Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » brain teaser

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
brain teaser
le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

OneWing, that means you're a healthy straight man. Not looking at other woman (even when in love) is kinda unnatural.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Um, could someone turn the lights on?

Her foot tip is about at same height from the floor, drawing a horizontal circle, if it is clockwise. But if it is counter-clockwise, it is not horizontal. And if clockwise, the heel bounces strangely on the floor and the ankle is in an unnatural angle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

At first I saw it turning anti-clowise, then I looked at the text on the left and then again on the picture and since then, she's turning clockwise.

Onewing: me too 8-)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Now she is turning clockwise. What is going on here?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

My whole family agrees she's turning clockwise. :P

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

593432 593433

What about these? I retract my statements regarding the obvious direction, although I do not buy the whole this represents right / left brain generalization at all.

The interesting thing for me is that when I play the right one (reverse of the original on the left) alone, I can make it go any direction I want. I can make her spin clockwise or counter-clockwise by just thinking about it. Or I can make her go go both ways (reversing every half spin when the outer foot is near a side).

However, the left image always goes clockwise no matter how hard I try to visualize it in the other direction.

When they spin together, they either both go clockwise or the left one goes clockwise while the right one counter-clockwise (depending on their synchronization).

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Quote:

The interesting thing for me is that when I play the right one (reverse of the original on the left) alone, I can make it go any direction I want. I can make her spin clockwise or counter-clockwise by just thinking about it. Or I can make her go go both ways (reversing every half spin when the outer foot is near a side).

However, the left image always goes clockwise no matter how hard I try to visualize it in the other direction.

When they spin together, they either both go clockwise or the left one goes clockwise while the right one counter-clockwise (depending on their synchronization).

Exactly the same for me. The left one always is clockwise, but the right one I can change at will. And myself, I believe everything stated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#Popular_misconceptions - so the whole left/right brain thing is made up.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

lambik
Member #899
January 2001

Interesting.. the original image was first counter-clockwise but when I looked away it swapped directions. Matthew's pictures spin in opposite directions of eachother but here also the tend to swap when I look elsewhere. Left or right brain I don't know ;D

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

Interesting. After looking at the right one, I can make any of the images (even the original one) go in any direction I want.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yep, very interesting. Every time I read the text and go back to the picture, it is spinning in a different direction.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The one to the right, that is the reversed animation, looks unnatural because of the reversed action. No one would keep their leg like that, pointing ahead of the rotation. The lady at the left keeps the leg following the rotation of the body, no matter of how you perceive the direction. The backwardness of the movement in the right animation probably allows us to easier shift the rotation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It's a bad model for the effect. Her foot is lower when moving to the left and higher moving the right. This is called a "depth cue" and implies that the foot is further away when higher and closer when lower. To fix it they need to have a flat image instead of a 3d model... maybe an orthographic projection.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Generally she rotates clockwise for me, but I have managed to get her to oscillate ;D

I'm viewing it through firefox, and she's spinning quite fast (1 second for a rotation). For my workmates using IE, she's taking about 2-3 seconds to rotate.

Most of my workmates (programmers) see her turning clockwise. But you'd expect us to be more left brained - factual, logic, detailed etc.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I can see Matt's double image as both rotating clockwise or counterclockwise at the same time, but it makes my head hurt, like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

amber
Member #6,783
January 2006

For me, after staring at it for a while, it stopped rotating at all, instead it was sort of oscillating back and forth, always facing front.

I think that's like how if you stare at a word (especially a kind of funny looking word) for long enough it stops making sense.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

That's not supposed to make your head hurt.

On topic, Matthew's pictures render wrong in Konqueror (http://stanley.homelinux.org/badimg.png), and I appear to be able to make her change direction with a little thought.

longear
Member #5,642
March 2005

I think you can change the direction by looking at the tiptoes.
If she is spinning anticlockwise and you look at the standing foot, the direction changes because the movement of the foot is not realistic!
If spinning clockwise a look at the stretched foot will change direction if it is on the left side.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I can make the reversed and original spin in either direction. I'm well-rounded. ;D

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

I saw only counter on the first one; I need to look at the double more.

Bob Keane said:

Counterclockwise is an oxymoronic term, of course. If you watch the earth from above you will notice it spins counterclockwise, but the earth is the standard on which time, and the terms clockwise and counterclockwise are based.

Um WRONG.

The INTERNETS said:

The direction that clock hands rotate. From the12:00 position clock hands would rotate to the right. See also counterclockwise.

The term clockwise is A to > to V to < to A...so...wrong. :D

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I think you see both directions because while it is spinning clockwise, the location of the body parts, especially the legs, suggest anti-clockwise.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

TeamTerradactyl
Member #7,733
September 2006

I see both ways, but the shadow of her foot across the bottom always resets my vision to where she's going clockwise: if she were going counter-clockwise, the shadow of her foot would be behind the shadow of the stationary foot, not in front of it. But if you don't look at the shadow, it alternates for me.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Her momentum / weight-balance makes her go clockwise*. To think she could go counter-clockwise* would defy physics. If you believe the right side of the brain thinks logically and the left side of the brain is just emotions the statement could be true. Peronsally, I don't.

But maybe, it is a good filter for rational minds vs irrational minds in the realm of physics. This makes the author's statement pretty humorous yet sadly and perceivably true:

Author said:

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise

* Clockwise is defined from bird's eye view over the girls head, looking down at her.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Except that he's claiming it to be the other way around.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

They both seem to be really obviously turning counterclockwise. That is really weird.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

My theory is that it's somehow related to this. Because your brain isn't given enough information, it guesses based on past information but it won't always guess the same. Perhaps it guesses differently based on when you start looking at the picture...

Also, I tend to see the animation counterclockwise but sometimes it switches. It switched once when I read longear's post and looked back.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: