This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Star Trek XI teaser trailer
axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Here:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/18/review-star-trek-teaser-trailer/

Personally, I can't wait long enough for the new Star Trek...although I know it will bring much controversy and Star Trek hardcore fans will pick it apart in every way possible...

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I'm already pissed off about the story. Who wants to see young Spock and Kirk? Didn't they learn from the debacle "Enterprise" that no one cares about Star Trek pre-history?

But then on the other hand if the story goes forward any appreciable amount there's been so much tampering with time travel that the future is polluted too.

What they need to do is reset the Star Trek universe; make a re-imagining like BSG and Batman Begins. Or retcon the whole thing and we find out that Kirk and Spock were actually gay lovers.

Or, just have a glass of Tranja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvpDT_zs4Js

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

I'm already pissed off about the story. Who wants to see young Spock and Kirk?

Me.

Quote:

Didn't they learn from the debacle "Enterprise" that no one cares about Star Trek pre-history?

"Enterprise" was one of the best Star Trek series in terms of story and production quality. Granted, the theme song made me want to vomit and it took almost 2 seasons before I stopped expecting Scott Bacula to quantum leap off the bridge, but once I got over those two things I have to admit I enjoyed it alot!

Quote:

What they need to do is reset the Star Trek universe; make a re-imagining like BSG and Batman Begins.

Based on the trailer, it looks like that's exactly what they're doing! ;)

Anyway, Star Trek is badass. bottom line. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. Between this and the new Street Fighters I can't contain myself!! :o

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I hope the new Star Trek is not too shallow, too superficial. One thing that always excited me about Trek is the philosophical topics it explored.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Its gonna suck. I can feel it. I mean, nothing new cant suck. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Quote:

Didn't they learn from the debacle "Enterprise" that no one cares about Star Trek pre-history?

I thought during the last season they finally figure it out. Then they cancelled it. It gave me a sort of Trek blue balls!

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Yea, that last season was the best of any season of any Star Trek, imo, but oddly it had the worst ratings. :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

"Enterprise" was one of the best Star Trek series in terms of story and production quality.

I wouldn't call it the best, but I certainly didn't hate it. But that damn theme song is still stuck in my head.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

In my head it's sung by the guy from south park, like in the sad version of the team America theme. :P

--

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

Yea, that last season was the best of any season of any Star Trek, imo, but oddly it had the worst ratings. :-/

Maybe because you are WRONG and it was the worst season EVAR!!!11

The whole 'Evil Scott Bacula' story arc was just... Blah.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

WTF is pre-history anyway? Like, the stuff that came before history? O_o

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Guys, come on. Pre-history refers to any time in the story that takes place BEFORE the original Star Trek series. Except Star Trek: First Contact, that was the greatest Star Trek movie EVAR!!!11

:P

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Sadly enough the Insurgency and Nemesis sucked the balls of a dead dog. :-/

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

They probably figured, with the popularity of New Voyages, that young(er) Kirk & Spock is exactly what everyone wants to see.
Personally I'm neutral on the issue as long as the story is good - which I'm somewhat sceptical about (if it's really Romulans go back in time to kill young Kirk, old Nimoy Spock follows them?), but we'll see.
That trailer sucked, by the way.

Quote:

What they need to do is reset the Star Trek universe; make a re-imagining like BSG and Batman Begins.

Not sure about the "re-imagining" bit... it works well for the two examples you mention, but I'm not sure going back to the premise and tossing out the past 40 years of Star Trek and start from scratch will work well. In a way I suppose I'd consider TNG as a sortof re-imagined Star Trek and I think they did it properly then. On the other hand, if it's Star Trek without some of the goofy dated 60's special effects and look-and-feel, I'll be fine with it. We'll see.

As for Enterprise (I liked it ok enough), there's some very good episodes but many more where I just thought "meh, done better in <some TNG/Voyager/DS9 episode>". Series 1 was ok-ish, but the Temporal Cold War was a bad idea that should have been dropped on the cutting room floor or at the end of the pilot at worst. Series 2 didn't really go anywhere and every other episode seems to be "Archer gets captured by some aliens who beat the crap out of him, then the Enterprise comes in and rescues him in a big firefight".
One episode that struck me was the Cogenitor episode. I was completely expecting the aliens to go OMFG YOU BASTARDS YOU! DIE! DIE! DIE! ZAP-ZAP-KABLOINGK!. Instead, they expressed their sadness and... left. Now, in an TNG episode, that's what I'd have expected to happen and I was a bit startled: at what point did Star Trek go from the one being the norm to the other being the norm? Or am I just nostalgic?
Series 3, well, the less said the better. Might have been ok SF, but it was horrible Star Trek. BSG does the same thing much better. Series 4 was a step in the right direction but it was too little too late, too many people had decided the series sucked and stopped watching.

EDIT:

Quote:

Sadly enough the Insurgency and Nemesis sucked the balls of a dead dog. :-/

Actually, there was a lot about Insurrection that I liked more than First Contact, maybe because all I really wanted was more TNG episodes. Sadly, it did nothing to rectify my main gripe about First Contact, which was the new Enterprise. I couldn't care less about Kirk dieing at the end of Generations, but the destruction of the Enterprise made me really sad (more so because there was no plot reason to do it, unlike in Search for Spock).
Nemesis would have been a hell of a lot better if they'd kept in some of the deleted scenes and stuck with some of the original plans where they showed Shinzon earlier in the movie. Everyone already knew from reviews that he was supposed to be a Picard clone anyway.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Oh it was called Insurrection. Well I liked the premise, but the ending was, was ... I'd better be quiet. As far as Nemesis goes it would be quite good SF, but it was not good 'ol Star Trek - which I don't mind anyway. It was rather full of action, which is what you don't expect from Star Trek, since their ships are not meant to fight.

When I was younger I loved that show. I loved all those gadgets they have and all those particles of the week. I haven't mind beam weapons and transporters. But now I don't know - maybe I'm spoiled by Homeworld and new BSG series, or just by some knowledge of the physics. I just don't have that good feeling when I watch Star Trek anymore - not when I see space battles especially.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Picard is still the best captain (and actor), so it's a pity the films weren't better.

I'd like to see some of the best TNG episodes redone with modern CGI for the exterior ship fights and planets. If done subtly I think that would look cool. :)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

As far as Nemesis goes it would be quite good SF, but it was not good 'ol Star Trek

As I said, it would have been better if they'd kept the deleted scenes in.

Quote:

maybe I'm spoiled by Homeworld and new BSG series, or just by some knowledge of the physics. I just don't have that good feeling when I watch Star Trek anymore - not when I see space battles especially.

Well, the wonky physics, to me, is part of the "suspension of disbelief". Space battles are not Star Trek's strength, though the battles in Search for Spock and Voyage Home were pretty good. Then again, they weren't the Voyager-style "fire phasers"/"shields at x%!"/random explosion with lots of sparks and debris/"shields at <x%!"/more phasers variety.
The most effective major battle was probably the Wolf 359 one from Best of Both Worlds - which wasn't shown except through intership viewscreen communication and all the more effective for it.
I quite like BSG too (that is, the new BSG), but for different reasons than I like Star Trek.

@Phipps: nothing to add! :D

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

One episode that struck me was the Cogenitor episode. I was completely expecting the aliens to go OMFG YOU BASTARDS YOU! DIE! DIE! DIE! ZAP-ZAP-KABLOINGK!. Instead, they expressed their sadness and... left.

For me, "Cogenitor" was the best episode of Enterprise and one of the best episodes in Star Trek. My 2nd favorite episode from Enterprise was "Dead Stop". Enterprise Season 2 was quite a good season for Star Trek...it reminded me a lot of TNG. The moment I heard Archer say "we've been recalled", I said "oh my god, they are going to ruin this"... and they did.

Generally, I am opposed into turning Star Trek into a space opera. There are other series more suitable for that. Star Trek is more about exploring the unknown and making a philosophical debate on human nature on top of the things that are found out during exploration. That's the reason I dislike DS9, although I recognize people might find it more down-to-Earth than the other series.

My worry for this movie is that it's going to be average, deadlocking Paramount/CBS into a loop: do we let ST go or we invest in it further? if the new movie is a total success, we are going to see ST resurrected...if it is a total flop, someone might rescue ST by buying the rights off Paramount/CBS really cheap. But if it is average, then the execs at Paramount/CBS will not know what to do with it, and that it's gonna be a big problem.

Star Trek must go on, because it's the only series that puts the topic "space, the final frontier" on the table. The rest, with a few notable exceptions, of the televised so-called "sci-fi" is nothing but a soap opera in space.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

axilmar said:

Star Trek is more about exploring the unknown and making a philosophical debate on human nature on top of the things that are found out during exploration.

Oh? I could have sworn it was all about funny foreheads and technobabble, with some occasional awkward, hackneyed social commentary tacked on once in a while out of some sense of obligation. ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

For me, "Cogenitor" was the best episode of Enterprise and one of the best episodes in Star Trek.

In case it wasn't clear from my previous post, I agree!

Quote:

Enterprise Season 2 was quite a good season for Star Trek...

Hmm... not sure I agree there... at least I don't remember it as being quite good. Let's see,

• Shockwave Part 2 - Lots of Temporal Cold War crap and utterly predictable.

• Carbon Creek - Ok. Not great, but ok.

• Minefield - Quite good! Spoiled a bit by the anti-cloak technology that they conveniently have available, good otherwise.

• Dead Stop - Again pretty good, though the plot feels a bit recycled.

• A Night in Sickbay - I actually enjoyed this one the first time I watched it despite the forced Archer/T'Pol sexual innuendo.

• Marauders - Dull.

• The Seventh - Dull.

• The Communicator - Hmm... somewhat interesting, feels like a mix of some TOS stories and First Contact from TNG (the episode, not the movie), which was quite a bit better. Also suffers for being one of the "Archer gets captured and beated the crap beaten out of him by aliens" episodes.

• Singularity - We've done the "crew becomes erratic and the ship is about to be destroyed" a few times already. Enjoyable, but nothing new.

• Vanishing Point - Like it, nice take!

• Precious Cargo - "The Perfect Mate" or "Elaan of Troyus", only worse.

• The Catwalk - Not too bad, but I had the strong feeling that I'd seen this episode before on Voyager...

• Dawn - Darmok, except a thousand times worse (Darmok is one of my all-time favorite episodes).

• Stigma - Ok I guess, a bit forced.

• Cease Fire - I actually liked this one a lot, mainly because I liked the Vulcan/Andorian conflict in Enterprise.

• Future Tense - TARDIS anyone? Anyway, more Temporal Cold War crap and too little explanation in the end. I have a feeling they were planning to use this to set up something else but never got round to it.

• Canamar - Archer&the aliens again. Yawn.

• The Crossing - Reminded me a bit of Power Play, which I thought was better.

• Judgement - an homage to Star Trek VI. Too bad I only managed to be annoyed at it.

• Horizon - Nice for being one of the few Mayweather stories

• The Breach - Ok.

• Cogenitor - Superb, mainly because it breaks away from so many of the things I'd come to expect from Enterprise (ie, aliens opening fire as soon as you step on their toes). Felt like a TNG episode.

• Regeneration - hard not to like, but if you've never seen Star Trek before it'll be impossible to understand. Unless you're willing to accept it as a prequel of things to come later.

• First Flight - Nice, but I didn't buy Bakula's performance as the younger Archer, which weakened the episode quite a bit.

• Bounty - urgh. Archer & the alien again.

• The Expanse - triple uber-urgh.

So I guess it's really a bout 50/50 for me. If I pick and choose the episodes I like it's a good series. ;)

Quote:

it's the only series that puts the topic "space, the final frontier" on the table

I was so pissed off that they didn't put that in the Enterprise opening. On the other hand, they had a promo of Bakula doing the lines and considering his abysmal reading it's probably good they didn't.

(edited: corrected one episode title)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

A Night in Sickbay - I actually enjoyed this one the first time I watched it despite the forced Archer/T'Pol sexual innuendo.

The writers mentioned that in the special features. They said it upset some viewers by compromising the integrity of the Captain Archer character.

meh, I thought it was funny. Dr. Phlox was my favorite doc. Dr. Crusher was always a whiny, which explains her kid.

--

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

Oh? I could have sworn it was all about funny foreheads and technobabble, with some occasional awkward, hackneyed social commentary tacked on once in a while out of some sense of obligation.

Even like that, it was head & shoulders above anything else.

Quote:

I was so pissed off that they didn't put that in the Enterprise opening. On the other hand, they had a promo of Bakula doing the lines and considering his abysmal reading it's probably good they didn't.

I agree. Since "Enterprise" was supposed to be the first trips of mankind outside the solar system, the moto "space, is the final frontier" should have been in the opening.

But the whole show did not have any focus. The producers tried to dump Star Trek down...that's why you get a soft rock ballad for the opening theme.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Man, I'm not such a fan that I can list the episodes like that!!

Can someone explain the plot to the Cogenitor episode? I'm not sure if I have seen it..

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

Man, I'm not such a fan that I can list the episodes like that!!

About a week ago I just finished watching all of the episodes of Voyager. 8-) A thoroughly enjoyable experience, although I still think Janeway has a man voice.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I'm not such a fan that I can list the episodes like that!!

You've heard of episode lists, I presume? ;)

Quote:

Can someone explain the plot to the Cogenitor episode? I'm not sure if I have seen it..

Not great, but one of the first google hits anyway: http://www.treknation.com/reviews/enterprise/cogenitor.shtml

1   2   3   4 

Go to: