Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » paintown 3.0 rc1

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
paintown 3.0 rc1
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I am in the final stages of releasing paintown 3.0 and would like to demo a release candidate.
{"name":"scr3.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/23dc60b2cfb72e47edbed2285625a3c8.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/23dc60b2cfb72e47edbed2285625a3c8"}scr3.png
Download: http://www.cs.utah.edu/~rafkind/tmp/paintown-win32-2.9.exe

You can get the source from svn and compile it if you want. See this page: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/#source

Changes in this version

• networking - theoretically the server supports infinite clients, but I haven't tried much past 2

• adventure mode with npc - the computer can play along side you

• throwing/grabbing

• more characters - venom, kagetsura, new goku model

• various other bug fixes

• two new levels

• blood and guts

I know the game has bugs in it, I've seen it crash. I don't know if I will ever find them, but I'm hoping they are rare enough that most people won't notice. Most bugs seem to be in the network code anyway.

Hate/love welcome!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

ooh! ooh! ooh!
downloading now ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Game of the year of 2008!

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I get an error "not a valid application"

It worked, it was a bad download, now installing!

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice game, but I got a few things to say:

• The menu is faaar way too long to appear, as every text before a level. I think you should reduce a little the delay between two character display.

• The help about keys is toooo fast to disappear when the level starts (yeah, I have read the readme, but heh, not anyone is going to do so ! )

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I really like this game. The NPC option is really fun and the little screen system improves the limitations of the old-school beat'em ups, how did you come with that idea?

The AI of the enemies needs work in my opinion.

Are you using anti-aliased fonts in plain Allegro? can you explain how?

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

aj5555
Member #9,033
September 2007

awesome!

have you looked into using that double scaling algorymths as the whole window was too small on my 1600x1200 monitor.

also, why is there an terminal window still open ?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

No, there isn't.

:-X

Yes, there is !

EDIT: It is a Release Candidate version, so I think that is the debugging output console ;-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The game's great! The npc idea was brilliant, it makes the game much more fun!

I could nit-pick but there's no need. It is what it is and I like it. ;)

Quote:

In the past*, I've used AlFont, and it did a good job.

*anything prior to what I refer to as the "OpenLayer Epoch" :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Sounds like I have a reason why to boot back into Windows.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Quote:

Sounds like I have a reason why to boot back into Windows.

You can compile it for Linux, its not too hard.

Quote:

I'm using freetype and a little freetype+allegro library that juvinious wrote, called ftalleg. The whole library is just 1 .cpp and 1.h file in paintown/trunk/src/util/ftalleg.cpp/.h

Quote:

have you looked into using that double scaling algorymths as the whole window was too small on my 1600x1200 monitor.

I played around with changing the screen size but a lot of things are hard coded so it will take me a while to get it working properly.

Quote:

The NPC option is really fun and the little screen system improves the limitations of the old-school beat'em ups, how did you come with that idea?

One day I was just annoyed that I had no idea what the NPC was doing, sometimes he wanders off and doesn't come back for a while so I thought a good way to keep tabs on him would be a minimap. BTW, you can turn it off if you hit tab.

Quote:

The help about keys is toooo fast to disappear when the level starts (yeah, I have read the readme, but heh, not anyone is going to do so ! )

Ok, I can leave the help menu up longer but if you hit F1 the help menu will reappear.

Quote:

The menu is faaar way too long to appear, as every text before a level. I think you should reduce a little the delay between two character display.

I don't understand what you mean here.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Quote:

I don't understand what you mean here.

I mean that when I launch the game, the text of each line of the menu is drawn byte per byte, and that I must wait before selecting a line.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

You can compile it for Linux, its not too hard.

I'm just damn lazy 8-)

Fun game, again proved me that I cannot play this type of games. Anyway it looks polished.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The first thing I tried to do was kill the cat. :-/ I didn't play it much, but it looks like it could be a good game.

I just don't like the name, especially when written as one word since "paint" is how I naturally read it.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

paintpwn :P

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Dammit, I was reading as paint-town and was thinking what the hell has it to do with the theme of the game.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

How bout like "City of Pain"

heh, I hope you like pain! :o ;D

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

;D Reminded me of that clip with light-saber...

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Hah the nunchuck backflip is classic.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I gave it a shot. Played through level one with Ryu, started the second level and got killed by the guys with sticks. The red-dressed chicks cart wheeled me to death, haha.

Anyway, after that, I chose a different character and tried to play level two. I got this error in your console:

{"name":"594221","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c53be1f90e6943b9f1d68154d874636.png","w":667,"h":338,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c53be1f90e6943b9f1d68154d874636"}594221

Also, when I grab somebody, what am I supposed to do next. I can't seem to attack them and then they just break the grab. ???

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Uhm, that error doesn't really make sense. Did you just double click the executable to run it? Basically the game chose the incorrect set of levels to play and tried to parse them.

Quote:

Anyway, after that, I chose a different character and tried to play level two. I got this error in your console:

Did you manually edit one of the level files or something? or maybe did you do
$ paintown -d data/levels/easy
?

Quote:

Also, when I grab somebody, what am I supposed to do next. I can't seem to attack them and then they just break the grab. ???

For any character that can grab, back + attack1 will throw the enemy. Some characters like Max, Akuma, and Mandy can hit the enemy while grabbing them by pressing attack1 or attack2.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Did you just double click the executable to run it?

I did and the first level I played worked fine. It occurred after I finished the first level, died on the second level, and then attempted to choose the second level with a different character after going back to the main menu.

Quote:

Did you manually edit one of the level files or something? or maybe did you do
$ paintown -d data/levels/easy
?

No.

Quote:

For any character that can grab, back + attack1 will throw the enemy. Some characters like Max, Akuma, and Mandy can hit the enemy while grabbing them by pressing attack1 or attack2.

Heh, sweet.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Quote:

I did and the first level I played worked fine. It occurred after I finished the first level, died on the second level, and then attempted to choose the second level with a different character after going back to the main menu.

There is no way to choose the second level from the main menu. How did you accomplish this?

Can you also try running the game with '-l 1' to debug it a little more?

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Very nice game. I especially like the death animation where the sprite crumbles into a bunch of pieces. It's a cool looking effect.

By the way, out of curiosity, is the "data/sounds/get.wav" ripped from Beyond Oasis? I suppose it's possible that sound could have been used in any number of games, but I immediately thought Beyond Oasis when I first picked up some food.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I got the get.wav sound from beats of rage which probably ripped it from some other well known game.

1   2 

Go to: