Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [Rant]Kids these days are useless!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Rant]Kids these days are useless!
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

While just coming home, I noticed a kid with his bike standing on the sidewalk looking at it. He did this for the whole minute or so it took me to get to him, and when I did he asked me if I could help him.

I asked what the problem was, and he told me that his chain was broken, and he couldn't fix it. The chain wasn't broken, it had just come off, and it took me all of two seconds to get it back on again.

Don't they teach kids anything these days?!?! And even if they don't teach things like that, how hard is it to figure out for yourself how to put a bike chain back on?

Right... rant over.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

[rant]
How clueless can adults get? I was helping my mom with her computer the other day, and she said that she couldn't open a Word file on her Mac, but all I had to do was explicitly open TextEdit and use that! Sheesh!
[/rant]

;D

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Funny! ;D Well, the newer generations aren't getting any brighter. Look at it this way, he knows now. ;)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Not all kids are interested in mechanics.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

So he got you to fix the chain for nothing and get oil and dirt on your hands?

Smart kid!

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

There's no fun to be had in things that don't involve filth and lubricants.

You don't deserve my sig.

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

Sounds like he pulled one over one yea hehe.

My three year old is just stubborn some times and will sit there until you come help her. She also gets frustrated if she failed to fix it and will sit there and cry.

Maybe the kid tried and had trouble doing it and was just pissed at the time and you walked up at this point?

"gut feeling the people in England are poor" -Samuli
"taken out of context it's an awesome quote" - Jonatan Hedborg

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

So he got you to fix the chain for nothing and get oil and dirt on your hands?

He already had it all over his hands, shirt, and face (exactly what he had been doing, I don't know).

Since I rode a bike with no front derailleur for about two years, I used to have to replace my chain three or four times a day. I got oil on just the tips of my forefinger and thumb, which was gone after rubbing them on the grass (rather than my shirt and face).

The kid was damned polite though - "Please sir, can you help me?" and "Thank you so very much sir." So at least his parents have taught him something, just not elementary mechanics.

Quote:

Not all kids are interested in mechanics.

I'm not interested in mechanics either, nor have I ever been. That never stopped me figuring out how mechanical things worked though. Especially when faced with the other option of walking.

Quote:

How clueless can adults get? I was helping my mom with her computer the other day, and she said that she couldn't open a Word file on her Mac, but all I had to do was explicitly open TextEdit and use that! Sheesh!

She uses a Mac, she already fails. :P

Quote:

Maybe the kid tried and had trouble doing it and was just pissed at the time and you walked up at this point?

Actually, he sounded like he was on the verge of tears. Since it was 8.47 (the local school starts at 8.45), he was already late for school because of it.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

LennyLen said:

She uses a Mac, she already fails. :P

Everyone in this town uses a Mac. I'm seriously considering moving to a new one...

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Actually, I have no problems with Macs. I used to use the ones at the newspaper offices when I had DTP projects to do. Hassling Mac users is just so fun though. :D

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

There are two types of Mac users that some people cannot seem to distinguish:

GUI users are type number one. They look for a computer that does what they tell it to do, in an easy, user friendly manner. They never intend to actually create anything computer-related with it. Here are some examples:
- I like his one. It's pretty.
- Hey! This one works with my iPod!

Type two: UNIX users. UNIX users purchase Apple hardware because it is fast, is Intel based, and is either portable or customizable (iMac and Mac Mini excepted). They purchase Apple software because of it's UNIX base system, which makes it easily dual-boot-able, and gives it powerful security. Here are some examples:
- Hey, look! A hardware-supported OS that doesn't suck!
- It has a Perl interpreter built in! I'm in love!

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

There are two types of Mac users that some people cannot seem to distinguish:

Then there's the third type, which is what I was. QuarkXPress ran far better on Macs at the time (possibly it still does), so that was what I used them for.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Quark? You use a WYSIWYG environment? That puts you in the GUI users category. Write your own code, please.

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

Don't they teach kids anything these days?!?

Apparently they don't teach them not to talk to strangers anymore. Even worse, they don't teach them to not talk to grown-up men who are coming home from buying breakfast at 8:47 am. :-X

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Type 3: People who don't buy Mac hardware because it's f-expensive and then install Mac OS because it's pretty ;D

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

FrankyR
Member #243
April 2000

Gr4|\|f, as far as I know Quark is used a lot for professional design work like magazine layouts, etc. I'm not sure how you would go about writing that in code or why anyone would want to.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Quark? You use a WYSIWYG environment? That puts you in the GUI users category.

While the better WYSIWYG environment of the Mac was a boon (ca. 2001), the Windows version was such a memory hog that my PC at the time couldn't even run it without major slow downs.

Quote:

Write your own code, please.

Even if I'd had the ability (I'm only a hobby programmer), my time was taken up writing articles and doing the odd bit of graphic design for people.

Quote:

Even worse, they don't teach them to not talk to grown-up men who are coming home from work at 8:47 am.

Actually, I was coming home from buying breakfast. ;)

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

The problem with kids is that they don't get outside and run around anymore. They're very good with computers because that is all they ever do.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

UNIX users purchase Apple hardware because it is fast, is Intel based, and is either portable or customizable (iMac and Mac Mini excepted). They purchase Apple software because of it's UNIX base system, which makes it easily dual-boot-able, and gives it powerful security.

Funny. I got my Mac (which isn't Intel based) because I wanted a laptop that (1) I could hook up to a beamer and expect it to work without trouble (Windows was still quite bad at the time, Linux was worse. I'm sure both have improved since then), (2) was reasonably small and light for travelling, (3) had a decent battery life. I didn't really think 6 hours is that great, but it seemed to be the best I could get, and (4) wasn't too expensive.
Especially (2) and (4) are conflicting demands, but the iBook was the best overall compromise. The fact that it runs a UNIX system is just an added bonus that I'm very happy about.

As for dual booting, my PC can do that just fine.

As for kids on bikes, they need to learn to watch over their shoulder before pulling to the left. Really.
As an aside, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get my chain back in place if it came off, but then again, it's in a closed case that I can't open without equipment as well.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Quote:

The problem with kids is that they don't get outside and run around anymore. They're very good with computers because that is all they ever do.

A) Is this a problem? Elaborate, please.
B) "...that is all they ever do." Don't use absolutes. This is an indefensible generalization in two ways, namely: 1. that all kids are like this to any degree; and 2. that any kids are like this to a complete degree. It kills your credibility as a debater.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

As an aside, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get my chain back in place if it came off

Assuming a bike with multiple sprockets for gears, put the fallen chain on top of the sprocket and spin the pedals forwards. If the chain has fallen off the rear sprockets, put it on the front sprocket first, then do the same for the rear but spin the pedals backwards. Works for single sprocket bikes too if the chain is worn enough.

You don't deserve my sig.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Quote:

Actually, I was coming home from buying breakfast. ;)

Fixed by the Ministry Of Truth.:P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

A) Is this a problem? Elaborate, please.

Lack of physical exercise can have obvious detrimental effects on one's health. Physical exercise also helps get your brain going.

edit:

Quote:

Fixed by the Ministry Of Truth.

You're more right than you know. Truth be told, I was coming home from attempting to buy breakfast. Silly me walked down to the supermarket without my wallet.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert, 6 hours? Fuck me, my laptop gets 3 at best.

Quote:

B) "...that is all they ever do." Don't use absolutes. This is an indefensible generalization in two ways, namely: 1. that all kids are like this to any degree; and 2. that any kids are like this to a complete degree. It kills your credibility as a debater.

Since when was everything a debate? Yeesh.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: