Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » High quality keyboard

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
High quality keyboard
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I'll admit that mine is not easy to clean, but it has lasted 4 years so far (without so much as a faded key), and my wrists feel fine thank you very much :)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Aww. They create a Model M remake, and they keep the ridiculously tiny Enter key?

The real UK keyboards seem to have a proper sized enter key, see e.g. the pictures with this eBay listing. Though you pay for it with the usual UK-style tiny left shift.

As I have the tiny enter key, I think I must have an American Model M.

casey d
Member #4,901
August 2004

Quote:

I'm willing to pay up to £60

Yikes! My keyboard cost me about £350 and I wouldn't consider it high quality.

--
Nightsticks, water cannons, tear gas, padlocks, molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/594718
this one

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

Yikes! My keyboard cost me about £350 and I wouldn't consider it high quality.

I have three. 30e, 420e(used) and 990e. :)

You don't deserve my sig.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

I have found an important thing to consider when getting a keyboard:
Make sure it registers all keypresses. Most keyboards only allow about 3 at a time, if you're going to spend a lot of money, try to get one which will allow you to press all the keys at once and still have the software know about it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

James Stanley said:

Make sure it registers all keypresses. Most keyboards only allow about 3 at a time, if you're going to spend a lot of money, try to get one which will allow you to press all the keys at once and still have the software know about it.

Can you get those!? :o As it is, I find it impossible to crouch-walk-strafe in Counter-Strike because of my keyboard's limitations... If I can get one that will register all keypresses simultaneously that would be well worth it.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

I don't personally know of any, but I (or someone else, I don't remember) asked in another thread, and it became apparent that in the DOS days they were commonplace. I'd be surprised if no company still makes them like that.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

I've never seen those. And the original Doom faq and others mentioned the problem of limited keys down at once. The "best" keyboard I had could do 6 at once on the home row, but no more than 2 on any vertical row. Although I could crash a Commodore 64 by mashing both my hands flat on the keys...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I think a keyboard that can register a high number of simultaneous keypresses is what really should be marketed as a gamer's keyboard, not those keyboards with custom sets.
wanders off to check how many simultaneous keys my spare keyboard can handle
EDIT: Wow, it's actually a lot better than my main keyboard in that sense. (Of the keys that I like clicking together, the main one can accept 2-4 simultaneously [depending on combination], compared to 5-6 with the spare :o)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

My keyboard can't handle all four arrow keys on PS/2, however I have not found a limit to simultaneous keys with it hooked to a USB port.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

however I have not found a limit to simultaneous keys with it hooked to a USB port.

Really!?! Care to tell us the brand and model? :D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

My keyboard can't handle all four arrow keys on PS/2, however I have not found a limit to simultaneous keys with it hooked to a USB port.

Have you tested this with an application that indicates which keys are held down or is this just based on everyday usage? The main place I notice the limitation is games and it depends on the type of game; some games don't have a lot of simultaneous keypresses.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Well, about the extent of my testing was all four arrow keys when playing StepMania. I could fire up an Allegro example to check, if I had Allegro installed on here.

It's some Logitech Elite keyboard though. I like it, but its got a ton of useless keys. And when it's on PS/2, your F1-F12 keys default to something else, you must manually hit the function-lock key each time the KB is powered on. Doesn't seem to be an issue on USB though.

casey d
Member #4,901
August 2004

Quote:

I have three. 30e, 420e(used) and 990e. :)

Cool. Nice studio. :)

--
Nightsticks, water cannons, tear gas, padlocks, molotov cocktails and rocks behind every curtain

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I would bet the ZBoard that I have has no or very few key press limitations. Considering its a $100+ gamer keyboard.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Is the model M waterproof? That's pretty much the deciding factor when I buy a keyboard.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Keyboards do not like swimming, Mark ;-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

aj5555
Member #9,033
September 2007

Keyboards! pff! i use Allegro 5's mind control.. typing is so 2007.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Scotty (holding mouse like a microphone): "Hello, computer"
Office dweeb "Just type on the keyboard"
Scotty: "How quaint!"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Is transparent aluminum something you might be interested in?

As far as keyboards go, I want one with the F-keys and their normal F-key functions active by default, not all those special functions for email and all that other junk. Sometimes I get pain in my left hand when using my laptop. It would be nice if I could make it a little more comfortable to type on it.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Quote:

If you're willing to eBay for it (or order one from America, though I suspect that'd quickly cost more than £60), grab an IBM Model M [en.wikipedia.org]. They'll still be functional long after we're all gone.

Yuck! :P

Right now there is a pile of about 20 IBM Model M keyboards sitting under a "TAKE A FREE KEYBOARD!" sign in our CS department. I suppose I would consider taking one if they were black, but they just look so awful - I wouldn't be able to stand having one on my desk.

[edit] perhaps they aren't the famous model M, although they are IBM keyboards and they do look similar - I'll take a closer look tomorrow :)

1   2 

Go to: