Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » C++ interview preparation:

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
C++ interview preparation:
Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

We say "txt me" instead. It's faster.

I know some people that text all the time, but I don't. I'd rather just speak to someone; it's what phones are for anyway.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Americans abbreviate everything in text messages. I was trying to be clever. :P

--

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Uh.. I said 'saying' not 'typing' or 'writing'

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

If you want someone to call you on the phone, would you say "Give me a ring", "Give me a bell", "Give me a buzz"? We do.. :)

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Quote:

If you want someone to call you on the phone

Give me a call..

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

The only one (I would guess) that anyone would understand as a phone call would be "give me a ring". We typically say "call me"/"give me a call".

I've never heard of "give me a bell", but people might say something like "give me a buzz" when they're talking about intercom systems. Like outside of apartment buildings sometimes have an intercom that can call each room and then each room can push a button to unlock the door to the building.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Believe it or not, there are people that like pepsi and not coke and vice versa.

I can't stand coke from a bottle/can, but from a fountain it's fine.

Anyway, around here, nobody calls it cola. You generally ask for a coke to get coke/pepsi.

Quote:

We will say "I have my mobile with me" though instead of the longer "I have my mobile phone with me".

Do you use the expression "Text me" for use with a mobile phone? I know Americans don't text as much as Europeans.

We (at least in the NY area) refer to them as cells or cell phones. And we say text me if we want someone to text us.

I tend to text more than talk, because I hate talking to people and its quicker just to type out what I want to say than to call them, etc.

Quote:

Americans abbreviate everything in text messages.

I nor most of the people I talk to do such a thing. It's prty rtrded tryn 2 undrstnd wht ppl r tryn 2 say lyke this bcuz they r 2 lzy 2 typ the extra 2 or 3 ltrs.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

I can't stand coke from a bottle/can, but from a fountain it's fine.

I definitely prefer Coke. I used to drink a lot of pop. I'll drink Pepsi too though.

BAF said:

Anyway, around here, nobody calls it cola. You generally ask for a coke to get coke/pepsi.

Same.

BAF said:

I nor most of the people I talk to do such a thing. It's prty rtrded tryn 2 undrstnd wht ppl r tryn 2 say lyke this bcuz they r 2 lzy 2 typ the extra 2 or 3 ltrs.

I agree. Even on a phone I try to use correct spelling and grammar though...

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

WTF!?! Coke?

Begone from my thread you off topic scalliwags! Where the hell is this ignore list?!?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Sorry, I asked one question and it all went rampant.

Back on topic, do you have any updates how your interview progresses? Have you been already there or is it any time soon?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

kazzmir said:

auto | car

In Britain, we usually say 'car'. I can't remember 'auto' being used, but here in NL, 'auto' is the Dutch word for 'car'.

Richard Phipps said:

Do you use the expression "Text me" for use with a mobile phone? I know Americans don't text as much as Europeans.

I don't know about the Americans, but in nearly every continental European country, they say "SMS". Even in Malta which has a large English-speaking population, the English say "I will SMS you" instead of "I will text you".

[edit:]Oh and nonnus29, congratulations.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

make sure you grow a neckbeard for the interview

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Actually, "text you" sounds somewhat like "sex you" (70's show), which is worse.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Andrei Ellman said:

I don't know about the Americans, but in nearly every continental European country, they say "SMS". Even in Malta which has a large English-speaking population, the English say "I will SMS you" instead of "I will text you".

Where's the logic in that? Saying "SMS" requires more syllables than "text" (3:1), which requires more time to say. ::)

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I just wish SMS was more reliable. If I had my way, there would never be a single dropped text message.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

SMS you? Sounds dirty..

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9906026-7.html
[edit]
That was a bit old news. He got sacked. The reason was that a newspaper published some of the messages he had sent and the public opinion simply was against him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

"I'll text you. Yeah, I 'll send a message. It's on your phone, look, it's called SMS. Here I'll show you. Press this button here, and see if that blank space has a picture of an envelope, it means there's a text waiting for you. Look, I'll send one now to test it"

clickety clickety click

"There you go, press this, that and that and there you are it says 'Test'"

"It went bloobitybloop, does that mean you sent it?"

"Yeah"

"So you'll bloobitybloop me later?"

"Yeah, I'll bloobitybloop you."

later....

"Ring Ring"

"Hello?"

"It went bloobitybloop"

"That's because I sent you the message"

"Yeah, I pressed the buttons like you told me, and the screen says 'Test'"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I just came back from the interview, thought I'd tell you guys about how it went.

First off, I get there and the people doing the interview are 15 minutes late so that was not encouraging. I ended up talking to three guys at once for an hour in a tiny conference room. One was a 'director' and the other two were 'architects'.

First they asked me about the code I wrote, pointed out a couple of errors and said overall it was pretty good. Then they asked me what I thought of the test and I said it was 'pretty easy'. In response to that one of the architects (the Fat Man) went into detail about one of my errors. No problem, I was sure I had missed some things I said. We went on with the questioning and the topic of the test came up again and I mentioned how I was expecting a recursion question saying that's why I thought the test was easy.

"Easy?" the Fat Man says. Then he launches into another spiel criticizing the code I wrote for another 5 minutes.

I finally interrupted him and said "Listen, when I said the test was easy I didn't mean to offend you, I apologize." Fat Man was a bit taken back by this and said, "Overall it was pretty good otherwise you wouldn't be here." Okay, fine.

Then the Director says "Usually people are sweating when we criticize their code but you're not, why is that?" And I said something about how I wrote it on paper in an hour whereas in the workplace I'd have the compiler and some unit test to catch the errors the Fat Man pointed out. He seemed happy with that. What I wanted to tell him was "yeah, you'd be amazed how well I did if you knew how little C++ I've written in the past 3 years." But I kept my mouth shut.

For the rest of the hour the Fat Man seemed pretty aggressive. At one point the Director said I was a strong candidate for the position. I didn't get nervous or stressed out, I was mostly joking and laughing with the other two. But the Fat Man pissed me off. The point of an interview isn't to impress the candidate with your knowledge, which is what the Fat Man was basically doing.

So we'll see what happens next. I'm not feeling too positive about the getting the job.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

I'm not feeling to positive about the getting the job.

It's "too". See how many mistakes you make? Shame on you for implying posting on this forum is easy, and so that all of us are incompetent fools incapable of phrasing a single sentence!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Anyway congratulations for making it so far.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Slartibartfast said:

It's "too". See how many mistakes you make? Shame on you for implying posting on this forum is easy, and so that all of us are incompetent fools incapable of phrasing a single sentence!

;D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

No kidding. I didn't realize if it was 'easy' I wouldn't have had any mistakes.

Go to: