Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » setting up

Credits go to aj5555, Arthur Kalliokoski, Edgar Reynaldo, emupaul, GullRaDriel, LennyLen, Mark Oates, OICW, and Ron Novy for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
setting up
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Since you replied things changed a bit. Here's how my directory looks now -

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/594204

Can you refer to this image when explaining what to do ?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Try this:

Go to Settings->Compiler and Debugger->Toolchain executables and add the following lines to Additional paths:

c:\codeblocks\devpaks\bin c:\codeblocks\devpaks\include

edit:

Or, find the allegro DecPak, and change the .DevPak extension to .tar.bz2 and then extract all the contents to your MinGW directory.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks.
I did what you said and now I can compile C programs but still it can't find
allegro.h .

I'm thinking of trying your second idea but am wondering if I'd do just as well to download the source and compile it. What do you think ?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Well, you would get a later version that way since the DevPak is 4.2.1. You can always just download the prcompiled library.

emupaul
Member #9,393
January 2008

dumb question... but are u including it like this?
<allegro.h> or <allegro/allegro.h>

{"name":"dir.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/10635cc48f6efabf0d126aa280f489fb.jpg","w":728,"h":449,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/10635cc48f6efabf0d126aa280f489fb"}dir.jpg

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

<allegro.h>

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

first off.. I don't suggest installing mingw32 in the codeblocks folder... Installing mingw in C:\MinGW folder is usually best and easiest especially if you update codeblocks later on...

From the www.MinGW.org download page.

Quote:

The easiest way to install MinGW is through the mingw-installer found in the Current package set, Current->MinGW

Here is a link to the Source forge page.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435

after that just setup the environment variables MINGW and PATH and then from the command prompt you would do this...

C:            // Drive where you installed allegro
CD\Allegro    // Or wherever you installed allegro
fix mingw32
make all
make installall

Then let it compile... It's tedious and it takes awhile to compile but this will work... Make should put everything in the right places for MinGW... If you don't have many things installed into codeblocks then I'd suggest uninstalling and re-installing after MinGW is setup because codeblocks should detect it and use it by default and it will get rid of any changes that might keep you from using it properly.

Hopefully after I finish the Allegro Installer people won't have any problems ;D

[edit] During Automated install Select 'G++ compiler' and 'MinGW make'

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

EDIT:
What are your linker commands?

Oh and I thought that on Linux everything will be harder. But as I see a horror story about installing and getting Code::Blocks working under Windows I'm glad I left them.

I'd suggest you to compile allegro from sources. I had to do that even on Windows in order to get AllegroGL done. Since then I'm quite accustomed to compile things by hand. Unfortunately the Windows environment is not so friendly to this out of box.

I agree with what you stated in the previous thread - we could use a little refresh in the help system.

Quote:

How about we have a single place where people can go and download precompiled libraries for any platform. Precompiled installer packages of opensource ide's etc. All this and source code(s). A one stop shop. None of this "go to site x and click on svn loader repository looptie doo

God I hate that!

I second that. I remember when I was trying to compile OpenLayer for the first time. I thought I'll go on killing spree - at first I had to download svn manager and then overcome bazillion of problems. Maybe we should write a wiki page. With detailed how-to. It could contain a links to other pages - especially the Code::Blocks tutorials someone posted in the other thread were usefull.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Continuuing the other half of this discussion from here : Other Setting Up thread

- William -
You said you've separated your folders for mingw and code blocks but you've still got your %PATH% and your %MINGDIR% pointing to your code blocks directories.

You also said that you can't find gcc.exe or mingw32-gcc.exe , they should both be in the bin subfolder of your mingw directory. If they're not there , then mingw wasn't installed correctly. Getting MinGW installed manually is not such a big deal , just follow the directions here :
Code::Blocks wiki MinGW installation guide
Let us know how it goes. ;)

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Perhaps you'll be pleased to hear that I've made some progress.
I'm trying to run a simple allegro program. It compiles without problems but it
can't be run because alleg42.dll can't be found.

I installed the allegro in a folder called devpaks which I put in the MinGW directory.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I didn't know I had to do that. I was using the devpak utility.

Which directory should I make install from ?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

If you want to use Code::Blocks , you should compile Allegro yourself or download a precompiled version for mingw.
Go to the allegro files web page and

Compile it yourself
Download the zip file for allegro 4.2.2 source code and extract it to your mingw directory.
Go to the command line and "cd" to the newly created allegro directory.
For each combination of parameters that you would like , enter

make [parameter1] [parameter2]
make install [parameter1] [parameter2]

where [parameter1] is either "DEBUGMODE=1" , nothing , or "PROFILEMODE=1" , and [parameter2] is either "STATICLINK=1" , or nothing. (No brackets or quotes)

You can also use "make all" and "make install all" but I've never tried that , and I don't know if it makes any of the static versions.

Pre-compiled version
Head down to the binary section of the allegro files web page and download and/or extract your favorite files. If you download the non-executeable binaries , you'll probably need to copy the dll's over to your %WINDOWS%\system32 folder yourself.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

If the allegro is up and ready, all you need is to copy those dll files into your system32 folder, or have alleg42.dll by your executable.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

aj5555
Member #9,033
September 2007

it is no longer a wise idea to be putting DLL's in the system32 folder.

put them with the application that uses them.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks for all the help, especially LennyLen and Edgar.
I've finally got it working and I've learnt a lesson or two aswell.
I'm really grateful for your patience and goodwilling-ness.

BTW I just put the file in the system32 folder because I didn't fancy copying it to every folder I make an allegro program in.

aj5555
Member #9,033
September 2007

So you choice the lazy path, instead of the right path. Good luck with life.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

There's nothing lazy about it , he develops allegro programs , there's no sense in him making a copy of the same dll to every folder he ever puts an allegro program in. For the end user , yeah maybe since that way they'll always have an appropriate version of the dll , but otherwise , there's really no big deal with it.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Because real men put a copy of Microsoft Runtime libraries in EVERY bin/debug and bin/relase directory 8-)

1   2   3 

Go to: