :P

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Onewing said:

At least I can enjoy the first post here. :P

Congratulations on being the first to post about Spore!

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Having played around with it a bit, I have to say it's even shallower than I thought it would be :P A pretty mediocre game that tries to please everyone, but fails miserable at it. Only the first and last stages are any fun imo (the first because it's quick and simple, the last because it's a bit more complex and has some depth)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I have been expecting Spore to be a miserable failure and would be very surprised if it is not.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I have been expecting Spore to be a miserable failure and would be very surprised if it is not.

In terms of gameplay or sales? ;)

I doubt it knocks SimCity 4 off the top place in my charts (yes, I think I'm willing to say SC 4 is my favorite game evar), but I still expect to enjoy Spore.

------------

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Spore failed to entertain me, the first stage was the best but then I just waited for the fun to begin, to bad it never did.

Some people will probably like it thought.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

In terms of gameplay or sales? ;)

Of course it will sell well. It could be a big bag of poop and people would still buy it.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The wink was to imply the question was rhetorical. ;)

------------

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Matthew Leverton said:

It could be a big bag of poop and people would still buy it.

Gee, that's almost woot's philosophy...

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I've been enjoying it, but I'd probably enjoy it more if it didn't keep on crashing...

People who were expecting hardcore gameplay would certainly be disappointed, since it's definitely a casual game. The game mechanics have also been simplified quite a bit, which could make it seem pretty shallow. But it's still fun though, simply because every part of it is very well designed and very intuitive (well, mostly.) They didn't want to shut anybody out by making it too complex, but I guess when you do that, you kind of inherently shut out the hardcore gamers because it's too simple.

My main gripes with it so far are the lack of hotkeys, controlling the camera in the spaceship can sometimes be annoying in the middle of a dog fight, and that in the space stage, even though you can have allies, you're pretty much alone when it comes to defending your colonies. The turrets are pretty much worthless when it comes to actually killing things so I just have to fly from planet to planet protecting my colonies. And I also don't like that the computer can do things that I can't. How am I supposed to take over a planet with one spaceship? They get to attack me with a dozen. I do get the option to have my allies' spaceships fly with me, but so far I can only have two, and it seems silly that I can't just have some of my own ships come with me like the computer does.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Two years in the making and it crashes?
[edit]
My roommate just put the Discovery Channel on. They are showing a world 100 million years into the future using Spore creatures. Heh, too bad everyone knows evolution is a myth.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

People who were expecting hardcore gameplay would certainly be disappointed, since it's definitely a casual game.

On what grounds would someone think that Spore was intended for anything but the casual market? :)

Quote:

Hey, World of Warcraft still crashes on my computer ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Bob Keane said:

You're saying that on a programming forum!

edit

Bob Keane said:

My roommate just put the Discovery Channel on. They are showing a world 100 million years into the future using Spore creatures. Heh, too bad everyone knows evolution is a myth.

Apparently the 'evolution' in Spore was a myth. You get to design how your creature changes! Perhaps that's what you were talking about...

-----------

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

Apparently the 'evolution' in Spore was a myth. You get to design how your creature changes!

They made it pretty clear that's how it worked the whole time.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

They made it pretty clear that's how it worked the whole time.

At one point it was supposed to sortof automagically evolve your design as time goes on.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I just played through to the space age in one sitting, I found all the stages entertaining, but I am a casual gamer, so I am really the target audience.

It did feel like I was playing 'The Sims' with weird creatures, and most of the game play for the 1st half is just pushing the keys 1-4 that match the symbols they are displaying.

I am really interested in where the games missions are going to send me next. I am also interested to see what the hidden achievements are.

If you search for 'Timorg' in the friend finder, you should find me.
This is the creatures that own 'New Arden' :)
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596300

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I found a quote on Wikipedia which does a pretty good job summing up what many peoples reactions might be: "while Spore is an amazing product, it's just not quite an amazing game."

Not quite sure to what extent I agree with that yet. It's definitely a massive game and will require me to play it a bit more before I'm really able to judge it properly. Spores kind of like... the M Theory. Well... no, it actually isn't...

Oh, and also, I remember Will Wright saying that the first 4 stages were just one big tutorial which paves the way for the space stage, which is really the main game. But that's another problem for me. The stages should be more integrated. I think it would have been cooler if instead of being separate games, as you moved through the stages new gameplay would be added on to the old, rather than replacing it. I'd like to be able to get out of my space ship and run around! On the other hand, I can definitely see how doing that would be a very big design/technical challenge. Probably the reason they could get away with having so many freaking planets is because each planet doesn't have very much state.

[edit]
If Spore had the same modding capabilities as Oblivion it would be much better. For instance, why aren't there any penalties for dying? That alone would make the game a lot more fun. It would make each stage last longer, and I'd be forced to adapt and use strategy. As it is right now, you can just brute force your way through everything.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

No, no, no. Evolution itself is a myth. Sara Palin is quoted as saying recently:

Quote:

God made dinosaurs 4,000 years ago as ultimately flawed creatures, lizards of Satan really, so when they died and became petroleum products we, made in his perfect image, could use them in our pickup trucks, snow machines and fishing boats.

She is a Republican, and they are never wrong.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

She is a Republican, and they are never wrong

Except when they are. Which is most of the time ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Spore for the DS looks cute, and I think I will pick it up sometime. The download and play demo was pretty boring, but I saw a beta version at PAX, and it seems like it could be fun.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

God made dinosaurs 4,000 years ago as ultimately flawed creatures, lizards of Satan really, so when they died and became petroleum products we, made in his perfect image, could use them in our pickup trucks, snow machines and fishing boats.

That is the most intelligent thing I have ever heard. :o

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I'm playing Spore for three days now and I like it very much. It's not a very challenging game (on difficulty: Normal) and indeed the options for interaction with the world in the first four of five phases (cellular, creature, tribe, civilization, space) are not very many but the real fun part of the game is the process of creating your creatures, vehicles, buildings and the presentation of the game is done very well, graphics, animations, sounds, music all fit together nicely.

Timorg: I could not find you via the built-in "search buddy" function but from http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Timorg I could add you as a buddy.
I can be found as http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Baumvieh (two friends of mine who I know from RL also had trouble finding me in-game but from that page it worked).
You have to be logged in on that page with your Spore account or else you'll get a Page-Error.

Here are my creatures so far (Tallik, Hornokko, Apig):
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596320http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596319http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596318

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Mine is at http://www.spore.com/view/profile/MiquelFire

Real creative with my names, aren't I? ::)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Some of the most important reviews are found already around. The game is bashed because it is pretty limited once you recover from the shock of all the stuff you can create (gameplay wise is just a sim), and there is no online multiplaying (I think there is an offline multiplayer where you download the civilization from another player and play against it, but you may destroy everything and the other player does not even know you attacked him). I like the idea, but doubt many will understand the beauty of it.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

1   2   3 

Go to: