Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Star Trek XI teaser trailer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Star Trek XI teaser trailer
Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Looking into my chrystal ball, I predict the following...

The film will be mostlly based on drama. The bit about the inauguration of the Enterprise and Future-Spock coming from the future is just an attempt to inject some Sci-Fi and some good old fasioned Trek into the film. It will mostly explore how Kirk, Spock and McCoy got to know eachother, and how Kirk loses his virginity.

The film will be set at Starfleet academy. Kirk will be shy and lack the confidence and machismo we've come to expect of him. McCoy befriends him and becomes his mentor. He finds that Kirk is too shy to ask the girl of his dreams out. McCoy gives him encouragement but Kirk does not get very far. Meanwhile, McCoy falls in love with a visitor and has a one-night stand, but when the visitor leaves, he's heartbroken. Spock finds this fascinating, and in the process of finding out how McCoy feels, inadvertently hurts his feelings. By this time, Future-Spock arrives from the future. He convinces Kirk, Spock and McCoy that they have to learn to work together as the future depends on it. He mind-melds with Kirk. This has a profound effect on Kirk when he realises what Future-Spock knows about him. Kirk then 'gets the girl' setting a precedent for many more of his exploits.

Other things to look out for include:

• The only characters from other Startrek series making cameo appearances will be:

• Archer

• Dax

• We find out the reason why either the Suliban, Xindi, Denobulans or any of the other 'new' races from Enterprise weren't present in future eras of Star-Trek.

• Despite having different actors for the main characters, the film turns out to be a faithful depiction of what the Star-Trek universe and it's characters would have been like just before the original series. The nit-pickers that constantly whinge about inconsistencies will still find a few niggles, but even they will appreciate the enormous effort that went into making it as close to what the Star-Trek universe would have been like.

• [/list]

AE.

--
    Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

OICW
    Member #4,069
    November 2003

Anyway I think I'll give it a try. After a long time it looks like this new Star Trek won't have too much technobabble. And ST with less technobabble is good ST, because everytime I hear it I feel quite awkward.

{"name":"mff_life_38.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/966175eb828a8bd7e1541da0696103c1.jpg","w":700,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/966175eb828a8bd7e1541da0696103c1"}mff_life_38.jpg
    In movie (after five minutes): According to my calculations a time shift can occur when the wormhole passes through a neutron star.
    In reality (after whole life): Got it, but it works for spherically symetric wormhole and neutron star with zero mass.
    (A courtesy of Daniel Scheirich)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
    "Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
    "Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
    "You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
    Member #794
    November 2000

Quote:

The only characters from other Startrek series making cameo appearances will be

Gods, I hope not. There'll be a cameo of the guy playing Kirk in the New Voyages fan films though (linky)...

I'll judge when I see the film, but I'm carefully optimistic that it'll break away from the patterns that has pervaded the past few Star Trek series and movies.

ReyBrujo
    January 2001

I promised myself not to watch any new Star Trek movie/series until they make a new movie about TNG.

--
    RB
    光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
    Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

OICW
    Member #4,069
    November 2003

Quote:

I promised myself not to watch any new Star Trek movie/series until they make a new movie about TNG.

You mean with Enterprise NCC 17-01 D? I don't know how First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis are categorized. By the way two last weren't of much quality IMO. And there would be no Riker as he got his own command and if I'm not mistaken Diana went with him.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
    "Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
    "You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

ReyBrujo
    January 2001

Personally, and as I already said before, I think some two-hour episodes of TNG are much better than most of the movies released under the Star Trek brand.

--
    RB
    光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

axilmar
    Member #1,204
    April 2001

Star Trek can not be made justice in movie format. Movies are 2 hours maximum! you can't present as many details as required to make a Star Trek story work. Star Wars can be a movie, because it's different: SW is soap opera, and SW viewers do not care about the details so much as ST viewers.

I've said it many times and I will say it again: there needs to be a new Star Trek series, in the style of TNG. A series that is bright, celebratory, a series that gives inspiration and hope, a series that displays humanity's potential to the fullest.

I know that this is against current TV standards. But the audience will view whatever is thrown to them. A series that is dark, sinister and shows the bad side of humanity will initially cause curiosity...like the Big Brother or any other reality show. But, in the end, people would gain nothing from it, and I am certain that the ratings will not be as good as in the initial episodes.

On the other hand, a series that is bright, hopeful, celebratory etc (see above) will initially filter out all the viewers that are going to watch it only out of curiosity, but from then on it can only gain audience, not lose audience. The hardcore trekkers will be there, and as the quality of the show will grow, people will be attracted to it. Eventually, such a show will only rise to the top of ratings, just like TNG did.

gnolam
    Member #2,030
    March 2002

Quote:

I've said it many times and I will say it again: there needs to be a new Star Trek series, in the style of TNG. A series that is bright, celebratory, a series that gives inspiration and hope, a series that displays humanity's potential to the fullest.

It would be a short series then.

--
    Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Mark Oates
    Member #1,146
    March 2001

Quote:

A series that is bright, celebratory, a series that gives inspiration and hope, a series that displays humanity's potential to the fullest.

Just to help support your point, I found this video which has the last 10 seconds of each episode the first season, each episode ends with a happy, inspirational vibe. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvAEhiOsv0

--
    Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

ReyBrujo
    January 2001

Well, as far as I know every American series end with a happy, inspirational vibe.

--
    RB
    光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Andrei Ellman
    Member #3,434
    April 2003

axilmar said:

In other words, Gene Roddenbury needs to be brought back from the dead.

When TNG first started, it presented a very idealistic version of the future. Roddenbury died about halfway thru TNG. Then, along came DS9 ("To boldly stay where noone has stayed before") which had a somewhat darker side to it (all those Ferengi/Cardassian sub-plots and focus on other civilisations that did not share the Federation's ideals).

Meanwhile, along came Stargate that showed humanity with all it's rough edges. Everyone liked O'Neil's character and could more readily identify with it. The current producers became jealous and realised the only way to place Stargate-like humans into Startrek was to make a prequel - thus Enterprise was born. Captain Archer seems like a ripoff of O'Neil (I can just picture Archer praying on his hands and knees to a lifesized poster of O'Neil while shouting "Asses! Asses! Asses!").

Needless to say, I reckon the first Warp-drive to be invented in the real-world could be powered by attatching a solenoid-magnet to the spinning-corpse of Roddenbury to generate the required electricity.

AE.

--
    Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

nonnus29
    Member #2,606
    August 2002

Did anyone else ever notice in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of TNG (Far Point Station?) there's a male crewman walking around in a skirt?

Edit; here it is: look at the dude walking around the corner at :05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWdcFLLi4w

He's wearing some kind of girly boots too.... Come on Gene, what were you thinking?

StevenVI
    Member #562
    July 2000

Funny. I just started watching the series the other day and I actually did notice that. :P

I've been complaining to my friends a lot about how the first season really sucks. I had a dream the other night where I was explaining to Riker my theory that the show didn't get good until he grew a beard.

Archon
    Member #4,195
    January 2004

Quote:

I've been complaining to my friends a lot about how the first season really sucks. I had a dream the other night where I was explaining to Riker my theory that the show didn't get good until he grew a beard.

Perhaps you had actually sent that dream message back to the year 1988 and Frake complied! ;D

axilmar
    Member #1,204
    April 2001

Quote:

In other words, Gene Roddenbury needs to be brought back from the dead.

It's like your saying that nobody believes in the idealistic version of the future any more. I don't think so, many people want that. We all want a better tomorrow, don't we?

Quote:

When TNG first started, it presented a very idealistic version of the future. Roddenbury died about halfway thru TNG. Then, along came DS9 ("To boldly stay where noone has stayed before") which had a somewhat darker side to it (all those Ferengi/Cardassian sub-plots and focus on other civilisations that did not share the Federation's ideals).

Actually, the darker side was Berman's and Braga's idea of sci-fi. There is a line somewhere in DS9 against the idealistic vision of Rodenberry.

Idealistic does not mean perfect though. There were huge problems in Rodenberry's Star Trek universe, but the difference with B&B's universe is that people were trying not to be a$$holes.

Quote:

Meanwhile, along came Stargate that showed humanity with all it's rough edges. Everyone liked O'Neil's character and could more readily identify with it. The current producers became jealous and realised the only way to place Stargate-like humans into Startrek was to make a prequel - thus Enterprise was born.

I haven't watched Stargate, but if it is anything like the new BSG, then not everyone would like mr O-Neil. I would be excluded.

I don't understand why people need to identify with the characters of a show for it to be successful. Did anyone identify with Picard or Data? no. But TNG had the highest ratings. Does anybody identify with Bond? Superman? Batman? DC or Marvel superheros? Ten-Ten? Lucky Luke? Asterix? Indiana Jones? Luke Skywalker? The Terminator? John Rambo? Matlok? Bruce Lee? Kirk? Spock? nope. Nobody identifies with those characters...but they are highly successful.

The idea that a character should be life-like and have huge flaws in order to be 'realistic' is a product of reality television of the last decade. It will pass, and then we are going to see great works of art again.

nonnus29
    Member #2,606
    August 2002

Quote:

I haven't watched Stargate, but if it is anything like the new BSG

Stargate is NOTHING like BSG. The two couldn't be more different. O'neils character is just like McGuyver; he's a wise cracking smart @ss. Its great. Stargate never takes itself too seriously unlike BSG which is a bit oppressive at times, imo.

ReyBrujo
    January 2001

I think TNG succeeded in transmitting a concept. At all times you get the impression that they are really far away, alone, sharing travels with hostile races. Contrary to the original Star Trek, there is no "supreme being" like Spock. They can all fail. And the series focus in what Star Trek original concept: exploring.

Just like in The Lord of the Rings, they explored so deep that they awakened the indestructible being, their "Balrog", the Borgs, the kind of enemy the series needed. Leaving boy Crusher in a desert planet and fighting the borgs were the best part of the series ;)

--
    RB
    光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

StevenVI
    Member #562
    July 2000

Having not seen all the episodes of TNG, but being in the same room as them being played while in college ... so they truly kill off Wesley Crusher? That's excellent. Puts a smile on my face. I hate that kid.

...I should probably stop reading this thread though. I also haven't seen Nemesis yet. :P

ReyBrujo
    January 2001

Well, they always come back now and then, but at least he is not in every episode. And ironically, the day I started to like Tasha was the day she was "killed" :'(

--
    RB
    光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Mark Oates
    Member #1,146
    March 2001

Quote:

so they truly kill off Wesley Crusher? That's excellent. Puts a smile on my face. I hate that kid.

They didn't, unfortunately. He (would have) made a guest appearance in Nemesis, but it got left on the cutting room floor and never made the film. It's in the special features though.

--
    Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

OICW
    Member #4,069
    November 2003

Quote:

Stargate never takes itself too seriously

Ah, that's why I think it was ok until 3rd season. After that the quality started to go down, in my opinion. I would not say I have identified with O'Neil, I just liked his sarcasm and behaviour, but I definately haven't identified with any of the characters.

Same would apply for the new Battlestar Galactica. My favourite character is Adama sr. but I cannot identify with him, because I know I would not have his qualities. Though I like some of his views on the world.

Besides it's MacGyver.

Quote:

Well, they always come back now and then, but at least he is not in every episode. And ironically, the day I started to like Tasha was the day she was "killed" :'(

Me too actually. I just can't remember if that was in the first season. Damn I have urgent need to see whole series of TNG. I used to watch it as young (like 8~10 years ago) and I liked it, beacuse of that exploration. Even though I now like the new BSG, I think I'm gonna like watching TNG again because of exploration, although I'm not buying that technobabble. But on the other hand in english it would not be that awkward as in czech.

Evert
    Member #794
    November 2000

Quote:

And there would be no Riker as he got his own command

Who cares about Riker, as long as Picard is in there?

Quote:

Did anyone else ever notice in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of TNG (Far Point Station?) there's a male crewman walking around in a skirt?

Of course! Hard to miss, isn't it?

Quote:

I've been complaining to my friends a lot about how the first season really sucks.

The second series isn't much better (ever seen Shades of Grey?), though it does at least have some great episodes (Q Who? springs to mind, but there are more).
    To be honest, TNG's first two series were probably worse than Enterprise's first two series, and Enterprise was almost canceled then and there. Times change, I guess.

Quote:

Did anyone identify with Picard or Data?

Well... I think of both of them as believable characters and, in a way, suitable role models. One of the reasons I really like both of them (especially if they're in a scene together, like the one that was cut from Nemesis).

Quote:

Same would apply for the new Battlestar Galactica. My favourite character is Adama sr.

Easily. Adama is no Picard, but he's still great. I also like the character of screwed-up Baltar. Fortunately I cannot identify with him either!

Quote:

At all times you get the impression that they are really far away, alone, sharing travels with hostile races.

Yes, but at the same time conflicts are (almost) always resolved by establishing a dialog, finding a common ground. Contrast this with what has become the norm pretty much since Voyager and especially Enterprise, where conflicts are more often resolved through an action-packed fire fight. TNG is slower, more pensive and better for it.

Kitty Cat
    Member #2,815
    October 2002

Quote:

Ah, that's why I think it was ok until 3rd season. After that the quality started to go down, in my opinion.

Seasons 4 and 5 are generally considered the best, I think. Though personally I enjoyed it right up to the end (and will be sure to get the two movies).

I also enjoy Atlantis, as it seemed to catch the same spark the original did, without resorting to being a carbon copy of it. The quality's dropped off drasticly since the end of the third season though, when the budgets were cut and all the good writers left. There's still a few good episodes though, however scant they may be.

--
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

OICW
    Member #4,069
    November 2003

Quote:

Easily. Adama is no Picard, but he's still great. I also like the character of screwed-up Baltar. Fortunately I cannot identify with him either!

Yes, the two are different. But both have some distinguished moral standards. As far as Baltar goes, I hated him in the first season, but now I like him, but then again cannot identify with him too.

Thomas Fjellstrom
    Member #476
    June 2000

Quote:

Seasons 4 and 5 are generally considered the best, I think. Though personally I enjoyed it right up to the end (and will be sure to get the two movies).

I originally stoped watching (due to a time schedule switch or something) around season 4 or 5. But the quality did start hitting the floor after 5 or 6, and didn't pick up again till 9 or 10. Then again, I still liked all of them after I picked it up again and watched all the seasons I missed.

--
    Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
    "If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
    "The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2   3   4 

Go to: