Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » paintown 3.0 rc1

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
paintown 3.0 rc1
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I double click paintown.exe. Then select "Adventure mode". Then I see the options: "data//levels/paintown.txt" and "data//levels/w1.txt". I figured w1.txt was the second level and that's what I was referring to. BTW, if I try to select w1.txt from the beginning, it let's me choose a character and then it goes back to the main menu. If I try it again after that, the program crashes (sometimes).

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Then something is terribly wrong, because I haven't had that option. Anyway you got me inspired kazzmir, some time ago I played a small flash game, where you ran on one side of a street and were shooting baddies on the other side. You could hide besides cars etc. It was quite fun and I thought of implementing a style of levels like you have - ie. you can walk "up and down" and doing the same like in the flash game. I really like how your game looks.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Quote:

Then I see the options: "data//levels/paintown.txt" and "data//levels/w1.txt"

Oh, thats what I figured. Those are actually level sets. w1.txt was an old testing thing, you must have had it from an old installation of paintown. You can just erase it.

If you just want to try level 2, go into data/levels/paintown.txt and reorder the filenames. Its quite simple.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

ARRRGG!!! Hit ESC key during credits and it locked up.. Music plays in the background, but the screen does not change. Had to use task manager to close the game. I'm using Vista and this is what was displayed in the debug window...

Paintown by Jon Rafkind
-w : Fullscreen mode
-d <path> : Use data path of <path>. Default is ./data/
-l # : Enable debug statements. Higher numbers gives more debugging. Default is 0. Example: -l 3
-m : Turn off music

-- BEGIN init --
Allegro version: 4.2.1
Allegro init: 0
Install timer: 0
Install sound: 0
Install keyboard: 0
Install mouse: 3
Set gfx mode: 0
Install game timer: 0
Install second timer: 0
-- END init --
Loaded data//music/aqua.s3m type .s3m( 1 )
Loaded data//music/kilimanz.mod type .mod( 3 )
Loaded data//music/c_heaven.xm type .xm( 0 )
Loaded data//music/aqua.s3m type .s3m( 1 )

Not sure if its usefull though.

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Network coop mode is pretty fun, if you haven't tried it.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Very neat game. I first thought its "Paint Town". I still read it paint town instead of pain town. :P

Great gfx and effects. But damn its too hard for me. Once your down they just keep coming at you and don't give you a chance to pick yourself up. Thats the only thing in the game that pissed me off. ;D

Anyway this is a quality game. Good work!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

When I saw this thread, I thought it must be some kind of drawing program or something. (paint town)
Then when I saw it was a fighting game, I thought that the graffiti on the walls and such must play a big part in the game. I did notice that there was only one 't', but I assumed that was a style thing. I didn't think of 'pain' until M.L.'s post. Crazy, eh?

-----------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Am I the only person who read it as Pain Town... you know... correctly?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Heh same here, pain normally stands out more than paint. Geeks. :P

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Quote:

Am I the only person who read it as Pain Town... you know... correctly?

Yes. I read it as "Pa In Town"... this game does follow the story of a drunken father beating his children, right?

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

1   2 

Go to: