Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » brain teaser

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
brain teaser
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

In which direction is the woman spinning? If clockwise, apparently you are "right brained." If counter-clockwise, "left brained."

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Shes turning clockwise. Damn, how could it be diffrent? Except their showing random flash clips to visitors...

In capitalist America bank robs you.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Seems to spin clockwise to me, however if i mask about 1/3 of the right side i can perceive it spinning counter-clockwise during the the half of the animation where the raised foot is on the left side. Also if i focus at the lower left corner of the image instead of the figure itself i can perceive it turning 180 degrees clockwise, then flipping 180 degrees, then turning 180 degrees counter-clockwise and flipping 180 degrees again. Weird. :P

You don't deserve my sig.

anonymous
Member #8025
November 2006

Interesting indeed. At first I saw her spinning clockwise. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't see her spinning the other way. Then something caught my attention outside and when I looked back, lo! the direction had changed.
Seems to be the same old "stairs going down or stairs going up" illusion, except prettier.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I can quickly change between clockwise and anticlockwise, flashing my view helps.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I see her rotating clockwise but if I block out the top half and then blur my vision, I can make her look like she's spinning counter-clockwise.

Would it hurt to have colour?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It depends if I look from the bottom up or from the top down :)

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Quote:

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

With the arms spinning the way they do, how can she be spinning anti-clockwise???

OH MY!!!!!

She just changed direction. For about 30 seconds then she changed back.

I must be right-brained.

Just a question. How many people can look at the pictures of random colors that are supposed to have hidden images? I have one that if you stare at it long enough you should see an underwater scene with a sunken ship, sharks, ...

I can stare at it forever and can't see a thing.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Same here. I was watching it, and suddenly the direction changed,

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

With the arms spinning the way they do, how can she be spinning anti-clockwise???

Same question but the opposite. How can it turn clocwise ???

I stared at it for about three minutes but it still kept rotating the same way

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I posted it because I disagree with the supposed relevance of the perceived direction. She spins clockwise; there's no doubt about that. (Open it up in an editor.) I cannot trick myself into seeing otherwise.

The article claims that most people will see her spin counter-clockwise and therefore be "left brained." If you see her move counter-clockwise, you just are gullible. I think the whole concept of grouping people into two distinct groups depending on if they are "right brained" or "left brained" is fraudulent. :P

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I agree. But since when has science ever been presented accurately in the media? :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yeah, she is talented like that.

You edited!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

WAIT! WAIT! I just covered the upper half and blurred my vision. And WHOOAA! She's spinning counter-clockwise. Then I looked away and back again, I see her spinning clockwise!

BLACK MAGIC I TELL YOU! BLACK MAGIC!!!11!one

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I stared at the boobs, what does that prove?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It means your marriage is in jeopardy.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Quote:

She spins clockwise; there's no doubt about that. (Open it up in an editor.) I cannot trick myself into seeing otherwise.

I disagree. I think there is no correct direction - without texture or prespective, both are valid. I can make her appear to spin in either direction by focussing on her out-stretched leg and then saying "behind, in front, behind, in front" as her leg moves from left to right. If I reverse this, she spins in the opposite direction.

If someone can be bothered: Edit the animation so that there is a white dot on her thigh which is obsured depending on her direction - I'm sure this will help you to see her spinning in the opposite direction.s

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I took the first frame and tried to draw the hair and the boobs. Tell me which way she is facing?

{"name":"593430","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f9bec6cda880189d1217adf4121cdf15.png","w":310,"h":299,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f9bec6cda880189d1217adf4121cdf15"}593430

You might have to enlarge it.

From the drawing is the foot on the right in back or in front of the girl?

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Exactly: neither is wrong when there is no perspective nor texture.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

The problem is:

"there is no spoon"

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

The real prolem is:

Matrix quotes are old.

You don't deserve my sig.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

She goes both ways for me. Let me rephrase that. I can view her as spinning either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

She is not spinning. The camera is moving around her, creating the illusion.

[edit]

I only see her spinning counterclockwise. Counterclockwise is an oxymoronic term, of course. If you watch the earth from above you will notice it spins counterclockwise, but the earth is the standard on which time, and the terms clockwise and counterclockwise are based.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

It means your marriage is in jeopardy.

That should spice things up. I mean, ur, ummm...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Quote:

The real prolem is:

Matrix quotes are old.

You are correct sir!

Or are Ed McMahon quotes old also?

1   2   3   4 

Go to: