Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » C++ interview preparation:

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
C++ interview preparation:
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Completely OT but people in the UK seem to choose words that are more bland/generic than their american counter-part.

british | american
queue   | line
mobile  | cell/cellphone
auto    | car
flat    | apartment

I'm sure there are others.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

AFAIK:

They don't call it Auto, but rather Automobile. They don't call cellphones Mobile either I think, but Mobile phones. A Flat is not an apartment but rather an apartment building.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

I thought a flat was just a loft.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Jonatan Hedborg said:

Actually, it's because you are a dirty cheeseburger-inhaling yank (no offense :D)

Technically, I'm a Canuck. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

They don't call it Auto, but rather Automobile. They don't call cellphones Mobile either I think, but Mobile phones. A Flat is not an apartment but rather an apartment building.

Totally wrong. A flat is a single appartment, Mobile is short for Mobile Tellephone (short forms are used much more often), same goes for Auto.

Quote:

Technically, I'm a Canuck. ;)

Not at heart :P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I got a call from the HR person and I passed the test, so now I'm going in for a face to face, haven't scheduled a time yet...

:)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Congratulations.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Yay for nonnus29 \o/

Congratulations.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

There is no competition for entry level positions. I'm sure you'll be accepted and quickly be moved up the ranks next to the few people who know what they are doing.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

beleave it or not, its all a trick they need you but in order command you properly they need to make you be leave that you where hand picked and lucky to be hired.

They do the same thing in the army.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Thanks guys!

:D

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

I'm sure there are others.

American / English:

Elevator / Lift
Pants / Trousers
Cigarette / Fag
Restroom / Loo
Trunk / Boot
Hood / Bonnet
Mom / Mum
Gas / Petrol
Flashlight / Torch
Soda / Pop

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Soda / Pop / Coke splits USA.

Soda: North East and California (and other small regions like Illinois/Missouri stateline)
Pop: Midwest
Coke: Crazy South

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Coke: Crazy South

And that can cause a lot of frustration when you can't have caffeine.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I was asking for Rolls in American and the girl though i was playing with her.
there was only one thing in the shop that looks like a roll and they happen to call it a biscet

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

bamccaig said:

I don't think English-as-a-first-language speakers would ever refer to a line up as a queue.

But you are from Onontario, not Queuebec.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matthew Leverton said:

And Canada. I've had this discussion on Counter-Strike: Source before. There were players from Canada and America and all 3 terms were used by players from both... :-/

Johan Halmén said:

But you are from Onontario, not Queuebec.

What does that have to do with it? ???
I see what you did there. :P Though technically Quebec is mostly French. ;)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Do I understand it like that if you order soda/pop/coke you get Coca-Cola? Or is it used for a generic drink with CO2?

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ok, thanks for explanation.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Cola never refers to a generic carbonated soft drink. Cola itself is a type of soft drink, being the dark coloured one (like pepsi and coke). However, many places (restaurants) serve only Pepsi or only Coke, so you don't really have a choice. Asking for cola will get you whichever the place happens to serve.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Cola never refers to a generic carbonated soft drink. Cola itself is a type of soft drink, being the dark coloured one (like pepsi and coke). However, many places (restaurants) serve only Pepsi or only Coke, so you don't really have a choice. Asking for cola will get you whichever the place happens to serve.

In some places cola is used to refer to any carbonated soft drink. Asking for cola from a restaurant will typically result in a prompt from the waiter to confirm that you're alright with either Pepsi or Coke, whichever they happen to serve.

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

I've never heard of anyone ordering their drink as 'cola', but if the waiter is asking if you're alright with pepsi/coke, they're prolly just making sure you actually want that drink. Believe it or not, there are people that like pepsi and not coke and vice versa.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We never call cars Autos, and very rarely automobiles.
We will say "I have my mobile with me" though instead of the longer "I have my mobile phone with me".

Do you use the expression "Text me" for use with a mobile phone? I know Americans don't text as much as Europeans.

Go to: