Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [Rant]Kids these days are useless!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Rant]Kids these days are useless!
amber
Member #6,783
January 2006

I think you've missed the bigger problem: Someone is wrong on the Internet!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

(4) wasn't too expensive.

Maybe in your country, but here the cheapest MacBook begins on 1000Euro, while my HP laptop was for 660Euro.

As for the OP - yes the kids today are quite useless, I in their age was curious about how things work and was experimenting. And definately this chain problem wouldn't stop me.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Quote:

A) Is this a problem? Elaborate, please.
B) "...that is all they ever do." Don't use absolutes. This is an indefensible generalization in two ways, namely: 1. that all kids are like this to any degree; and 2. that any kids are like this to a complete degree. It kills your credibility as a debater.

Well with regards to
1) Kids are getting fatter, lazier, more sheltered, and less rounded. The best way to grow up is to run around and play and explore.
2) ??? didn't realize i was debating.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

FrankyR
Member #243
April 2000

I think the message here is that the kid didn't know how to put the chain back on and now (hopefully) he does. He's now learned a valuable skill.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Notice that your parents' generation said there was a problem with your generation as well. Unfortunately, things change. I think kids today would have just as much fun outside as we did if we showed them how to (and they do, just not as often as we did -- I can remember a lot of afternoons though where I had nothing to do because I wasn't allowed to play video games and spent much of the day bored -- sometimes outside gets boring too)... Maybe the problem is that parents today expect these things to be instinctual when in reality they were taught to us by our parents (and older cousins, etc.).

Computers have a lot of offer so it only makes sense that children (and adults) would want to get as much of it as possible. That's not to say that there aren't benefits to physical activity as well. Balance is best, but that's never as easy as it sounds.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

There's no fun to be had in things that don't involve filth and lubricants.

Ahhh... So that's what women are good for.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

If a person makes a statement on a.cc, and anyone who doesn't completely agree reads it, then it will be a debate at best, and a flame war at worst. That's why I like it. ;D

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

That's complete crap alethiophile, and you can take your stupid brainf*ck sig with your anti MS avatar and just leave! We don't like your kind here!

Brainf*ck is for sissies, real hackers code in Malbolge:

.http://esolangs.org/wiki/Malbolge

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

If I thought you meant that, I'd flame you.

Any language whose code has to be generated by a program running in another language is all right by me. ;D

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm sorry, Whitespace rules all.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Whitespace is in fact a reasonable language, it just implements everything as combinations of space, tab, and \n. That is, it has just as many functions as C or Perl or any other language meant for actual work, it just calls these in a weird way. To really qualify, a language has to have very few, or very limited or annoying, instructions.

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I always had the worst luck with bicycles when I was younger. It was more because I was hard on them rather than bad luck I suppose... Twigs and sticks and vines were always getting jammed in the derailer messing up the gears and screwing up the brakes.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Now print off a whitespace program and try and figure it out ;)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yep, whitespace is tame.

This is insane:

.http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-malbolge-995.html

Edit: print this off an try to understand it :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Try to print perl off and understand it. :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Try to print perl off and understand it. :-/

When I didnt have a computer to use everyday, I'd code on paper, and then type it up later. I dunno, maybe I'm just a genius.

--

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

When I was young computers were expensive so I wrote programs on paper, and executed them on paper.

8-)

:P

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Gr4 said:

There are two types of Mac users ...

Around here it's more like a mini cult. They'll usually say, "I like it cause it's designed right and it just works." It's just a premise though, they can't tell you whats designed right or what works better.

The funny thing is something like 50% of their keyboards break. And don't even get me started on the ipods.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Coding on paper is for sissies, real hackers do it in their heads.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

I asked what the problem was, and he told me that his chain was broken, and he couldn't fix it.

Maybe he didn't have a laptop on him and so couldn't google the fix?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Assuming a bike with multiple sprockets for gears, put the fallen chain on top of the sprocket and spin the pedals forwards. If the chain has fallen off the rear sprockets, put it on the front sprocket first, then do the same for the rear but spin the pedals backwards. Works for single sprocket bikes too if the chain is worn enough.

Thanks.
I should mention, I'm quite sure that, had the need ever arisen and assuming I'd be able to open the case and get at the chain, I'd have been able to figure it out. :)

Quote:

Evert, 6 hours? Fuck me, my laptop gets 3 at best.

As I said, I didn't think it was that great, but it's the best I could get. Better than the new generation of Mac laptops anyway. It's probably less new though, I've had the machine (and more importantly, the battery) for almost two years.
Six hours includes power management actions like dimming the screen and shutting down Firefox.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Goalie Ca said:

Kids are getting fatter, lazier, more sheltered, and less rounded.

Less rounded and more round :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

As I said, I didn't think it was that great, but it's the best I could get. Better than the new generation of Mac laptops anyway. It's probably less new though, I've had the machine (and more importantly, the battery) for almost two years.
Six hours includes power management actions like dimming the screen and shutting down Firefox.

Yeah, I haven't fully tested just how long it'll last when running nothing but the desktop, on battery power. But I tested it a little.. the battery monitor itself estimates 3 hours max, at 500mhz, and doing absolutely nothing but updating the battery monitor ;) I think at full bore, I'd get 1 hour, maybe 1.5.

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Quote:

Type two: UNIX users. UNIX users purchase Apple hardware because it is fast, is Intel based, cost an eye,and is either portable or customizable when using tons of little proggy (iMac and Mac Mini excepted). They purchase Apple software because of it's UNIX base system and because it makes them shining in public, which makes it easily dual-boot-able after spending an hour of customization, and gives it powerful security while they don't know how to use it correctly and use root everwhere. Here are some examples:
- Hey, look! A hardware-supported OS that doesn't suck! Even if I can not play my games I am happy !
- It has a Perl interpreter built in! I'm in love!
- I have the feeling to suck Steve Jobs when buying and Apple ! Yay !

Fixed ;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Fixed

If by 'fixed' you mean "pumped full of straw man arguments" then I agree.

Go to: