Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » WAR in Georgia

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
WAR in Georgia
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matthew Leverton said:

And setting oil fields on fire gives you a glorious flame, awe-inspiring colors, and a damn scary temperature.

That's different. :-[

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

That's different.

People who enjoy muscle cars == people who enjoy burning oilfields == waste of space. I see no difference.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Didn't you just say not to feed the... oh, never mind. It's Bamccaig, at least he argues with some reasoning. :-X

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Just saying "that's different!" qualifies as reasonable arguing?

I have to use that sometimes. ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Technically the muscle car still serves a practical purpose. It still gets you from point A to B. There are fundamental differences between owning, maintaining, and driving a muscle car; and burning an oil field. The only thing burning the oil field really accomplishes is consuming fuel and providing a spectacle. The heat isn't likely to be practical in any sense so it's mostly wasted (and I've never really seen anybody that enjoys a lot of heat; it's one of those things that is interesting to experience, but quickly becomes unbearable). All I'm really trying to get at is that one serves may practical purposes and the other is mostly wasteful. I made a weak argument (we've already had this argument in the past though) and Matthew Leverton called me on it. :)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Technically the muscle car still serves a practical purpose. It still gets you from point A to B.

Same applies to a car with 1.6 liter motor. Gets you from A to B in the same time as a muscle car if you drive by law plus it will cost you less. However I'm not arguing about using SUV for driving into a cabin in the mountains or hauling some cargo.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

However, if you're actually using the truck for something practical, like hauling a load or driving off-road, then they are absolutely practical and well worth the extra gas.

Sure. If you have a use for them, then by all means use them. Most people don't need them though.

Quote:

And I don't know if you intended to, but please don't imply that gas-guzzling muscle cars are money wasters...

If you don't need one and could use a more gas-efficient alternative, then you're wasting fuel and therefor money. Now, I don't have a problem with people wasting their own money if that's what they want to do (it's their money, afterall), but I really don't see the point in doing it (maybe I'm just stingy).
Wasting fuel is another matter, I do think that's somewhat irresponsible in this day and age.

Quote:

You get a glorious sound,

You mean, an aweful lot of horrible noise? ;)

Quote:

awe-inspiring acceleration, and a damn scary top speed.

Neither of which make that much sense if you're driving it around a city, or even on a highway with speed restrictions.

Quote:

These are all very cool things that are well worth the money to people that enjoy that sort of thing.

As I say, it's their money to waste.

Quote:

And it's a damn shame that Europe lacks a passion for this kind of car.

Nope, I think it's absolutely great that it does. Even without there's more than enough people driving them.

Now, I'd intended to make a statement about public transport being provided by private companies that need to pay for fuel just like anyone else, rather than state owned companies payed off fuel taxes, but I'm not sure whether I should?

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Putin appears the think that the USA instigated this war. Would this be a first? ::)

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Ron Paul would agree. Well, not maybe with the (ridiculous) details of the claim, but the idea itself.

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

"Again with the personal attacks. Well, as I said, I don't like you either."

Talking about the personal attacks. You use a very LIBERAL version of the word personal attack. I merely think you are ignorant in some topics. I do not like or hate you. I wonder how you jumped to the the conclusion that I did not like you. I suggest a good therapist or learn to not take things so personally. I have some very good friends that are ignorant on world matters just like you.

"Putin appears the think that the USA instigated this war [stuff.co.nz]. Would this be a first?"

This has been postulated on insane liberal blogs long before Putin said anything about it. Many bad countries around the world use liberal talking points.

When an oil well is put on fire I bet the fire starter did not actually own the oil well they set on fire. For the muscle car I bet they owned the car as well as the gas.

LennyLen are you a troll?

"Yeah, being billions in the red is great"

It is not a big problem when the GDP is in the trillions.

"gut feeling the people in England are poor" -Samuli
"taken out of context it's an awesome quote" - Jonatan Hedborg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The fact is, the guys (and even a few girls) that love this stuff have good reason to. It's something that we just feel deep inside when we hear American muscle or rice rockets. Your heart races and you can't fight the joy it gives you (nor would you want to).

The following videos are from a TV show I used to watch a few years ago (I think it's been canceled now, though there are similar shows still on, but I wish I had the time to watch and that the shows I used to love were still on). Watch them or don't. I don't really care. It's a little bit of education for those of you uneducated. If you don't care, then don't watch them.

Dodge Charger - American Muscle Car - part 1
Dodge Charger - American Muscle Car - part 2
Dodge Charger - American Muscle Car - part 3

Evert said:

Sure. If you have a use for them, then by all means use them. Most people don't need them though.

I agree 100%. Stock trucks are not inherently cool cars to drive around. They are practical work-horses. A lot of people drive them around because they're in fashion so to speak in North America and it pisses me off. Largely because the bitches (male and female) driving them daily can't drive them worth shit. The small grocery store nearby now has a diagonal parking lot, even though the concrete blocks are parallel to the parking lot, and everybody used to park perpendicular to them. The only reason for the change is large pickup trucks and stupid people driving them. Those are not car guys driving them. They are (ugh) normal people.

Evert said:

If you don't need one and could use a more gas-efficient alternative, then you're wasting fuel and therefor money. Now, I don't have a problem with people wasting their own money if that's what they want to do (it's their money, afterall), but I really don't see the point in doing it (maybe I'm just stingy).
Wasting fuel is another matter, I do think that's somewhat irresponsible in this day and age.

The thing is, car guys don't drive to get from point A to B. Of course, when we have somewhere to be we often drive, but we also drive for the pleasure in driving. We just enjoy muscle cars and the extra expenses that go along with them are welcomed (think of gamers with expensive gaming machines, etc.; it's the same idea).

I don't think it's irresponsible to burn the fuel. After all, you paid for it, do what you want with it. Mankind will make do with what we have and shortages in one fuel source will only increase demand for other fuel sources. We will get by. I must drive people crazy; they're complaining about gas prices and I'm revving my engine in a parking lot. :P

Evert said:

You mean, an aweful lot of horrible noise? ;)

Maybe it's an acquired taste, but car guys love the sounds. :) Maybe the sounds are horrible in Europe, but here in North America what we call muscle cars definitely sound awesome. :P

Evert said:

Neither of which make that much sense if you're driving it around a city, or even on a highway with speed restrictions.

It can still be fun, even if you have to be a little reserved about it. And showing off a little can be fun as well. Spread the joy. I love to see muscle cars get a little loud and loose now and then.

Evert said:

As I say, it's their money to waste.

You can't take it with you when you go. If you can afford to, and many people in North America can :P, and it brings you joy, then it makes sense to spend the money.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

LennyLen are you a troll?

Anyone can be, but you definitely are, all the time.

Quote:

I wonder how you jumped to the the conclusion that I did not like you.

It comes from the tactless and inconsiderate way you talk. I would have said "the way you try and prove your points", but you haven't once tried to actually prove any of your arguments ::)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

And though I can't find a good YouTube video for the original Dukes Of Hazzard show, here's a scene from the movie remake (which was a little different, but still awesome). 8-)

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

I guess it takes one to know one doesnt it.

"you haven't once tried to actually prove any of your arguments "

Your inability to connect the dots does not mean you have not had a million things proven to you. Keep chugging along you will catch on someday.

Russia now says it is absorbing those parts of Georgia into itself. When will they begin absorbing Thomas's country? Then I will ask him again if Russia is a nice country.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

The OSCE has put out a press release, according to Der Spiegel, that it is Georgia that should be blamed for the crisis in Caucasus.

Links:

http://www.osce.org/
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,575396,00.html
the above translated to English

Georgia attacked first.

Now can we please stop blaming Russia for the crisis?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Ummm, no one has said Russia attacked first.

The issue from my perspective is that Russia was there outside of any UN mandate and overstepped the bounds of its self proclaimed 'peace keeping' role and executed a wider war on Georgia. Russia violated the territorial sovereinity of Georgia and continues to do so in violation of the EU sponsored cease fire it signed with Georgia.

They are also the only country to recognize the breakaway regions. This is also a violation of Georgian sovereignty.

They try to justify their actions by citing US action in Iraq when the situations bare little resemblance. US had a UN mandate to rid Iraq of WMD's and acted with other nations. Russia acted alone with no mandate.

Russia justifies recognizing the breakaway provinces by citing Nato/EU granting independance to Kosovo, when again the situation bare little resemblance. Serbia was committing genocide in Kosovo. Russia is ethnically cleansing south Ossetia.

They have already forced all Georgians out of Ossetia and are not allowing them to return to their homes in S. Ossetia.

I've read that Russia justification gets wide coverage in European countries. I would hope that the people of Europe could see beyond their blind US hatred to recognize that the Russia's comparison of its actions with those of the US/UN/EU/Nato actions in Iraq and Kosovo is absurd.

Russia foreign policy is that of a petulant child, nothing more.

(but I'm sure I'll be disappointed, again.)

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

I know a woman. Using Frank's [kiddies playground] logic, I therefore am one. Instantomatic sex change, boys and girls.

Quote:

US had a UN mandate to rid Iraq of WMD's

Are you oblivious to previous posts, pointing out this claim is incorrect:

wikipedia:2003_invasion_of_Iraq said:

On March 18, 2003, the bombing of Iraq by the United States, the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Australia, and Denmark began, without UN support, unlike the first Gulf War or the invasion of Afghanistan.

--

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Hehe, liberal fascist. Good one.

Does intentional disregard of proper forum formatting warrant a ban? I think it does, but until then perhaps we all could "foster" Frank by not replying to anything he says? I know it is a bit callous, but he just doesn't seem to get it no matter how long he is "chugging along".

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Are you 12?

Quote:

Your inability to connect the dots does not mean you have not had a million things proven to you. Keep chugging along you will catch on someday.

I can only hope you are just a troll, and not this dumb :( I have hope for you young one.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

US had a UN mandate to rid Iraq of WMD's and acted with other nations.

They could have, oh wait they haven't like HardTranceFan pointed out, but the funny thing is that no WMD's were found in Iraq. So the situation is pretty the same. Oh and by the way a document stating that Iraq is harboring/financing Al-Qaeda was a forgery.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Oh and by the way a document stating that Iraq is harboring/financing Al-Qaeda was a forgery.

A rather obvious forgery as well. It also just "magically" fell into their laps at just the right moment with all of the info they needed to justify their actions, and then some. A very convenient forgery.

--

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

Ummm, no one has said Russia attacked first.

But all the western media blame Russia for the crisis. I read NY Times and Liberation articles almost daily, and their song is 'bad Russia, bad Russia'.

Quote:

The issue from my perspective is that Russia was there outside of any UN mandate and overstepped the bounds of its self proclaimed 'peace keeping' role and executed a wider war on Georgia. Russia violated the territorial sovereinity of Georgia and continues to do so in violation of the EU sponsored cease fire it signed with Georgia.

And the war on Yugoslavia and the recent war in Iraq were outside of any UN mandate. In fact, USA blames UN as 'corrupted' and wants UN to be dismantled.

Quote:

They are also the only country to recognize the breakaway regions. This is also a violation of Georgian sovereignty.

Recognizing Kossovo is also a violation of Serbia's sovereignty. Recognizing "Macedonia" is a violation of Greece's sovereignty. Recognizing North Cyprus is a violation of Cyprus sovereignty. And there are also other cases...

Which goes on to show the hypocrisy of the west.

Quote:

They try to justify their actions by citing US action in Iraq when the situations bare little resemblance. US had a UN mandate to rid Iraq of WMD's and acted with other nations. Russia acted alone with no mandate.

What other nations? it was US, England and Spain. No other country supported the war in Iraq.

Quote:

Russia justifies recognizing the breakaway provinces by citing Nato/EU granting independance to Kosovo, when again the situation bare little resemblance.

Stopping a genocide is very different from taking a piece of land from one's country.

Quote:

Serbia was committing genocide in Kosovo. Russia is ethnically cleansing south Ossetia.

Georgia attacked South Ossetia and also tried to commit genocide on South Ossetians. Russia prevented that.

Quote:

They have already forced all Georgians out of Ossetia and are not allowing them to return to their homes in S. Ossetia.

Ok, I am with you on this. Before letting Georgians return to their homes, why don't you tell Turkey to stop occupying Northen Cyprus? Cypriots want to go to their homes as well.

Quote:

I've read that Russia justification gets wide coverage in European countries. I would hope that the people of Europe could see beyond their blind US hatred to recognize that the Russia's comparison of its actions with those of the US/UN/EU/Nato actions in Iraq and Kosovo is absurd.

There is no 'blind US hatred'. I will state facts that I have stated again in the past:

1) US supported dictatorships around the world: Chile, Greece, etc.
2) US is not fair with its politics. It applies double standards all the time. It lets Israel get away with many atrocities in Palestine, yet it takes action on Kossovo and other places.
3) US recognized 'Macedonia', where no self-respected Historian around the world can attribute the culture of Macedonia to Bulgarians.
4) US lets Turkey get away with occupying Cyprus. It was an invasion...yet it's ok for the US.
5) US used drug money to fuel wars in South America.

There are many other facts like the above.

I am not saying that Russia is innocent or anything...Stalin was the world's worst criminal, far more than Hitler. But...you can't go around and play the world's Sheriff, not portrait yourself as a superhero that saves the world from problems. You are just supporting your own interests, and this has nothing to do with supporting good around the globe.

So, even if it is not fair, people around the globe are siding with Russia. Get your priorities straight, be honest and don't apply double standards, and then perhaps the world will have a different opinion for you.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Okay, it seems like most of you agree with axilmars position. Fine. Let Russia have S. Ossetia and Azbekia. I don't care. It's you're continent.

My question is this: what are your collective thoughts on extrapolating Russias actions into the future? Will Belaruss and Ukrain host Russian 'peace keepers' in the near future? Will Russia 'peace keep' all of Georgia?

Is this likely?

Will you support Russia then as you do today if it does happen?

Edit; and axilmar, that's quiet a laundry list of grievances you've got there, unfortuanately, I don't care. Why are you so hung up on ancient history?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Will Belarus and Ukraine host Russian 'peace keepers' in the near future? Will Russia 'peace keep' all of Georgia?

I'm not advocating Russia accepting independence of those territories. As for your question. I fear of them taking action in Ukraine or Belarus and USA should fear of that too. I doubt Russia will do that however if that would ever happen, it would have dangerous consequences. As far as Georgia comes I don't think they will "peace keep" them - anyway that would be too much.

You know the biggest problem is that Saakashvili got too confident and tried to mess with Russia. That's the core of a Caucasian crisis.

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

"ou know the biggest problem is that Saakashvili got too confident and tried to mess with Russia. "

I think Georgia messed with Georgia is more like it.

"1 US supported dictatorships around the world: Chile, Greece, etc."

It is an unfortunate reality of the world. It looks like everyone dealing with Russia may be doing just that as well.

"2) US is not fair with its politics. It applies double standards all the time. It lets Israel get away with many atrocities in Palestine, yet it takes action on Kossovo and other places."

Your very misguided on this one. I do not see Israel suicide bombing palestine people. Israel allows for peace and the rag heads break the peace by blowing up more people.

"3) US recognized 'Macedonia', where no self-respected Historian around the world can attribute the culture of Macedonia to Bulgarians."

Cultures and the name of a country to not have to match.

"4) US lets Turkey get away with occupying Cyprus. It was an invasion...yet it's ok for the US."

It seems like all of Europe let turkey get away with it. It does not get more in europes back yard than this.

"5) US used drug money to fuel wars in South America."

I think many people went to jail over that incident also.

"There is no 'blind US hatred'"

There is a blind hatred of those more successful and the most successful is the USA.

The positive actions of the USA far out weigh any of your perceived bad actions. Many of the positive actions most of the world are oblivious of. Patrolling the seas is in the USA's interest but a side effect is that shipping lanes are open for all nations. It would be easy enough for the usa to not allow competing nations goods to ship freely. We could have charged a tariff r something for free of hassle shipping. All these things are taken for granted. This proves that many of you are spoiled by the current world conditions and have no idea how bad the world would actually be without the USA. Lets all hope you guys can continue living in your dream world.

Like I have said before I would be more than happy if the USA left most of the world to the wolves in order for Europe and other namby pamby nations to appreaciate what the USA does again. Like most personal relationships, we get complacent and fail to see all the good our partner does. A good dose of tuff love would do so much good for another 30 or 40 years.

"Are you 12?"

takes one to know one right?

"Does intentional disregard of proper forum formatting warrant a ban?"

Just like a good liberal to change the subject when they are losing a debate. Does being annal warrant a forum ban? If so maybe Arvidsson should be banned.

"without UN support"

What does this mean exactly? Does it mean the USA enforced the toothless UN threats concerning IRAQ or does it mean the UN sent no troops for the Iraq invasion because they had not men available and were stretched too thin solving the problem in Darfur?

"I know a woman. Using Frank's [kiddies playground] logic, I therefore am one."

So HardTranceFan admits that he is a girl. That would explain some of his spinelessness. You can take care of that by getting a job or moving to a liberal country that covers such mental disorders.

Go to: