Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » WAR in Georgia

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
WAR in Georgia
Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

Lets see what the mighty EU does about this in their back yard?

I bet they will issue a stern warning and then call it the day.

Since the USA is busy it looks like it is up to Africa to solve this one.

"gut feeling the people in England are poor" -Samuli
"taken out of context it's an awesome quote" - Jonatan Hedborg

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Do you honestly think the US would risk any sort of physical confrontation with Russia even if we weren't in two other wars?

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Good opportunity to get Bush image up? Let's do it! ;D

Really, though, I am not into politics (at least, about old USSR states), but you cannot attack a country and expect all the hostilities to be held there. Georgia attacked an area, which Russia protects. Were they really expecting Russia to let them do it? Then, Russia attacks Georgia, and Georgia asks for a truce. I mean, what were they thinking? That US would attack Russia?

As I said, I have no idea about what happens there, so my assumptions could be wrong.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

What would you do? Invade Georgia?
Hey, you know, maybe we should invade Great-Britain as well and solve the issue of Northern Ireland for them. While we're at it, we can invade Spain as well an liberate the Basques. Oh, and lets not forget: we should invade Israel too because of all the trouble going on there. Yes, definitely good solutions all!
::)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Our little town of Loviisa (8000 inhabitants) is going to incorporate three of the neighbour municipalities after 18 months. But two villages in one of the municipalities would rather be incorporated with the town of Porvoo, a bigger town 45 km to the west from Loviisa. Please help us out, USA!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

I bet they will issue a stern warning and then call it the day.

Of course. What did you think? Here, countries concentrate their money on peoples well-being and other useful things. They don't like to spend money on wars that we do not need nor should be having. ::)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Nuke the Ruskies. :)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The problem there is going on since Dzhugashvili (Stalin) was at power. For the time being it is the area protected by Russia, so let them sort that out.

See the difference? Russia has borders with that area, it has been under their protection so they care. Iraq and Afghanistan were a sovereing states and yet still USA cared and made them under their protection...

EDIT:
Oh nice, now I read in news that G. W. Bush called for end of russian bombardment. Now that's interesting, when others called for stopping american invasion to sovereing states, they didn't listen. What mr. Bush expects now? That thing that is allowed for USA isn't allowed for others?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Which Georgia? ;)

I found that amusing too. Maybe Alabama will come help ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Oh nice, now I read in news that G. W. Bush called for end of russian bombardment. Now that's interesting, when others called for stopping american invasion to sovereing states, they didn't listen. What mr. Bush expects now? That thing that is allowed for USA isn't allowed for others?

People keep missing memos for some reason :o

The US isn't accountable to anyone, thus they can do whatever they want.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

So is Russian federation then, in my opinion.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Wait, what's the problem? The Russians are already dealing with this!

Quote:

Well, one can't help but wonder why anyone should listen to a country that only abides by international law and treaties as long as it serves their own interests. Out of fear for being nuked into submission?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Wait, what's the problem?

The problem isn't anywhere, I said that Russians do care. I was just amused by irony of american reaction.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Out of fear for being nuked into submission?

Or things like trade/economic sanctions, but that kind of tactic wont work for much longer, it already doesn't work on places like Iran. Just imagine, the US has already done a wringer on Canada, and we were its best friend and ally.

Apparently we can't subsidise, or even trade on an equal level with them without some sort of internation incedent ::) They however get to subsidze everything against thier own laws and NAFTA. Most Canadian's stopped carring about the US a while back. Now they are after OUR Norh West Passage, and OUR water. They could ask nicely, but I don't think the nesesary words are in thier vocabulary.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Lets see what the mighty EU does about this in their back yard?

Once again you demonstrate how little you know about the world.

The EU is primarily an economic union. It exists to create and perpetuate a common market. It has no capacity to legislate or act in military matters, no army and no ability to declare war.

The relevant organisation, i.e. the most local one with military powers is NATO.

So, yes, let's see what NATO does about this in their backyard.

EDIT: and to others, the USA is an active member of NATO, and the most powerful member, so it is entirely correct that they are taking a position on this matter.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well it is, but then again it sound really ironical that the USA is calling for end of hostilities.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

That's probably true. But I will say this in defence of the USA: they never just pitch up and roll into a country one day without warning. Even after September the 11th, there was a week or so before they identified Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda as the perpetrators, then a couple of weeks of international politics before they actually felt that invading Afghanistan was necessary. We all knew Iraq was coming at least a year before it did, and whether you believed the evidence or not, there was a genuine effort to get full UN backing and, though I hate to admit it, the invasion probably actually was legal under existing UN resolutions.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I will play devil's advocate now, but the tension in South Osetia has been growing up there for half a year. Russians have their peace units stationed there and if they were attacked, they have a right to protect them. Anyway I think they are the force there that can ensure peace.

Saakachvili isn't that stupid to go into open confrontation with Russia, it's a thing that cannot be won.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Saakachvili isn't that stupid to go into open confrontation with Russia, it's a thing that cannot be won.

Maybe he could get Frank to persuade the WTO to come and help out?

anonymous
Member #8025
November 2006

OICW said:

I will play devil's advocate now, but the tension in South Osetia has been growing up there for half a year. Russians have their peace units stationed there and if they were attacked, they have a right to protect them. Anyway I think they are the force there that can ensure peace.

I'm not all too familiar with the history of the conflict (it's lasted ever since the collapse of USSR and started probably earlier?) but it is the territory of Georgia, and having the army of a foreign country stationed within an independent country protecting/fighting for a separatist movement does not sound quite right (especially considering that Russia has attacked other undisputed parts of Georgia).

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well I'm not interested in that either. What I've heard/read is that Russia had peace units dislocated in South Osetia. Same kind of units like for example KFOR, they were attacked and now it seems Russia returns fire.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Doesn't seem like the Russians care as much about precision guided weapons as we do. Colateral damage isn't much of a concern for them it seems. We might blow up a school full of children, but at least it was the school we wanted to blow up and it was because we thought it was full of terrorist.... :-[

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

My question is: Does Georgia have nuclear capabilities? If so then NATO, Western Europe, US, Someone should step in and diffuse the situation.Other than that it is a local conflict and should be left to the combatants.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I'm not all too familiar with the history of the conflict (it's lasted ever since the collapse of USSR and started probably earlier?) but it is the territory of Georgia, and having the army of a foreign country stationed within an independent country protecting/fighting for a separatist movement does not sound quite right

The political situation in the province in question is somewhat complicated: they have their own government and are technically vassal states of Russia although they are geographically within Georgia. Both the local population and Russia claim that the region is Russian and most of the people living there are Russian.
The start of the present conflict seems to be Georgia sending in its army to quell the uprising (and to counter-attack for supposed Russian incursions) and Russia responding "to protect its citizens".

Quote:

Does Georgia have nuclear capabilities?

Georgia?
I'd be very surprised.

Go to: