Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Connecting Allegro to its compiler.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Connecting Allegro to its compiler.
prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

Simple enough, I haven't found the guides much use along the lines of what to do next, so I must know, just how do I reprogram Allegro using this program? None of the files are confirmed to be compatible.

Also, I'm supposing that to create a game USING Allegro settings, you place the custom DLL(s) in the Base folder and create the various CFG and other files around it, correct?

Economy: It's just an elaborate game. If you have the will, you can win, no matter who you are, unless you're terribly disabled.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

Simple enough, I haven't found the guides much use along the lines of what to do next,

The guides for what?

Quote:

so I must know, just how do I reprogram Allegro using this program?

What do you mean by reprogramming Allegro? Do you mean changing it's source code?
What program do you think you can use to reprogram Allegro?

Quote:

None of the files are confirmed to be compatible.

What files are supposed to be compatible with what exactly?

Quote:

Also, I'm supposing that to create a game USING Allegro settings, you place the custom DLL(s) in the Base folder and create the various CFG and other files around it, correct?

Allegro Configuration Routines Manual Entry?

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

My god... Well, you could look through my past entries, but I'm using MinGW with a shell IDE called Code::Blocks. By guides, I mean the various readme files, which walked me through most of installing MinGW, but now I need to know how to mess around with Allegro.

OR is there something I'm supposed to do to use Allegro directly? There ARE no .EXE files in the entire download.

Economy: It's just an elaborate game. If you have the will, you can win, no matter who you are, unless you're terribly disabled.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Theres two options, theres a mingw binary package somewhere, but if all you want to do is use the package you got, follow the instructions in doc/build/mingw32.txt

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

I already followed that crap. I don't remember seeing anything else there and besides, I don't like readmes, especially when I have to go to the website for information the readme SHOULD but does not have.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I already followed that crap.

Then you should know what to do next. Obviously. Its a very simple step by step list of instructions.

Quote:

I don't like readmes, especially when I have to go to the website for information the readme SHOULD but does not have.

You did read it right? Beginning to end? Followed all of the instructions properly? What parts don't you understand?

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

It didn't say anything about modding a %Path% variable. It didn't specify directly how to set up the variables for Windows XP and left the guess work to the user, though I figured out some of it.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

OR is there something I'm supposed to do to use Allegro directly? There ARE no .EXE files in the entire download.

Allegro isn't a program , it's a software library written in C that lets you create graphical programs. You need to compile the library yourself or download a precompiled dll. Have you compiled the library or downloaded it yet?

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

I have it downloaded. C only or is it C++ compatible? C can be just as effective as C++ I hope, since the book I have for C is signifficantly SMALLER than my Visual C++ book.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ah yes, since it didn't mention PATH in a section dedicated to your particular IDE, you decided to skip it right? Even though it may have pertinant information? Check the section on DevC++.

--

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

...It had nothing to do with the IDE, it was about installing the compiler. Besides, I have virtually no interest in reading pre-written readmes that might work or MIGHT just drive me to chasing my fluffy tail. (Fox reference, favorite animal)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

It didn't say anything about modding a %Path% variable.

That's because you need that so that MinGW works.

Under the section "Setting up MinGW to build Allegro"

allegro/docs/build/mingw32.txt said:

1. Make sure you have a working MinGW installation.

3. Set the environment variable MINGDIR to the compiler directory. If you
use Windows 9x, you can add the line

set MINGDIR=c:\MinGW

to your 'c:\autoexec.bat' file, assuming 'c:\MinGW' is the compiler
directory, and reboot. If you use Windows ME, you can run 'msconfig',
select the 'Environment' tab and then add MINGDIR. If you use
Windows NT/2k/XP, you can open the Control Panel, click the 'System'
applet, the 'Advanced' tab and finally the 'Environment' button, and
then add MINGDIR.

Quote:

I have it downloaded. C only or is it C++ compatible? C can be just as effective as C++ I hope, since the book I have for C is signifficantly SMALLER than my Visual C++ book.

C++ is a superset of C. Pretty much anything you can do in C you can do in C++. MinGW will let you compile C or C++ (mingw32-gcc.exe , mingw32-g++.exe).

Did you download just the source code for Allegro or did you download the precompiled .dll files?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

.It had nothing to do with the IDE, it was about installing the compiler.

Did you know that you need to have the compiler installed properly to use it with allegro? Most IDEs don't install the compiler properly, they don't expect you to need to use it from the console. Go figure.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

Sigged!;D

Use the SOURCE, Luke!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

That's a good one.

Almost as good as the guy who tried to run a .c file from the shell (see sig for Everts response).

prism-urase
Member #9,511
February 2008

OMG He DID XDD

Anyway... I think I'm gonna end up having to figure this crap out myself... that's gonna be way troublesome......

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Anyway... I think I'm gonna end up having to figure this crap out myself... that's gonna be way troublesome......

Yeah, learning how to use the tools of the trade is way troublesome, couldn't agree more.

--

Julian Guarin
Member #5,787
April 2005

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This thread is so much fun! Hillarious!

against what are you, hard to know it is,
but which side are you, yet harder.

"You've been neglecting my chickens again, Gwydion. Feed them, and quickly!."

Go to: