Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Mouse Mash] Game of the Year!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
[Mouse Mash] Game of the Year!
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Crashes for me too.
I ran it, and then it crashed. Then I ran it again and it ran in a window and crashed.
My log.txt and settings.txt and error.txt are all identical to Oscar's, except in my settings.txt guid=1782.

If I use just the first debug flag then it doesn't crash, but looks like the previously seen crap. (Ron's screenshot)

32bit XP SP2.
With a 7600GT.
That is perfectly capable of running OpenGL and DirectX programs and has close to the latest drivers.

There's also a bug where for some reason your game stores values in %APPDATA% :P (Honestly though, it's really annoying. Not that the target audience will care.)

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Her is all the gdb output from the commands you gave... There are no function names so I don't know if it will be usefull...

(gdb) run
Starting program: C:\Program Files\MouseMash/mousemash.exe

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
0x005a24fc in ?? ()
(gdb) thread 1
[Switching to thread 1 (thread 788.0xd98)]#0  0x005a24fc in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x005a24fc in ?? ()
#1  0x00432371 in ?? ()
#2  0x00433243 in ?? ()
#3  0x0041dd9f in ?? ()
#4  0x0047d829 in ?? ()
#5  0x0056d618 in ?? ()
(gdb) thread 2
[Switching to thread 2 (thread 788.0xa28)]#0  0x7c90eb94 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7c90eb94 in ?? ()
#1  0x7e4195f9 in ?? ()
#2  0x7e4196a8 in ?? ()
#3  0x00545400 in ?? ()
#4  0x7c80b683 in ?? ()
(gdb) thread 3
[Switching to thread 3 (thread 788.0xa24)]#0  0x7c90eb94 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7c90eb94 in ?? ()
#1  0x7e4195f9 in ?? ()
#2  0x72287404 in ?? ()
#3  0x7c80b683 in ?? ()

And the settings.txt file:

mute=0
sfxVolume=1
musicVolume=1
screenWidth=640
screenHeight=480
colorDepth=32
fullscreen=0
fpsDisplay=0
averageFps=1
particleEffects=1
debugFlag1=0
debugFlag2=0
debugFlag3=1
contentLogging=0
disableQuestionaire=1
disableUpdater=1
shouldCache=1
shouldCacheBigStuff=1
guid=14626
yieldCPU=1

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I played it and it works fine on Vista for me. It looks pretty good I think. Background music is agreeable. One thing I noticed in the demo is that when you start out , level 1-1 and 1-2 are playable. When 1-1 is beat , then 1-1 thru 1-3 are playable. Off by 1 error or designed that way? What are the local high scores for? Nothing showed up for me. Are there some kind of rewards later on for the stars that get collected?

On your website , the text (picture) line wrapping is screwed up. It detracts from the site somewhat. Is it possible to make a custom font and have a website use it without making the viewers install it?

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

You could do some crazy JavaScript thing to handle wrapping... not sure if it's worth it though.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Or just hard-code the column width (in pixels), since the only contents are images anyway.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I don't think that would work... each letter is its own separate image, so it just flows as one big list of images. Maybe you could avoid using JavaScript by wrapping each word in a div? I don't know... I'm sure there's a better solution.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice, simple, I love.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Quote:

each letter is its own separate image, so it just flows as one big list of images

Spaces are (image) character too :) Just need to add enough spaces to force a line break between words, instead of middle.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

Spaces are (image) character too :) Just need to add enough spaces to force a line break between words, instead of middle.

That's a stupid solution! I'm still right!!! :'(

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Gull said:

Nice, simple, I love.

Great :D.

I'm putting together a debugger build, so stick around if its crashing for you. :-X

More post...

Slartibartfast said:

There's also a bug where for some reason your game stores values in %APPDATA% :P

Where would you prefer the data stored? It's stored there for Vista compatibility. It's a pretty common approach (as you can see by all the program folders listed in %APPDATA%)

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Hey Dustin Dettmer... I'll be here for a while so if you've got the debug version I can run it through gdb with whatever commands... We can do a cross town debug session through allegro.cc ;)

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

Where would you prefer the data stored?

Wherever I installed the game. Maybe in its own directory if you really can't have it just laying around with the executable.
I don't want my games to start spawning files all over the different hard disks, just stay wherever I put you! :P

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I really like the GUI system. Just want to say that.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Wherever I installed the game. Maybe in its own directory if you really can't have it just laying around with the executable.

I'm with Dustin on this issue. As of Vista, you're not supposed to write anything to wherever it is your program is installed. That means the directory the game is in, or any subdirectories of there. So where would you have him create his directory? He does exactly what Microsoft tell him to and follows %APPDATA%. Windows keeps application settings per user, so the settings go on whichever drive you have your home directory.

If you don't like that then tell Microsoft. It's quite a bit less idiotic than the registry.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

The %APPDATA% helps keep the settings, savegames, etc. separate for each player. err, user.
Also, when you make backups, you know you don't have to backup the executables and static data, only whatever was placed in %APPDATA%.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

If you don't like that then tell Microsoft.

Aside from the fact I don't have Vista, I don't listen to any idiotic thing someone tells me, even if they are Microsoft.
You can use %installpath%/Saves/%username%/ if you really have to keep things user specific. (Though using profiles makes more sense to me.)

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

But then users would need admin privileges to save. Though some kind of option would be nice, since personally I also preffer to have savegames in the same folder as the game is installed.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

But then users would need admin privileges to save.

Really?
Oh well, that's their problem.
(Besides, I have yet to see a none-admin user on any home computer :P)

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Slartibartfast said:

Oh well, that's their problem.

Unfortunately those users could have ownership of a credit card.

Oscar said:

Though some kind of option would be nice

An interesting idea, I don't know where I would store the setting of where the settings were however!

In reality all the save data combined is <1KB, so hopefully it isn't the end of the world.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

Unfortunately those users could have ownership of a credit card.

If I bought a game and it wrote information to %appdata% I'd definitely be discouraged from buying more games for that developer/publisher.
Then again, I'm special; I refuse buy any EA game just because they have that unskipable EA logo movie at the start of each of their games :P

(Also, I have ownership of a credit card :))

As a side note, I don't think there will be many people playing games without admin privileges, because if you can't write to that folder to save then you also (presumably) can't install the game yourself, and I seriously doubt anyone will be arsed to get someone else, which will also be arsed to install the game for him.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

The installer should prompt you for admin privileges. My write operations do not and would simply fail.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

How about every "normal" user in Vista?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

How about every "normal" user in Vista?

Quote:

Quote:

The installer should prompt you for admin privileges. My write operations do not and would simply fail.

I liked the idea of having an option where to store settings.
Maybe in your case "if write fails then user is not admin" and then proceed knowing that he isn't an admin?

By the way, all of this discussion is probably irrelevant to you, since like I said very few people are going to give a damn, and of those I suspect most aren't potential customers, so you're better of not changing anything.

However, keeping things in the game's directory is still the most logical course of action. (And it's sad that Vista interferes with that.)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

However, keeping things in the game's directory is still the most logical course of action. (And it's sad that Vista interferes with that.)

It's not the most logical. User data should be stored in user specific folders.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

It's not the most logical. User data should be stored in user specific folders.

I have to disagree with you on this.
Game data should be stored in game specific folders where the game itself is installed.
Unless the files a program uses are integral to my operating system , I don't want them saving any files on my windows drive if it's separate , and certainly not in any windows folders either. It just bloats windows folders , increases defragmentation of my windows drive and just plain annoys me. If I install a game or program to a certain folder , that's where I want it's files to go , not in some windows folders. I don't mind as much if it is a frequently used program that actually needs to store data there so that old versions of the program and it's folder can be uninstalled , moved , and reinstalled yet still have the settings data available from the last installation when that is the user's preference.

Quote:

But then users would need admin privileges to save.

Seriously? If a non-administrator is running programs on Vista , those programs can't save to their own directories but they can save to %APPDATA%? I only have an admin account on my Vista OS so I wouldn't know about less-priveleged account permissions.

1   2   3 

Go to: