Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [Rant]Kids these days are useless!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Rant]Kids these days are useless!
Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

All of these issues are irrelevant to a proper comparison. I will give one example of the irrelevance before moving on.

You're trying to shift the argument.

You said that there isn't "a single logical reason (short of the sexual appeal) to throw your money at an apple laptop."

You accept that:

Quote:

Some people prefer the workflow on a Mac.
Some people are more competent on a Mac.
Some people are happier on a Mac.
Some people are faster on a Mac.

So we can only conclude that you do not consider picking a laptop on which you prefer the workflow or are more competent or with which you are happier or on which you are faster to be "logical".

Since I do consider all of those to be logical reasons to pick a particular laptop, I doubt if we are going to come to any agreement.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

Electricity lines were filled with kite remains!

Do we want children grounding themselves to power lines? ???

ReyBrujo said:

My nephew at 4 has never seen a kite,...

Whose fault is that? >:(

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

Do we want children grounding themselves to power lines?

You have never played with a kite, am I right? :P

Quote:

Whose fault is that?

My sister's husband who bought a PS2 :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

You have never played with a kite, am I right? :P

Sure I have.

ReyBrujo said:

My sister's husband who bought a PS2 :P

If you're concerned about it why not buy him a kite and organize a day at the park...? ???

ReyBrujo
January 2001

If I were interested in teaching them things, I would have my own children :P I believe parents are the ones who decide how to educate their children. And even when I am playing soccer, he would come and ask when I am going to play Zelda again, so I am guessing he is not that interested in sports.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

If I were interested in teaching them things, I would have my own children :P I believe parents are the ones who decide how to educate their children.

I agree with you to a point. So it's his parents' fault. :P Still though, I don't see his parents caring if you teach him to fly a kite (so long as you avoid power lines ::)) and if you think it would do him good then it makes sense for you to do it.

ReyBrujo said:

And even when I am playing soccer, he would come and ask when I am going to play Zelda again, so I am guessing he is not that interested in sports.

Are you still talking about the 4 year old? A number of sports are difficult for children to play successfully. It makes complete sense that they would prefer playing a video game that they can master rather than struggling with a game designed for big kids.

However, you need to encourage them to play sports now so that when they do get big enough to play they want to (because the people they look up to have demonstrated how fun it can be).

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

It doesn't install them by default, but it pops up a dialog saying that here's a list of drivers (Intel video driver, and Broadcom wireless) that are necessary to install for full usage of your computer but that Ubuntu cannot provide support for them. A total of one dialog, which is far fewer than the amount it takes if you were to install a fresh copy of Windows on a Dell laptop!

Ah, I had to manually install the vmware kernel modules and such, and once I rebooted and it caught the loaded modules it thought something got hijacked or something. Had to go through 2 or 3 dialogs, but they haven't come back up since.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Although I don't have those problems (I am used to installing the NVidia drivers through command line), I noticed the dialog when a friend installed it at work. I thought it was pretty cool, because it hid a lot of stuff that is not necessary for the end user.

Quote:

However, you need to encourage them to play sports now so that when they do get big enough to play they want to (because the people they look up to have demonstrated how fun it can be).

Oh, I try. Soccer isn't that hard, just kick a ball. And not even a soccer one, just a balloon of any kind. The problem is, he is through his "dinosaur" phase, where he likes them, so we took him to the natural museum, and to different expositions. But since in games like Zelda you fight against big creatures, he wants to either see a living dinosaur, or the one in the game :P

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

Ah, I had to manually install the vmware kernel modules...

There are kernel modules for virtualization? :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

There are kernel modules for virtualization? :o

VMware implements its hypervisor via a kernel module that actually takes over and reboots the kernel ontop of it. Its an odd hack. Also, other parts provide virtualized hardware drivers, like special optimized virtual disk, network, and video drivers.

KVM on the other hand, uses linux itself as the hypervisor, and the kvm modules just provide hooks for qemu to properly hook into the kernel and the processor's hardware virt extensions.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Uhm, I'm talking about the kernel module drivers for vmware. As in, I was running it under VMWare, so it needed the drivers for full mouse/kb/clipboard/etc integration.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Just saying, Ubuntu picked KVM instead of Xen (which has been picked by RedHat and Suse). I have never been interested in them, but from what I read, KVM appears to be the less obtrusive one (in terms of kernel modifications needed to make it work) than Xen. Is it right?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quite. Xen provides support for hardware that doesn't support hardware virtualization. KVM depends on it, otherwise it defaults to Qemu's software emulation. But I've been looking at kvm recently, and I think I prefer it over Xen now. It sure is a heck of a lot simpler. You can even do realtime migration over ssh for peatsake.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

So, KVM is like KQemu, switching to Qemu mode if necessary. I have only used VMWare (and Virtual Box), but never full hardware virtualization (other than KQemu). Does it come with some kind of front-end, or it just provides the API needed by Qemu, VMWare, Virtual Box or similar to be used?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

KVM is an alternative to KQemu to be honest. But its a little more flexible, uses hardware virt extensions (and only hardware extensions, it won't run if you don't have any), and comes with more recent kernels. If you install a KVM package in a distro, it pulls in qemu. Any front ends that work with qemu work with kvm.

--

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

LennyLen said:

Kids these days are useless!

I agree! They always generalize from a sample size of one!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I agree! They always generalize from a sample size of one!

They also seem to fail to recognize that when someone goes to the effort of putting a [rant] tag in a thread title that it's to indicate that the post serves nothing more than to get something off one's chest and should not be taken entirely seriously.

Luckily, it appears that most people here seem to have realized that.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Luckily, it appears that most people here seem to have realized that.

And the others were discussing something completely different. Gee, this thread has been derailed on the first page.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Go to: