Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Installing Guichan

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Installing Guichan
Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

How do I install Guichan on Windows? There are no instructions included for Windows, only Linux. I'm using MingW compiler.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

You can either compile your own libraries or simply include the source of Guichan to your project.

If you decide to compile your own libraries then you should be aware of that it seems as the configure scripts currently supplied with Guichan doesn't work well with MinGW. There is currently an issue about MinGW open you can look at: http://code.google.com/p/guichan/issues/detail?id=31

If you decide to add the source of Guichan to your project then you don't have to worry about making your own libraries and you just compile your application as you would with any application. If you use Guichan <= 0.7.1 however you need to make one minor change to a Guichan source file, everything regarding MinGW in platform.hpp needs to be removed as Guichan <= 0.7.1 always assume you use DLLs in Windows.

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Quote:

You can either compile your own libraries

How do I do that? Currently, I only know how to compile using the mingw32-make command. ::) I'm quite new here.

------------------
EDIT :
------------------

Okay, I'm guessing that I need MSYS here. So after googling for a quite a while, I found this article on installing MSYS.

Quote:

The total size of the installation of MSYS/MinGW is around 110 MB. Be sure to have enough space on your hard disk.
Install MSYS 1.0.10. I usually install it in d:\msys\1.0, but you can use any directory that you prefer.
Install MSYS DTK 1.0 in d:\msys\1.0.
Install MSYS Core 1.0.11. It is an archive. Untar it in d:\msys\1.0.
Install MinGW 5.1.3 in d:\msys\1.0\mingw. It is better to not install it in the same directory than MSYS, though there should be no problem since MSYS 1.0.11. In the installer, choose "Download and install", then "Candidate" (it will install gcc 3.4.5).

Now you should have a cyan "M" link on the Desktop. When you double-click on it, a terminal should be launched.

The autotools that are installed by MSYS DTK do not work well and can't build DLL. Newer versions of autoconf, automake and libtool are needed. Like all the programs that will be installed, you MUST NOT install them in /usr, nor in /mingw. Install them in /usr/local. The PATH already includes that directory.

We will install autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10 and libtool 1.5.24. They are sufficient and are working perfectly.
Open the MSYS terminal. You are in your HOME. create a 'tmp' subdir and download and untar in it autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10 and libtool 1.5.24.
Go to tmp/autoconf-2.61 and run ./configure, then make install. Go to tmp/automake-1.10 and run ./configure, then make install. Go to tmp/libtool-1.5.24 and run ./configure, then make install.

Now close the terminal and relaunch it.

Notice the bolded sentence? That's where I am stuck now. I ran ./configure and this is what I got :

$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Or do I totally don't need those 3 extra stuff?

-----------
EDIT[2]:
-----------

Okay I reinstalled everything and it detected gcc. ;D It looks like I didn't follow the steps correctly. Now that everything is fresh, I have to install all the libraries back. Questions :

1. After installing MSYS, does it means that I have to use it to install the libraries? I bet I can't use the plain command line anymore.

2. If so, how do I install them? Lets say for Allegro, do I do this ? :

Quote:

./configure
make
make install

Or something different?

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

In theory you should only have to call ./configure make and make install if you have all the dependency libraries installed (in your case I guess it's only Allegro). However, at the moment - as I pointed out - we have problems with using the configure scripts in a Windows environment as things need to be treated a little differently from a Unix environment.

The issue I linked to discusses these problems and have a solution for them: http://code.google.com/p/guichan/issues/detail?id=31

I wouldn't recommend going along the path of making your own libraries with MinGW at the moment if you don't have experience of making libraries. Building with MinGW doesn't work with the vanilla Guichan configure scripts and none of the developers use MinGW so we can't really help you with this one. It's up to the user who reported the issue to help out I'm afraid.

Quote:

1. After installing MSYS, does it means that I have to use it to install the libraries? I bet I can't use the plain command line anymore.

No, you can manually copy the libraries where you want them to be. But you can only use the same MinGW compiler as MSYS used when compiling the libraries (this is all due to binary incompatibility with C++ between different compilers).

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

This is more about MSYS :
I have MinGW installed at D:/mingw and MSYS at D:/msys/1.0. When I compiled Allegro, AllegroGL, ZLib and LibPNG, all the libraries were installed at D:/mingw. But when I compiled SDL, the libraries went to D:/msys/1.0/local. What's happening? Where are the libraries supposed to be actually? And how do I make Code::Blocks detect libraries and headers that were installed at D:/msys/1.0/local? All these stuff are really confusing me right now...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

And how do I make Code::Blocks detect libraries and headers that were installed at D:/msys/1.0/local?

Add 'd:\msys\1.0\local' to the search directories for your compiler.
{"name":"594654","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/16660cc6bff539886b4f7b3b7a7b6c59.png","w":651,"h":582,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/16660cc6bff539886b4f7b3b7a7b6c59"}594654

Go to: